General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to RyBearATL's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 17th, 2004, 04:56 AM

RyBearATL
And So It Begins....

A banner ad I noted took me here.
Heightmax

Not sure if this is "the new snake oil" or if they're for real. We've all had/read stories about growth, so if they're working on height, I'm sure muscle is next.

Of course we already HAVE steroids, so I'm not sure "next" is the right word.

Just some food for thought,
-R
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to polomuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 17th, 2004, 07:02 AM

polomuscle
Send a message via AIM to polomuscle
Re: And So It Begins....

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RyBearATL
[B]A banner ad I noted took me here.
Heightmax

Not sure if this is "the new snake oil" or if they're for real.

It's sad that companies blatantly play on people's insecurities and lie to them with products like Heightmax.
  #3   Report Post  
Old February 17th, 2004, 08:28 AM
LeatherGryphon

Banner Ad Bogusness

Rule of thumb: If it's in a banner ad, it's bogus. When the people who sponsor those annoying things realize that we pay no attention to them, they'll stop. Never, Never click on a banner ad unless you like reading the "National Enquirer" liepaper, or like getting spam, spam, spam, spam ...

-- LeatherGryphon --
  #4   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 17th, 2004, 08:45 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Bogus ad promises - What's left?

Hmm...let's see...
The ads out there promise a cure for:

height (this ad)

penis size (too many ads to count)

hair (too much, too little, wrong places, wrong color, wrong consistency, etc. etc.)

body build (every muscle supplement ad you've ever read, all the bbing sites, this one (oops! -But I LIKE this one!) the personal trainer sites, the "legal steroid" sites, etc. etc.

skin (texture, color, wrinkles, freckles, acne, etc.)

smell (deodorant, cologne, etc. etc.)

teeth (straighten, bleach, etc. etc.)

mind (Karma, "counselor" sites, "empowerment sites" etc. )

Sex (options (dating sites), choices, gadgets, locations, instructions, lotions, cremes, etc. etc.)

Question: Is there ANY category that ISN'T covered??!!

How about: improve your soul? Make yourself a better person? Make yourself a worse person--more evil, say? What have we NOT seen an ad for?? (The fantasy storie on this site don't count-they're already covered under the "bbing" category)

Anyone have any thoughts??!

Mdlftr
  #5   Report Post  
Old February 17th, 2004, 08:55 AM
LeatherGryphon

Please, if you think of an ad category that isn't covered, don't say it because we'll then be inundated with them. Gaaaa......

-- LeatherGryphon --
  #6   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 17th, 2004, 09:01 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
New categories....?

Hmmm...

Anticipating --

--WHAT SOMEONE --

--is thinking, before--

--THEY SAY IT!

Yes, now in a handy creme, pill and lotion forms!

Ghaauuggghhhh!

Mdlftr
  #7   Report Post  
Old February 17th, 2004, 12:16 PM
LeatherGryphon

Genetic muscle enhancement

There is real research going on regarding geneticly enhancing muscle growth. Mice have been bred with bigger muscles. This is real, not a scam. I've read it a couple of times in respectable places.

I can see the Banner Ad now.: "Yes, YOU too can have huge, Huge, HUGE muscles!! Be the envy of all your friends, the first on the block to not fit through your doors. Your future is secure as a member of the Massive Mike Massage Menagerie. Become a member of our herd and all your needs and ours will be taken care of. Apply on-line now and be big dumb and happy tomorrow.
www.MakeMeHugeNow.com

Ah, if only I was born tomorrow... No, I don't think I want to be here when the Earth finally gets even with us for abusing her so shamefully for at least the last 500 years.

-- LeatherGryphon --
  #8   Report Post  
Old February 17th, 2004, 12:33 PM
LeatherGryphon

Mighty Mouse Lives!

OK, here's a couple of links to get you started if you're interested.

http://www.upenn.edu/researchatpenn/...le.php?381&bus

http://www.niams.nih.gov/ne/press/2002/09_25.htm

If these links wrap at the end of the line, you may have to cut & paste them into your browser, or enter them manually to get the entire link in one piece into your browser address line.

-- LeatherGryphon --
  #9   Add to RyBearATL's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 17th, 2004, 07:15 PM

RyBearATL
Almost ouch!

Ok, I'm certianly not going to say that this stuff is "da real thing", but I guess my line of thinking is that organisms have "critical periods", i.e. periods in which an action/behavior is possible, and after which it is not. These are most commonly associated with maturation and development, or acquisition of skills related to such (motor, language, learning, or neural-interpretive such as recognizing figures in vision).

That's what lends this a shred of credibility. (Well, that and the slick-but-not-overdone web site. How can you not trust something that professional? <G>) There's a period of time when your body is growing and maturing (bone termini haven't fused, whatever) and I don't personally see why those periods can't be enhanced or at least maximized. This stuff isn't HGH, so I doubt it would force a body to do something it wouldn't otherwise do, but like recent threads on the limiting factors of not having enough of a specific amino acid, etc, this could work in that vein.

I'll tell you the truth: if I were in the age bracket they describe, and had funds, I'd be buying it, snake oil or not. I'm 5'9", and I'd always wanted to be taller, about 6'. That's what caught my eye. I'm not dumb enough to think something could happen now (age 35), but back at 20 or 15...yeah.

Just thinking.....

-R
  #10   Add to hecad84's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 20th, 2004, 12:10 PM

hecad84
Send a message via AIM to hecad84 Send a message via Yahoo to hecad84
RyBearATL - after seeing this post, I went to their website out of curiosity and started checking it out. I started the sign-up process, but quit and cleared my information when the questions turned into a survey and began asking things that have nothing to do with actually purchasing the product. So, since you mentioned that you'd give it a try if you were in the age bracket and had the funds, I'm assuming that you went farther in the sign-up procedure than I did. My question is simply what are they charging for this stuff? I never did see a price mentioned in any areas that I got into.
  #11   Add to lonewolf's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 21st, 2004, 12:08 AM

lonewolf
Send a message via Yahoo to lonewolf
How bizarre

I realise I'm in the minority here (although I know of one other guy on this board who feels similar things) - but I'm 6'2" and have no desire to get any taller - (IMO 6'0-6'3 are the maximum without starting to be overly tall). In fact, if anything I'd love to be shorter. Shorter guys get a different shape as bodybuilders - and it seems that small changes to size show on their body much quicker (I know I've put on a stone, and it's barely noticeable). On top of that, short guys often have 'short guy' mentality - like a pitbull, aggressive and overcompensating for their height. Now if I could keep my current weight but go down to about 5'6" - mmmm

Anyone else with me on this?
  #12   Add to wbhunk's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 21st, 2004, 10:29 AM

wbhunk is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to wbhunk Send a message via Yahoo to wbhunk
Gee, I wonder who the other guy is? (wink)
  #13   Add to CTeen's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 21st, 2004, 06:19 PM

CTeen
The whole thing states that all it can do is "maximize the growth potential". That it will only work in people ages 12-25. That it must be used by health conscious and healthy individuals. There are reasons for all this.

For a personal to maximize their growth potential, all they need to do is eat properly and get all the nutrients they need, be more than stationary (but large quantities of exercise is not required, just a little) and most importantly, sleep. Eat, breathe, sleep. Simple, huh? The reason why they state people need to be healthy/health conscious is because they are only supplying a single part of that formula: nutrients. Those nutrients are easily attainable by someone who watches what they eat. The product cannot deliver on its own.

It states that there were dramatic increases in growth between people who did and did not take the product and had identical lifestyles AND that those lifestyles include poor eating habits... there are soooo many flaws in this:

1) They never mention what those lifestyles are. If it is between two people who both sleep the same amount, exercise regularly but they both get crap for nutrients, giving one a nutrient supliment will only give them what they should be getting in the first place. No DUH they would show an increase in growth.

2) Someone's final height can be estimated at a young age. Or in other words, a person's growth potential can be measured. The manufacturers of Heightmax could have willingly chosen people with poor growth potential to be the group not taking the supplement and those with higher ones to be on it.

3) ... bah, its not worth the breath.

Anyway, don't buy it as it won't help. Just have a healthy lifestyle and save your money.

-Jon
  #14   Add to RyBearATL's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 29th, 2004, 05:59 PM

RyBearATL
Been away...

Sorry about the delay, been away on vacation. (Enjoyed and needed it!)

RE: Proceeding farther along in signup. Nope. No reason, for points already posted.

-R

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options