The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Watch Me Grow
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Watch Me Grow Discuss your own personal muscle goals and document your bodybuilding progress, including gains in size and strength and also get encouragement from others.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to mikej's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 2nd, 2007, 04:58 AM

mikej is on a distinguished road
Tired of being small

Alright, here goes nothing. I've been lifting for a long time now, and I've made a lot of really good gains. I'm 5'11", and weighed 160 pounds in college. After college I ballooned up to a FAT 210. That's when I got into working out. I did Body for Life, and got down to 175 or so. Last fall I made a conscious effort to get bigger, and found that my body responds really well to bulking, putting on muscle pretty easily. I got up to 200 pounds and felt really great about the muscle I had put on. I stopped gaining weight though, and have coasted back down to 185-ish.

I'm tired of being "fit" but little. I'm on a mission to pack on some serious size, starting yesterday. My plan is to try to gain 2 pounds per week for the next couple of months, and depending on how it goes perhaps even beyond. I wouldn't mind blowing up HUGE to like 240 if I'm gaining more muscle than fat.

I'm all about getting help, so I'm going to use you guys to motivate me. I want you to watch. I videotaped a weigh-in, and I plan on taping all of my weigh-ins, once per week.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=adam8mel

Here's to getting freaky big. Your encouragement is VERY much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to dallasmsl's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 2nd, 2007, 05:04 AM

dallasmsl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dallasmsl
Looks like you're on your way!

Congratulations!
First, for setting GOALS for yourself. So many guys wander aimlessly into the gym but not really sure why.
Second: EAT! You're tall and lean and I know that's not what you want to be. Another BIG muscle man on this board eats religiously every two hours of calorie dense foods. He knows that if he wants to build muscle, he has to eat constantly. That's why he's 6'1" and 245 pounds of solid man. He gets hit on everytime he walks out the door!

Good luck!
  #3   Add to b.spencer's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 2nd, 2007, 05:06 AM
Gaining Muscle Rep by Rep

b.spencer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to b.spencer
Hi,

Just wanted to say that you look great now, but I can't wait to see you as a muscle monster. Good Luck

Brad
  #4   Add to 1bigwoof's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 2nd, 2007, 05:19 AM
MASS Matters

1bigwoof is on a distinguished road
Excellent Base

I concur with dallasmsl's comments. As you noted on your video, your abs will be gone soon if you plan on bulking that fast. As lean as you are now though, even with another 25lbs (3 months), you'll still look great. On your video, it seemed like you planned to record on film each day. I would encourage you to cut back to once or twice a week. Weigh every day if you'd like (although with fluctuations, once or twice a week might be better there, too). Lift consistently and increase your weights and/or reps each workout. Eat LOTS. Best of luck on SMASHING your goals!
  #5   Add to Notbigenuff's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 2nd, 2007, 06:41 AM

Notbigenuff
Send a message via AIM to Notbigenuff Send a message via Yahoo to Notbigenuff
I think the video is a cool idea and an excellent way to record not only your gains but your thoughts at the time of the weigh. I agree that you look pretty good now, but some extra size will really turn some heads! Your goal of 2 lbs a week is ambitious, but it sounds like you are determined and that's half (if not more) of the battle. Good luck and I look forward to watching you swell up!
  #6   Add to mikej's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 2nd, 2007, 06:56 AM

Thanks for the kind words! I know 2 pounds a week is a lot, and especially a lot to maintain for a long period of time without gaining a lot of fat. Should I maybe aim for a pound per week but go for a longer period of time?

I recently saw a personal trainer, and that was his advice... a pound per week. Maybe "slow and steady" is better?

AND... I'm not shooting every day. I know better. Twice a week, max.
  #7   Add to Notbigenuff's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 2nd, 2007, 08:19 AM

Notbigenuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej
Thanks for the kind words! I know 2 pounds a week is a lot, and especially a lot to maintain for a long period of time without gaining a lot of fat. Should I maybe aim for a pound per week but go for a longer period of time?

I recently saw a personal trainer, and that was his advice... a pound per week. Maybe "slow and steady" is better?

AND... I'm not shooting every day. I know better. Twice a week, max.
Well, of course you can gain 2 lbs a week (believe me), but the problem is that about half of it will likely be fat. Remember, fat cells just need to be filled up to add weight, muscle has to actually grow (I know this is an oversimplification of the process, but I think it is essentially correct). You might try upping your calories enough to gain a couple pounds a week and see how you look and/or have your bodyfat tested every two weeks or so then cut back if the bodyfat % starts to go up significantly.

You never know, you appear to have a good base to work with and you may add muscle easier than the average guy!
  #8   Add to mikej's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 2nd, 2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasmsl
Congratulations!
First, for setting GOALS for yourself. So many guys wander aimlessly into the gym but not really sure why.
Second: EAT! You're tall and lean and I know that's not what you want to be. Another BIG muscle man on this board eats religiously every two hours of calorie dense foods. He knows that if he wants to build muscle, he has to eat constantly. That's why he's 6'1" and 245 pounds of solid man. He gets hit on everytime he walks out the door!

Good luck!
Thanks for the comment! I totally agree that having goals is a good idea. I've been lifting for awhile now, and I want to make a big change, but I certainly haven't been "wandering aimlessly". I'm in better shape than the wanderers. Your point is taken though. I keep saying 2 pounds per week, but I'm starting to come to the conclusion that 1 pound per week is safer/leaner. My first major goal will be 227 (40 pounds), and I'll take most of a year to do it.

I'm eating 6 times a day, aiming initially for 3,500 calories. If that isn't working I'll bump it up.

What I definitely want to avoid is doing the "bulk forever" thing, where I tell myself it's a good thing but really I'm just getting fat.
  #9   Add to DonnieJvilleNC's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 2nd, 2007, 05:08 PM
Pop Culture Savant

DonnieJvilleNC is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonnieJvilleNC Send a message via MSN to DonnieJvilleNC Send a message via Yahoo to DonnieJvilleNC
Mike,

Excellent video! I really enjoyed watching. Good luck with your goal. I can't wait to see your progress.

Donnie
Jacksonville, Onslow County, NC, USA
I'm reminded of the immortal last words of Socrates who said, "I Drank What?!"
  #10   Add to giantw's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 2nd, 2007, 06:09 PM

giantw is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to giantw
You look good NOW! A nice solid foundation to build on...

I will be following your posts and complimenting you on the way, to be sure. I already love the way your pecs and arms fill out that shirt! But don't rush things. If you set your goals too high you may end up dissapointed and disenchanted. I really would take a "slow but steady" approach in order to pack on quality mass. You can't rush greatness! Best of luck.
  #11   Add to DaBigGuy1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 2nd, 2007, 10:39 PM
DaBigGuy1

DaBigGuy1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to DaBigGuy1
Very well put....

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantw
You look good NOW! A nice solid foundation to build on...

I will be following your posts and complimenting you on the way, to be sure. I already love the way your pecs and arms fill out that shirt! But don't rush things. If you set your goals too high you may end up dissapointed and disenchanted. I really would take a "slow but steady" approach in order to pack on quality mass. You can't rush greatness! Best of luck.
Giantw is very right, you cannot rush it...

Look at it this way, you are doing something to your body, a body that you will have for a lifetime! I know how you feel as I was a whole 130 pounds at 6' tall in my late twenties. I am now very satisfied with my physique and have been for some time. It takes time, but what better way to spend that time than building a body that you'll love to look at in the mirror everyday?

Keep us posted on your progress and good luck in your growth!

Ron IIII----IIII
  #12   Add to loopyrhino2001's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 3rd, 2007, 09:57 PM
Gym Mouse

loopyrhino2001
Send a message via Yahoo to loopyrhino2001
Talking

mikej, I concur with those who think your physique looks great as is! Funny how one person's "small" is another person's "ideal"... I would love to eventually be proportioned like you are now. (I am 5'1" and not-quite-110 lb, so I know about being small!)

Good luck and keep us posted.
  #13   Add to mikej's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 4th, 2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopyrhino2001
mikej, I concur with those who think your physique looks great as is! Funny how one person's "small" is another person's "ideal"... I would love to eventually be proportioned like you are now. (I am 5'1" and not-quite-110 lb, so I know about being small!)

Good luck and keep us posted.
Thanks! I doubt I'm anyone's "ideal", but I know I'm not doing too bad compared to others around me. I'm just looking to get undeniably bigger and not get fat while it happens.

Not much you can do about being 5'1"... but the 110 pounds part you can totally change! Let me know if you want to compare notes on how to make that happen!! I'm no expert, obviously, but more than happy to help!
  #14   Add to MuscleMage's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 4th, 2007, 10:27 PM

MuscleMage
Everyone else seems to have covered what needs saying, but I have to comment, that last gesture of where you want your arms to be in the future was pretty hot :d

I'll think happy thoughts for your muscles
  #15   Add to mikej's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 6th, 2007, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleMage
Everyone else seems to have covered what needs saying, but I have to comment, that last gesture of where you want your arms to be in the future was pretty hot :d

I'll think happy thoughts for your muscles
Thanks! It's good to have goals!
9/1/07 goal: 203.8
  #16   Add to mikej's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 6th, 2007, 08:27 AM

New update video posted with week 1 results... it's only a week, but it's good to share!
  #17   Add to inflated's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 6th, 2007, 08:32 AM

inflated is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Alright, here goes nothing. I've been lifting for a long time now, and I've made a lot of really good gains. I'm 5'11", and weighed 160 pounds in college. After college I ballooned up to a FAT 210. That's when I got into working out. I did Body for Life, and got down to 175 or so. Last fall I made a conscious effort to get bigger, and found that my body responds really well to bulking, putting on muscle pretty easily. I got up to 200 pounds and felt really great about the muscle I had put on. I stopped gaining weight though, and have coasted back down to 185-ish.

I'm tired of being "fit" but little. I'm on a mission to pack on some serious size, starting yesterday. My plan is to try to gain 2 pounds per week for the next couple of months, and depending on how it goes perhaps even beyond. I wouldn't mind blowing up HUGE to like 240
With muscle memory you should have some good early gains. Remember the core lifts as the mainstay of your workout. Heavy squats, deadlifts and bench pressing all build size. Squats are the best overall bulking exercise. Good luck to you.
  #18   Add to DonnieJvilleNC's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 6th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Pop Culture Savant

DonnieJvilleNC is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonnieJvilleNC Send a message via MSN to DonnieJvilleNC Send a message via Yahoo to DonnieJvilleNC
Thanks for the week update, Mike. Looking good in the video. Congrats on the weight gain. Keep up the great job and that tshirt will be bursting at the seams.
Jacksonville, Onslow County, NC, USA
I'm reminded of the immortal last words of Socrates who said, "I Drank What?!"
  #19   Add to gb123's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 6th, 2007, 08:50 AM

gb123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to gb123
Great thread, will be very interested in how this turns out, keep up the good work and all the best
  #20   Add to mikej's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 6th, 2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflated
With muscle memory you should have some good early gains. Remember the core lifts as the mainstay of your workout. Heavy squats, deadlifts and bench pressing all build size. Squats are the best overall bulking exercise. Good luck to you.
Thanks! I've been seeing a trainer every other week to give me ideas for mixing it up. He's been super helpful in fixing my form on a lot of lifts (I'm self-taught and doing it wrong), and keeping me from getting bored.

You're right though, the big standard lifts are a must.
  #21   Add to mikej's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 6th, 2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieJvilleNC
Thanks for the week update, Mike. Looking good in the video. Congrats on the weight gain. Keep up the great job and that tshirt will be bursting at the seams.
Ha! Thanks. Like I said in the vid, 4 pounds is almost certainly mostly water. I'll keep trucking though.
  #22   Add to mikej's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 16th, 2007, 09:23 AM

A quick video update just posted. I missed my week 2 weigh-in, so I just did a quick one this morning. Thursdays will become my new permanent weigh-in day, so look for a full-length better video in a couple of day.

196.6 means 4.6 pounds over the last 10 days. That's probably because I really ate a TON of junk food this weekend. I'm starting to worry about a lot of this weight being fat! If I don't slow down by the end of week 4 (7/26), I'll change my diet.
  #23   Add to Notbigenuff's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 16th, 2007, 07:39 PM

Notbigenuff
Looking Good

Saw the new update and checked last week's as well - you've got a great foundation to build on and look better than most guys already! I agree that you need to be careful about too much fat gain, but sometimes you need to add some fat to make sure that the muscles are getting what they need to grow. Keep up the good work - you'll be massive in no time at this rate.
  #24   Add to mikej's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 17th, 2007, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notbigenuff
Saw the new update and checked last week's as well - you've got a great foundation to build on and look better than most guys already! I agree that you need to be careful about too much fat gain, but sometimes you need to add some fat to make sure that the muscles are getting what they need to grow. Keep up the good work - you'll be massive in no time at this rate.
Thanks! I know that I have to gain some fat through all of this, it just comes with the territory. If it's all lard though it's not the kind of "massive" I want to be. I didn't even notice until just know I'm already past my goal for August 1st... after only 2.5 weeks. That's not a good sign.

Ah well... I've made the commitment not to make any adjustments until next Thursday. Time to go eat!
  #25   Add to Notbigenuff's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 17th, 2007, 08:32 PM

Notbigenuff
Well, from what I see I doubt if it's all lard or even mostly lard - you still look pretty lean to me. Just keep an eye on it and make whatever adjustments you need to after your weigh in Thursday. Good luck!
  #26   Add to gb123's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 18th, 2007, 11:23 AM

Just keep an eye on your waist size, you'll soon know if your putting it on in fat.
  #27   Add to mikej's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 19th, 2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notbigenuff
Well, from what I see I doubt if it's all lard or even mostly lard - you still look pretty lean to me. Just keep an eye on it and make whatever adjustments you need to after your weigh in Thursday. Good luck!
Thanks! I think judging from today's weigh-in (just posted, by the way), which was 193.8, I'm going to change nothing at all. My chiropractor has cleared me to go back to full-blast at the gym, so it's time to get back to it!
  #28   Add to mikej's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 19th, 2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb123
Just keep an eye on your waist size, you'll soon know if your putting it on in fat.
True! Another person posted that I should be measuring bi's and waist (maybe chest too??). I just have to find my measuring tape... and I'll add that to the Thursday weigh-in videos.
  #29   Add to omelissokomos's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 29th, 2007, 08:03 PM
The Bee Keeper

omelissokomos has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to omelissokomos
Quote:
Another person posted that I should be measuring bi's and waist (maybe chest too??).
Might be good to limit measuring your stats to at least once a month as it's all-too-easy to get caught up with the numbers if you do it too frequently. Bodybuilding.com has a printable bodypart measurement log you can use.

Keep up the good work.
  #30   Add to mikej's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 3rd, 2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omelissokomos
Might be good to limit measuring your stats to at least once a month as it's all-too-easy to get caught up with the numbers if you do it too frequently. Bodybuilding.com has a printable bodypart measurement log you can use.

Keep up the good work.
Thanks for the link! I just might use it!
  #31   Add to 1bigwoof's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 3rd, 2007, 02:24 PM
MASS Matters

Week 5

Mike,

I just saw you video. Congratulations on getting to 195! I can still see some abs so you are staying fairly lean. You may not be able to tell, but I can definitely see the shirt getting tighter. Keep training hard and you will continue to be very pleased with your results. Thanks for sharing the ride with us.
  #32   Add to Notbigenuff's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 3rd, 2007, 08:45 PM

Notbigenuff
I'll add my congratulations as well - plus I checked out the video from week one again and to me at least it's very clear that your arms have become more defined (the triceps especially) and I suspect that they are larger, too. Keep at it, you are making great progress.
  #33   Add to gb123's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 5th, 2007, 10:57 AM

Good vid as usual, as you said in your vid that you weighed at a different time and i feel you should stick to the morning if you can.

I can put on 7 lbs during a day just from food and water weight alone (especially when bulking), so it's always more accurate to weigh when you get out of bed as your stomache is empty and you are more dehydrated.

Good work though, keep em coming.
  #34   Add to mikej's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 10th, 2007, 08:47 AM

New video posted this morning. I'm feeling FAT, and I'm starting to chicken out on my bulk plan. What do you guys think?
  #35   Add to DaBigGuy1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 10th, 2007, 11:12 AM
DaBigGuy1

DaBigGuy1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to DaBigGuy1
Quote:
New video posted this morning. I'm feeling FAT, and I'm starting to chicken out on my bulk plan. What do you guys think?

Feeling FAT? Welcom to the club! It is the price of admissioin when you are going through a bulk up stage, but fear not, because it is part of the whole process. With me, I do the bulking up, and then cardio to bring it all back in line.

And again, don' be a complete slave to the scale. I have gotten to the point that I will check the scale periodically and go strictly by what I see in the mirror. So far I'm liking it!

BTW, it would be interesting to hear what your routine is like......

Hang in there!

Ron IIII----IIII
  #36   Add to 1bigwoof's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 10th, 2007, 11:37 AM
MASS Matters

Latest Update

Mike,

Fat, you are NOT. Your back and arms are looking particularly impressive. As Ron says, when you're bulking you're not going to be quite so lean...that's OK! Keep consistent in the gym and keep eating. You are moving in the right direction.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options