The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Muscle & Mind
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Yesterday at 11:53 PM

Notices

Muscle & Mind Motivation, Inspiration and The Mind. What drives you?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to Juggarnaut's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 8th, 2007, 11:55 AM

Juggarnaut is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Juggarnaut
your own worst critic

Not sure how many of you guys do this to yourself or not , but how do your over come being so critical of your self ( ie focus more on the good gains and less on what always needs improvement)

I think it is important to strike a good balance between the two - just like to hear others thoughts on the matter

Thank you

Jugg
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to b.spencer's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 8th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Gaining Muscle Rep by Rep

b.spencer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to b.spencer
I wish I knew . . .

I wish that I knew how to do that.

I really am my own worst critic, by far. I never seem to give myself credit for what I've accomplished. I always focus on what I haven't been able to to do yet or what lift or bodypart should be better than it is. I'm a huge perfectionist anyway; so maybe that's part of it.

I get some of that balance from other people, telling me that I should be proud, that I'm much further along than where someone in my situation typically is. I'm flattered when those things happen, but, in the end, I'll reason them away, as just their being kind or something.

Brad
  #3   Add to Juggarnaut's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 9th, 2007, 02:33 PM

Thanks Brad

I am the same way

and BTW you look great bro - keep it up

Jugg

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.spencer
I wish that I knew how to do that.

I really am my own worst critic, by far. I never seem to give myself credit for what I've accomplished. I always focus on what I haven't been able to to do yet or what lift or bodypart should be better than it is. I'm a huge perfectionist anyway; so maybe that's part of it.

I get some of that balance from other people, telling me that I should be proud, that I'm much further along than where someone in my situation typically is. I'm flattered when those things happen, but, in the end, I'll reason them away, as just their being kind or something.

Brad
  #4   Add to b.spencer's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 10th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Gaining Muscle Rep by Rep

b.spencer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to b.spencer
Thanks Jugg.

You look awesome yourself. Can't wait to see how things go for you in the challenge. No offense to Corwin or the others going for it (you all are great guys and look fantastic), but my gut says you have the edge. You guys measure almost identically, but that narrow waist of yours really makes your physique stand out that much more, both upper and lower body. (Damn, I'm envious again.) That's just being honest, really.

Brad

PS - You weren't just being nice were you??? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggarnaut
Thanks Brad

I am the same way

and BTW you look great bro - keep it up

Jugg
  #5   Add to Juggarnaut's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 11th, 2007, 07:55 AM

Brad

Thanks for the kind words - I do have my work cut out for me in the challenge - Corwin is a tuff cookie to beat as is megahuge..... I will have to really kick it up to stay ahead of the pack on this one for sure.

And no I was not just being nice - I give compliments where due buddy - your hard work is paying off and it shows... you have no reason to be envious of me ... matter of fact I was thinking how envious ia am you _LOL

Take care

Jugg

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.spencer
Thanks Jugg.

You look awesome yourself. Can't wait to see how things go for you in the challenge. No offense to Corwin or the others going for it (you all are great guys and look fantastic), but my gut says you have the edge. You guys measure almost identically, but that narrow waist of yours really makes your physique stand out that much more, both upper and lower body. (Damn, I'm envious again.) That's just being honest, really.

Brad

PS - You weren't just being nice were you??? LOL
  #6   Add to dallasmsl's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 13th, 2007, 03:39 AM

dallasmsl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dallasmsl
You SHOULD be your own worst critic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggarnaut
Not sure how many of you guys do this to yourself or not , but how do your over come being so critical of your self ( ie focus more on the good gains and less on what always needs improvement)

I think it is important to strike a good balance between the two - just like to hear others thoughts on the matter

Thank you

Jugg
If you can't look at yourself objectively, then you aren't looking at yourself realistically. Many friends will "lie" to you but without intending to harm you; they want to be your friends and tell you how much you've progressed which is great. But, it doesn't help you realize your faults - like those skinny legs (speaking of myself) or those love handles (speaking of myself). If you want to have the body that you THINK you want, you have to be your own worst critic.
Just my opinion.
Dave
  #7   Add to DaBigGuy1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 13th, 2007, 09:30 PM
DaBigGuy1

DaBigGuy1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to DaBigGuy1
Right on target.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasmsl
If you can't look at yourself objectively, then you aren't looking at yourself realistically. Many friends will "lie" to you but without intending to harm you; they want to be your friends and tell you how much you've progressed which is great. But, it doesn't help you realize your faults - like those skinny legs (speaking of myself) or those love handles (speaking of myself). If you want to have the body that you THINK you want, you have to be your own worst critic.
Just my opinion.
Dave
I couldn't agree more, Dallas! You have to be honest with yourself and look at yourself objectively. I know that when I am assessing myself I am TRULY my own worst critic, and it is not as if I beat myself up, I just channel it in the gym and make the change. Because when you think that you are satisfied, you don't really push the limits if you think that you are already there! In short....STAY HUNGRY!

Ron IIII----IIII
  #8   Add to anrikero's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 20th, 2007, 05:17 PM

anrikero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to anrikero
I am my worst critic

That is completely true. I think the same way. I am the worst critic of myself. But I don't use it to destroy my self steem but to analyze what I should improve in my training and dieting routine. I think that always there would be something to improve and those things will keep us all pushing it further, raising the bar....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigGuy1
I couldn't agree more, Dallas! You have to be honest with yourself and look at yourself objectively. I know that when I am assessing myself I am TRULY my own worst critic, and it is not as if I beat myself up, I just channel it in the gym and make the change. Because when you think that you are satisfied, you don't really push the limits if you think that you are already there! In short....STAY HUNGRY!

Ron IIII----IIII
  #9   Add to BULKING_N's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 23rd, 2007, 01:29 PM

BULKING_N is on a distinguished road
Agreed 101% . Great post guys.
  #10   Add to Karej's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 11th, 2007, 10:18 PM

Karej is on a distinguished road
A balance is what is needed. I find that perfectionism can be quite destructive in both my physical regimen and in my artwork. Letting go of it has oddly improved both my body and my art. I guess it all depends on you.
  #11   Add to inflated's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 22nd, 2008, 10:18 PM

inflated is on a distinguished road
As with anything, enjoying what you do is really important. When its fun is when you achieve the most progress, attitude is half the battle.
  #12   Add to xythan_shadow's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 23rd, 2008, 12:03 AM
Writer and Lifter

xythan_shadow is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to xythan_shadow Send a message via Yahoo to xythan_shadow
I know I'm my worst critic. People tell me that I'm already huge, but I can only see the parts that I need work on like my chest and gut. One day I will get to the point where I'm less critical of myself, but that's far off it for me.
  #13   Add to nj.'s Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 24th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Still going strong

nj. has disabled reputation
Hey, other people can't stare at you for several minutes without it becoming awkward. Of course they cannot see all that you can see!

But if somebody else tells you you look good, don't dismiss it; it means that you have at least achieved something good, whether it's entirely what you wanted or not.

As said before, it's all about balance. Putting yourself down is only going to demotivate yourself.

I just came back from the gym and during my work-out, I was thinking: 'damn, I wish I could lift heavier on this exercise by now', and then I realised 'well, there's only one way to get there: going up, step by step!'. And guess what? I did better than ever before.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options