The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Diet & Nutrition
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Diet & Nutrition What you need to eat in order to grow.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to nicotico's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 8th, 2014, 06:00 PM

nicotico is on a distinguished road
Is it too early to start supplementing?

I'm really tired in the afternoon, which happens to be right before I start working out. Should I start using a supplement?

A bit of history: I've struggled with weight and fitness my whole life. Last year I half-assed a weight routine in my apartment gym to little effect. This year I decided to get serious. I joined a climbing gym, and they offer their own climbing-customized version of crossfit. I'm doing that five days a week, plus an additional day of pure climbing. I started at the beginning of February, and I'm already seeing results in how I look and feel.

The problem: The class is after work, and I'm tired by the time it starts. Working out wakes me up a bit, but I still get cardio exhausted before my muscles start giving out. I drink a protein shake between work and the gym already, should I add a supplement to that to give me an energy boost?

I was looking at Cellucor C4 ExtremeCellucor C4 Extreme , just because that's what they have at Costco, but I'd like to hear you guys' thoughts on the matter.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to The Magus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 8th, 2014, 06:19 PM

The Magus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to The Magus
My opinion is that most supplements (except protein and creatine) are wasted on beginners. In general, until you have your workouts and diet locked in consistently over time, most of the effect you get from any supplement is more likely to be a placebo effect than anything significant. Diet and quality gym time account for 99% of success and supplements are 1%. Keep in mind, too, that your body takes time to adapt. Even without supplements, if your body knows you have cardio or heavy activity after work every day, it will slowly start to change itself to make sure you have the energy you need....but that process takes weeks. And if you are taking supplements, your body may not think it needs to adapt, because it could come to expect a chemical assist.

That said, everybody is different, so this might be a good choice for you. I personally think you'd be better off just having a strong cup of coffee before you leave work (as caffiene has been shown to be effectivr and relatively safe) but if you're already adapted to coffee you might need somethong more.

Keep in mind, also, that any stimulant yiu take later in the day can affect the quality of your sleep, which can create a self reinforcing cycle....
  #3   Add to inflated's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 14th, 2014, 08:56 AM

inflated is on a distinguished road
Get your diet right before adding supplements, good healthy food is better than any supplements which are really only good because of their convenience.
  #4   Add to MuscledHorse's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 15th, 2014, 08:57 PM

MuscledHorse is on a distinguished road
I agree with the above two posters, though I will go further than The Magus and say that most supplements beyond creatine and protein variety aren't just wasted on beginners--they are a waste, period. The "pre-workout" drinks are crammed full of things like caffeine and sugar. Worse still, the Dietary Supplement Act of 1994 was set up to benefit the supplement makers, so you don't really know what you are actually buying. The documentary film "Bigger, Stronger, Faster" does a great job as exposing the supplement industry. I stick to water to drink, creatine, and a good post workout protein that has a good mix of protein and carbs, BUT hasn't been crammed full of sugar to artificially inflate the carbs.

Still, number one: get your diet right first and get your training more consistent before adding in supplements
  #5   Add to The Magus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 16th, 2014, 08:11 AM

The Magus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to The Magus
I'm 100% in agreement with you MuscledHorse. Science seems to be, too. The only supplements (other than medical drugs like hormones etc that are mostly illegal withiut a prescription) that seem to work in controlled studies are protein (which is really more of a "food" than a performance enhancer) creatine, caffiene, and eca (ephedrine/caffiene/aspirin stacks which may be illegal depending on where you are and is not necessarily safe). Everything else is - so far as we know - no better than a placebo.

But every advanced lifter seems to have their favourite routine/supplement/superstition so if it works I'm not gonna knock it.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options