The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to abbraxis's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 2nd, 2007, 11:40 PM
The Opinionated Asshole

abbraxis is on a distinguished road
In a moment of pure randomness...

... I'm posting this thread.

Alright, let me get my sob story out of the way and then I'll tell you what I want and hopefully you can tell me what I should do to help myself.

I'm 20 years old and despite my age I get carded for rated-R movies and cigerettes (I don't smoke but I buy them for friends). I'm 5'8'' between 140 lb. and 150 lb. (depends on what I eat that day) and I *am* the preverbial "90 lb weakling" that is usally the protaganist in many MG stories that grace this forum. I am thin wristed, shallow chested and freakishly boney. When I was on my hockey team I was referred to as the "figure skater with AIDS". I was fast, but not particulary good. I was a decent back checker and could hustle from one side of the ice to other quite rapidly, but that was about it. I think my years of hockey gave me a decent pair of legs. Not big, but pretty defined and pretty strong, considering my otherwise "thin" physique. I am the fastes kid in my circle of friends and it is the one thing they give me honest credit for.

Anyway, I'm a junior in college and not currently playing any sports and am tired of being skinny. I have been a lurker on MGS and the Evolution Archive for close to 5 years or so and always dream of one day finding those pills or formulas that everyone writes about. Of course I know they don't exist... but a boy can dream, can't he ?

Basically I lack motivation. Actually, it's not even that. It's that I am so embarressed with what I have become that I wouldn't be caught DEAD in a gym. There is no reason to PROVE I am weak and would rather leave my level of strength a complete mystery to people. I don't want to struggle with an empty bar and be laughed out of the gym. My friends are all quite fit, or at least stronger than I am and the one kid I usually identify as "skinny" has recently joined a gym. Of course, he's the skinny guy that is stronger than he looks cause he wresteled in high school. Plus, he knows what he is doing.

Then theirs me. Skinny. Weak. Pathetic. Truely. I am Pee-Wee Herman... except a little shorter (I think).

Anyway, sooner or later I am going to start a little calesthenics (I can't spell for beans) just to work up SOME base strength. Push ups, sit ups, that kind of thing. I want to do these things daily and try and reach some "goal" before my winter break in December.

At that time I will come home (I go to school out of state, BTW) and join a 24 hour gym. My "skinny" friend has offered to go with me at around midnight when the place is empty. I have confessed my irritation with my level of fitness and he has promised to help me any way he can, knowing I would rather do this kind of thing in private. He really is a good friend. Anyway, in the 4 weeks I am home over the winter I want to start some regular program so I won't feel so silly going to the gym at my school.

Alright, now that I have finished my dramatic monologue I want something from the members here. How should I proceed?

A skinny guy like me who just wants to get fit (I prefer the "ripped" look, which will hopefully surprise people when I take off my shirt ). Do I do low reps with high weight? High reps with low weight? Do I want to split the middle? Do I want to "bulk" for a while and then taper down? Personally I don't want to buy supplements in case all this falls through... cause if it does all I have is a giant, expensive can of powder I won't use.

Tell me. How does a skinny boy become fit?

Your help will be more appreciated then you will ever know.

P.S. No pictures until I see progress. Right now, think of me as THIS body type.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to abbraxis's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 3rd, 2007, 12:16 AM
The Opinionated Asshole

And THIS is what I want to look like... though I admit this guy is more fit than I will probably get.
  #3   Add to abbraxis's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 3rd, 2007, 09:52 PM
The Opinionated Asshole

Thanks so much.

I know I can do a lot of diet research on my own, but can you name me a few things that are a good start? Perhaps things that wouldn't usually occur to me? I know fish, chicken and steak are good sources (I love steak - does it have to be well done or is medium rare going to have the same "nutritional value"?) but are there ather things?

I'm usually not very hungry, but I hope that changes when I start working out. I'm hungry if I do stuff... but if all I do for a day is sit in my room, I can get by with VERY little food (like a pop tart or two). I'm also not the kind of guy who sits and eats a lot in one sitting and prefer to eat consistently through out the day.

I don't drink much and if I do it's usually liquor (my stomach isn't big enough to drink enough beer) and I never drink soda. I drink energy drinks, but that is as far as I go. Sleep is another thing. I sleep 8 hours a day... it's just never at the right time. Hopefully when I start working out I will be tired enough and fall asleep early. If not, I have something my doctor gave me to calm my mind (nothing habit forming). I have ALWAYS been a big milk drinker. We get 1%, which is what I'm used to and I can easily kill a gallon in 2 days or so. We just got a fridge in my room, so I am sure I will keep that stocked with milk.

Again, I'm probably not gonna invest in protein supplements until I reaslize I am serious about this. Just talking about it won;t get me in the gym so I need to see if I am REALLY comitted to this.

Again, thanks so much for all the help drew. My big problem is self motivation. Who knows, maybe I can fix that personal flaw when I gain some confidence. Thanks alot for the help.
  #4   Add to nj.'s Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 7th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Still going strong

nj. has disabled reputation
As a fellow skinny guy I can share some info! I started going to the gym a month ago, when I turned 19. I've been meaning to for 3 years -- go figure.

Like you, I was too ashamed to go into a gym. As long as that is your mindset, it's never going to work. A year ago, I bought a set of dumbbells that go up to 19 pounds each. Every now and then (not quite often enough), I'd work on something. Usually chest, biceps or triceps. My workout bench was a chair cleverly aligned with the bed (my head would be on the seat). It was far from ideal, but at least I had a 'safe' environment to try some things out (safe from my imagined ridicule, that is). Getting used to the movements, getting used to weights. I've never been really weak, just quite small at 132 pounds (!!) and 5'11''. I'm really active and I have a ridiculous metabolism.

I'm not a shy guy, but for some reason every time I went over to a gym to inquire, I'd thing -- 'aww man, no way!', even though it wasn't entirely filled with huge buff guys. On the contrary. A month ago, I found the ideal place. It's a ridiculously small, old gym behind a detached house. Where you'd expect a living room, there's a swimming pool. Behind it, in an extension, there's a gym. It focusses entirely on weight training (apart from the one treadmill in the far corner -- and the thing's dusty). Best of all is that it's usually pretty quiet. Quiet as in 'empty' or 'less than 3 other people there'. The first time I went, it was dead. Ideal. The second time there were three people there, so I didn't even go in! That's how awful I was about this. The third time I was alone again, but after 5 minutes two guys came in. I thought: 'Fuck this, I'm going on with my work out'. And I did. And did I care that one was squatting the weight of a house? No. He was focussed on his workout, and I was focussed on mine. The fourth time there was a lady there who was a fucking machine. She was so inspiring that I worked out harder than I had done before (unfortunately I didn't get any sleep until 9.30 in the morning, so it didn't quite have the desired effect on my muscles, but that aside). Right now, I have trouble keeping my arms level with the keyboard 'cos my shoulders are sore from yesterday. I'm telling you, it's a great feeling. I'm still small, but I am growing. I'm still a skeleton, but when I see my pump when I get back to the dressing room I think: 'that's gonna be me after a few more work outs!'. It's a peek into the future. It's so motivating. I can only go to the gym twice a week, but if I could I'd go daily. And I needed three years to gain enough will power to go at all! At home, I'd work out once a month, even though I could have done whatever one can do with free weights every day! The working out itself inspired me to do more. I came in late for a lecture the other day because I didn't think I was done with my workout yet!

As for eating, I just make more sandwiches in the morning. I just eat at regular intervals, hungry or not. It always fits in. I've gained about 2 pounds over the past two months (which is more than I've gained in the year and a half before I started eating more, unimpressive as it may sound!). Sometimes I get to eating 6, 7 times a day. I used to be able to get by with 3 times -- I'm so much more energetic now.

I still have to drink more and add in a training day at home (for things I can do with free weights and without anything at all, like abs, forearms...) so that I can make up for only being able to work out twice a week. But I am going on. And on!
And so can you! If I can, anyone can!

I can actually see that I have a chest when I undress --
  #5   Add to abbraxis's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 6th, 2008, 06:14 PM
The Opinionated Asshole

Well, I'm taking a semester off school (I'm still taking classes, just not full time) and I'm back home with friends I'm comfortable with... and one of them has been a member of a gym for the last 4 months... and he's gained a lot of mass.

So for about a month we've been talking and he's been pushing me and then I finally bit the bullet and went.

What I like about this gym is that it's a 24 hour one and with both of our work schedules, we can only go in the morning or later at night when everyone else is at work/school.

Well, I went and we did shoulders. My poundages were low, but I knew I had to in order to get the form right and my friend was really nice and encouraging. There were 2 people in there but they spent their whole time on the cardio machines.

Anyway, we did about 4 or 5 different exercises with situps between each one. We then ran a 7 minute mile at the end. I found out I'm really out of shape.

I did about 60 or 70 situps throughout the whole day and was glad I didn't eat breakfast... and the mile I had to pace down so I finished in about 8 minutes. Next time I'm bringing my headphones cause they have built in TVs. I just need something to distract me and I might just be able yo do it.

Well, it's been a day and my legs and abs are still a bit soar. I didn't lift too heavy so my shoulders and other muscles don't hurt so much.

Now that I know what I'm doing, next time I'll actually work them out.

We're working out again tomorrow night and I'm kinda looking forward to it.

While I'm here, I want to ask about food/diet.

Like I said, I'm pretty skinny, so the actual fat in something shouldn't matter, which is why I have been having Penut Butter sandwhiches, bannanas and LOTS of milk (I have always been a big milk drinker - about a gallon every 2 days) but want to know what else is a good, simple thing to pick up.

I imagine roast beef is good... but what other deli meats? Any certain fruits? And pasta is good, of course.

I don't want to go crazy on supplements and protein cause I don't know if I'll stick with this... so let's leave food to stuff I can get at a grocery store.

Thanks for all your help.
  #6   Add to MAZIVKAROLY's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 7th, 2008, 04:49 AM
MAZIVZEMBERE

MAZIVKAROLY is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MAZIVKAROLY Send a message via MSN to MAZIVKAROLY Send a message via Yahoo to MAZIVKAROLY
Thumbs up Diet Suggestions

If you are wild about pasta, as I am, as much as possible, buy only whole wheat or vegetable pastas; these are much better for your entire body.

In addition, include a variety of fish, including mahi mahi, salmon and tilapia; if tuna's odor doesn't bother you (as it does many) be sure to put that in with your pastas. Add fresh or frozen whole spinach leaves, after a quick boil or blanching process.

If you want to stay with peanut butter, look for reduced fat varieties on the commercial brands. AND, look in your local whole foods stores for freshly ground peanut butter, which is much tastier and more nutritionally valuable.

Keep drinking milk, but I would suggest going to a lower fat content. Start with at least the 2 %, then wean yourself from this to totally fat free. The quantities that you say you're drinking are overall good, but eventually, if you want to gain lean muscle mass, you are going to want the skimmer varieties of milk, OR, also consider "SoyMilk."

All the best. Hope this helps you out. If you want to talk further, please feel free to write me at bhunkier2010 at yahoo. Or, we can do yahoo messenger/360, if that works for you.

#7   Add to abbraxis's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 7th, 2008, 11:03 AM
The Opinionated Asshole

Thanks a lot.

All that seems easy enough.

We already drink 1% milk and my mom has been trying to get us lower... so we'll see. Soy milk is a "no no" though. Three years ago I got really drunk one night and that's all that was in my friend's house in the morning, so when I woke up, I had to choke it down. To this day even saying "soy milk" makes me gag a bit.

All the foods you mentioned I actually like (tuna, mahi mahi, salmon, etc.) and I LOVE sushi (though I know you didn't mention it, I'm sure it applies). Whole wheat pasta is alright and maybe next time I go to the store with my mom I can get her to buy healthy penut butter. We also go to a place called "Trader Joes" which will have A LOT of good things to get.

Thanks again.
  #8   Add to BigLittleTim's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 29th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Big man in Boston

BigLittleTim has disabled reputation
Food is your best option

abbraxis,

Sounds like you've already gotten some good advice here, so I don't feel I need to weigh in with too much more.

One thing I would like to say is that the guys are correct in suggesting you don't need all those fancy protein powders and supplements at this stage of the game. The most anabolic substance you can put into your body is FOOD; plain, old-fahsioned nutrition like your mom cooks (unless she's a pastry chef!) If you can keep to a good training schedule in the gym, and take in enough calories and protein, you're bound to increase your muscular mass. Even serious bodybuilders with years of experience regard powders and potions as a very small part of their dietary needs. Solid REAL food is what you need, often and in sufficient doses.

Good luck, fella.

BigLittleTim
  #9   Add to abbraxis's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 4th, 2008, 06:12 AM
The Opinionated Asshole

Thanks BLT (you don't mind if I call you BLT do you ?).

I'm bored and I'm gonna give you an update... cause I know you're all chomping at the bit... lol

I'm finding out I actually like to workout. I mean, I feel like I'm doing something worthwhile. Legs are my favorite because even the first time we did it I surprised myself and continue to do so each time.

Hockey really paid off, I guess, cause I'm doing calf raises (inner, outer and middle) with the same pundages as my friend (who like I said was going 6 months before me). Granted, he pretty much doubles me on every other body part... but it felt good to have a decent beginning level of strength.

I hate doing chest though. I never had a chest and have alway dreamed of having one (nothing amazing... just something noticable) but I'm realizing just how weak I am. I felt real bad benching an empty bar (told you I was weak) but I'm adding about 5 lbs. a week, so that's reassuring.

Progress is progress is progress... I guess.

I'm noticing much more defenition in my arms. I actually have triceps, now. Even my friend commented while we were working out last time. It felt good.

I'm up to 15 situps between each exercize (as opposed to just 10) and the mile is much easier, especially when I can distract myself watching TV.

I'm also eating more. Not so much more at each meal, but throughout the day I'm eating more. I just wish my parents would let the banannas ripen before they steal them. They like them yellow/green... I like them to have brown spots... but they always take them in their lunches before they reach my level of "ripeness".

Anyway, I'm rambling cause I had to pull an all nighter to get some homework done (yeah... probably not real healthy) and can tell I'm gonna be a bit goofy today.

So let me thank everyone again and sign off... before I say something even more stupid.
  #10   Add to Aikuchi's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 4th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Always a fan.

Aikuchi is on a distinguished road
---

If you don't mind, I'll be taking whatever advice I can from this thread too (LOL)!

Hope things rae going well for you, Abbraxis. Or until you're confident enough to show anyone your progress on here

I'm about 5 '8" and 130 lbs.
Unfortunately, I still have a moderately high metabolism at the ripe ol' age of 30. And I'm pretty sure my body chemistry is beginning to work a lot different then it used to in my teens or early twenties.

But there's sound advice here.

I'll be joining a local gym here sometime this month.

I'll have to look into some of the meal options. Some of the suggested items here sound really expensive to purchase from my markets, so I'll have to find somewhat cheaper local equivalents. Unfortunately, asian food fare is relatively spoilt for choice and most of them are carb-fat-rich.
(( sigh ))

But part of my motivation (since I'm be pretty much going into this by myself) - to so see progress.

Though I mildly loathe to do so. I'll have to take pictures in a mirror.
If there's any progress, I'm pretty sure its a good motivator to keep pushing.

So keep us inspired, Abbraxis - I know I am

---
  #11   Add to BigLittleTim's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 12th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Big man in Boston

BigLittleTim has disabled reputation
Save money on good food!

Eating a healthy diet while bodybuilding is actually a great way to SAVE money. True, you will be eating many more meals during the day than you're probably used to, but they're going to be a pretty monotonous round of chicken, tuna, brown rice, yams, broccolli, repeat. When I'm eating seriously my food bill goes DOWN because I can't buy anything in a restaurant!

Tupperware becomes your best friend. Get ten good-sized tupperware containers and fill them on Sunday night with "meals ready to eat". Grill up several pounds of boneless chicken breasts and thighs; steam a few bunches of broccolli; make several cups of brown rice; etc. Portion your food out into the containers and keep 'em in the fridge. Take two containers every day for lunch #1 and lunch #2 (Eventually you may be adding lunch #3.) Compare the price of these "MRE's" with the price of eating at McDonalds or Pizza Hut every day. You're gonna be saving a lot of money, especially as you start buying "family packs" of meat.

The hardest part is creating variety in your diet. There are lots of ways to spice things up. Check out the diet forums on various bodybuilding sites. There are usually a lot of good ideas posted.

Hope this helps some of you guys make the diet hurdle.

-BigLittleTim
  #12   Add to MAZIVKAROLY's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 13th, 2008, 02:14 PM
MAZIVZEMBERE

Send a message via AIM to MAZIVKAROLY Send a message via MSN to MAZIVKAROLY Send a message via Yahoo to MAZIVKAROLY
Thumbs up Real Food

Good sources of protein: turkey breast, chicken breasts, pork, tuna: 40 %.

Balance with 40 % carbs.

Fats: 20 %, just not all saturated or transfat types.

Do eat more often, 5-6 x daily every 2-3 hrs. not large meals, but nicely balanced snacks along with good fruits (like blueberries, apples, oranges) along with a good choice of vegetables, esp. the leafy green ones, like spinach and kale.

Keep getting plenty of rest and keep drinking lots of water to keep your system hydrated and flowing nicely.

All the best, after 41 yrs. of lifting, cardio and fitness. Now 62, and am taking no meds for anything, just a few vitamins and supplements, occasional whey protein shakes, glutamine and branched chain amino acids.

Lots of good foods out there. Just avoid most if not all the fast food chains.

Take care, keep growin', liftin' and learning.
  #13   Add to abbraxis's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 13th, 2008, 08:47 PM
The Opinionated Asshole

Thanks for that list, MAZ. I try to watch what I eat... and I don't eat UNhealth-ily... just not health-ily.

While I'm here: Out of curiosity, do long breaks make a difference?

My friend is going to take a week off from lifting to give his muscles time to repair and I'm just curious if the concept works. He's pretty much worked out every other day (with a couple of times where he may have had to go ever 2 days) for the last 7 months or so and thinks it will help.

I've only been working out for a month and half and won't do the same, but I'm wondering if others may have done the same and thought there were positives/negatives to doing this?

Me? I'm realizing ALL my leg exercizes are at the same weight as my friend who's been working out for 6 more months then I have. In fact, when we did leg raises, he did 3 sets of 10 at 110 lbs. I did 2 sets of 15 at the same weight and a third set of 10 at 125. I felt really proud of myself.

Of course, his bench presses and anything with a dumbell is WAY beyond where I am (currently ), but it felt good to do that.

Anyway, that's all I got.

Thanks for anyone's answer to my question.
  #14   Add to newmus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 14th, 2008, 08:12 PM

newmus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbraxis View Post
Thanks for that list, MAZ. I try to watch what I eat... and I don't eat UNhealth-ily... just not health-ily.

While I'm here: Out of curiosity, do long breaks make a difference?

My friend is going to take a week off from lifting to give his muscles time to repair and I'm just curious if the concept works. He's pretty much worked out every other day (with a couple of times where he may have had to go ever 2 days) for the last 7 months or so and thinks it will help.

I've only been working out for a month and half and won't do the same, but I'm wondering if others may have done the same and thought there were positives/negatives to doing this?

Me? I'm realizing ALL my leg exercizes are at the same weight as my friend who's been working out for 6 more months then I have. In fact, when we did leg raises, he did 3 sets of 10 at 110 lbs. I did 2 sets of 15 at the same weight and a third set of 10 at 125. I felt really proud of myself.

Of course, his bench presses and anything with a dumbell is WAY beyond where I am (currently ), but it felt good to do that.

Anyway, that's all I got.

Thanks for anyone's answer to my question.
i heard a long time ago (forgot where) that a break from training at all is good, it gives your whole body a chance to rest.
also, no offense but the guy you want to look like looks like one of those guys you get when you're looking online for pics/videos of bodybuilders and the whole site is full of nothing but scrawny little boys who look like they just stepped out of auschwitz - that is NOT muscle growth. the way you have been describing yourself in this thread you sound like you have a lot of potential and i would like to encourage you to go beyond what you can achieve with only a year at the gym.
  #15   Add to abbraxis's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 5th, 2008, 02:18 PM
The Opinionated Asshole

So I'm basically turning this post into a thread about me . I'm just gonna add questions that I can't find answers to myself and give some updates as to my progress.

So my next question is about my lower abs: What the hell? How do I get to them?

I'm doing incline situps (between 60 and 100 each gym visit... which is every other day) and my abs are kinda weird. I have the seperation at the top between my top two and what would be my lower four... and my lower four have the vertical crease down the middle but NOT the horizontal crease.

Basically, I'm making progress... but my lower abs refuse to seperate .

Any suggestions?

My midsection is looking pretty good otherwise. I'm getting obliques and even lats (though it's not one of our "targeted" muscle groups). Yesterday was chest and for once I woke up kinda soar. That's good. Didn't do anything different... just felt better...

And we did tricep-kickbacks instead of pull downs and I felt a MONUMENTAL difference between the work I did then and the work I did now.

I lifted 200 lbs on inner, outer, and middle calf raises for 3 sets of 15 (each)... which means I did a combined 135 reps at a weight 20 lbs heavier than what my friend could (the one who has been going longer than I have). My leg press and leg lifts are pretty much the same as his but my squats are a bit less. Part of it has to do with the awkwardness of the exercise itself.

I don't do it wrong, it's just I don't want to lift anything too heavy and then hurt myself.

He still lifts over 50% more than me in every other exercize, but it's good to actually have to add weight when he's done rather than take it away. And I think he's generally proud of me. He lifts more with all the other muscle groups, so I think he may be happy for me.

Anyway, since I've been doing it consistently for about 2 months, I think I'm going to bite the bullet and invest in some protein powder. Given what little you know about me, what would be the best kind?

I'm on a budget... so just keep that in mind too...
  #16   Add to inflated's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 5th, 2008, 04:29 PM

inflated is on a distinguished road
Hanging leg raises, are good for lower abs. Another is holding the yoga position boat, it will work your lower abs.
  #17   Add to MAZIVKAROLY's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 5th, 2008, 05:31 PM
MAZIVZEMBERE

Thumbs up fINER AND FITTER, FULLY FLESHED OUT

Quote:
... I'm posting this thread.

Alright, let me get my sob story out of the way and then I'll tell you what I want and hopefully you can tell me what I should do to help myself.

I'm 20 years old and despite my age I get carded for rated-R movies and cigerettes (I don't smoke but I buy them for friends). I'm 5'8'' between 140 lb. and 150 lb. (depends on what I eat that day) and I *am* the preverbial "90 lb weakling" that is usally the protaganist in many MG stories that grace this forum. I am thin wristed, shallow chested and freakishly boney. When I was on my hockey team I was referred to as the "figure skater with AIDS". I was fast, but not particulary good. I was a decent back checker and could hustle from one side of the ice to other quite rapidly, but that was about it. I think my years of hockey gave me a decent pair of legs. Not big, but pretty defined and pretty strong, considering my otherwise "thin" physique. I am the fastes kid in my circle of friends and it is the one thing they give me honest credit for.

Anyway, I'm a junior in college and not currently playing any sports and am tired of being skinny. I have been a lurker on MGS and the Evolution Archive for close to 5 years or so and always dream of one day finding those pills or formulas that everyone writes about. Of course I know they don't exist... but a boy can dream, can't he ?

Basically I lack motivation. Actually, it's not even that. It's that I am so embarressed with what I have become that I wouldn't be caught DEAD in a gym. There is no reason to PROVE I am weak and would rather leave my level of strength a complete mystery to people. I don't want to struggle with an empty bar and be laughed out of the gym. My friends are all quite fit, or at least stronger than I am and the one kid I usually identify as "skinny" has recently joined a gym. Of course, he's the skinny guy that is stronger than he looks cause he wresteled in high school. Plus, he knows what he is doing.

Then theirs me. Skinny. Weak. Pathetic. Truely. I am Pee-Wee Herman... except a little shorter (I think).

Anyway, sooner or later I am going to start a little calesthenics (I can't spell for beans) just to work up SOME base strength. Push ups, sit ups, that kind of thing. I want to do these things daily and try and reach some "goal" before my winter break in December.

At that time I will come home (I go to school out of state, BTW) and join a 24 hour gym. My "skinny" friend has offered to go with me at around midnight when the place is empty. I have confessed my irritation with my level of fitness and he has promised to help me any way he can, knowing I would rather do this kind of thing in private. He really is a good friend. Anyway, in the 4 weeks I am home over the winter I want to start some regular program so I won't feel so silly going to the gym at my school.

Alright, now that I have finished my dramatic monologue I want something from the members here. How should I proceed?

A skinny guy like me who just wants to get fit (I prefer the "ripped" look, which will hopefully surprise people when I take off my shirt ). Do I do low reps with high weight? High reps with low weight? Do I want to split the middle? Do I want to "bulk" for a while and then taper down? Personally I don't want to buy supplements in case all this falls through... cause if it does all I have is a giant, expensive can of powder I won't use.

Tell me. How does a skinny boy become fit?

Your help will be more appreciated then you will ever know.

P.S. No pictures until I see progress. Right now, think of me as THIS body type.
i WAS UNABLE TO PUT ON WEIGHT UNTIL i WAS NEARLY OUT OF COLLEGE. i ATE 2ND, 3RD, SOMETIMES 4TH HELPINGS, BUT WITHOUT WEIGHT GAIN. i WAS 21, GOING ON 22, WHEN MY METABOLISM CHANGED AND i STARTED TO PUT ON SOME LBS. hOPE THIS MAY HAPPEN FOR YOU. i AM NOW 198, DOWN FROM 230 + AND REALLY HONING AND STRIATING, DEFINING AND STILL BUILDING A GREATER BODY AT 62 1/2 ON mARCH 30TH.

wISHING YOU A SIMILAR OUTCOME... SOON.
  #18   Add to MAZIVKAROLY's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 5th, 2008, 05:34 PM
MAZIVZEMBERE

Thumbs up rEPLY sOON

sERIOUSLYdO hopE FOR u THE VERY BEST OF OUTCOMES; WHAT'S THE HISTORY OF GROWTH FOR MALES IN YOUR FAMILY, PREVIOUS TWO GENERATIONS? aNY BROS. UNCLES, GRANDPARENTS, GREAT UNCLES WITH SOME SERIOUS PHYSICAL ATTRIBUTES THAT YOU HOPE TO SOON EMULATE?

kEEP eATING fULLY AND hEARTILY AS MUCH AS YOU CAN OF ALL THE GOOD STUFF YOU CAN GET INTO YOUR MAW, IN THE mEANTIME.
  #19   Add to abbraxis's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 5th, 2008, 06:07 PM
The Opinionated Asshole

Well, my dad is out of shape. He was tall and skinny most of his life and after he stopped smoking kinda filled out. He's not fat... just out of shape (with a pot belly). My Uncle was the same way until he got diagnosed with diabetes. He trimmed down fast, but he's not what I would call "buff". My grandfathers are either tall and skinny or short and chubby.

Basically, physical education was never a big thing in my family. We're healthy, I guess you could say, but no one is particulary "buff"...

But what's weird is that even before I started lifting I had a pretty defined bicep. It's always popped right out of my arm, even if it wasn't particulary strong. In middle school (before I really knew anything) people would ask to see it and I was kinda embarressed.

So I think I have alright genetics... but you wouldn't know it looking at anyone in my family :P .
  #20   Add to abbraxis's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 5th, 2008, 06:13 PM
The Opinionated Asshole

Well, for some reason, it's not letting me edit my post, so I'm sorry to the mods and admins for "seriel posting". I didn't mean to... it's just computers hate me...

Anyway,

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflated View Post
Hanging leg raises, are good for lower abs. Another is holding the yoga position boat, it will work your lower abs.
I didn't think about hanging leg raises.

They have the thing for it at my gym, so maybe I'll switch it up between leg raises and situps. Plus, I can do obliques on that too.

As for yoga... does that actually help? I never thought that was actual "exercise". Nothing against those who do it... I'm just surprised. But regardless, there is no reason why I can't try it.

Thanks for the suggestions.
  #21   Add to inflated's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 5th, 2008, 09:30 PM

inflated is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Well, for some reason, it's not letting me edit my post, so I'm sorry to the mods and admins for "seriel posting". I didn't mean to... it's just computers hate me...

Anyway,

I didn't think about hanging leg raises.

They have the thing for it at my gym, so maybe I'll switch it up between leg raises and situps. Plus, I can do obliques on that too.

As for yoga... does that actually help? I never thought that was actual "exercise". Nothing against those who do it... I'm just surprised. But regardless, there is no reason why I can't try it.

Thanks for the suggestions.
The yoga boat position is an exercise one can do at home and its great for lower abs. Basically hold in a V position until you can't hold that position anymore. Its actually difficult.
  #22   Add to abbraxis's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 2nd, 2008, 06:37 PM
The Opinionated Asshole

Well, I don't know what I'm thinking... but here's me:

Back of arm

Front of arm

Full on

Well, I was sick and recently got a job and haven't been to the gym regularly for about a month. My friend and I are going to plan our things better and start going more frequently.

After all, beach season is coming up and I'm still skinney.
  #23   Add to TheMM's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 2nd, 2008, 08:29 PM
"This is no trick!"

TheMM is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Well, I don't know what I'm thinking... but here's me:

Back of arm

Front of arm

Full on

After all, beach season is coming up and I'm still skinney.
You're more fit than I am (and with my body type, probably ever will be.)

"Put your controller on the floor...Put it down as flat as you can...That's good. Now I will move your controller by the power of my will alone!"
  #24   Add to Aikuchi's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 3rd, 2008, 09:53 PM
Always a fan.

Aikuchi is on a distinguished road
(LOL)

Well, I don't think you're skinny at all. Slim yes, but skinny no.

#25   Add to abbraxis's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 8th, 2008, 10:04 PM
The Opinionated Asshole

How bad is sugar?

I really have a bad sweet tooth. Before I started kinda caring what I would eat, I would forgoe dinner and just eat a box of Oreos. Litorally, an entire box of Oreos... preferably double stuffed.

I don't do that anymore, but I still ingest quite a bit of sugar, whether it be candy bars or just putting a "healthy" helping on top of my "Rice Krispies" in the morning.

I'm still going to the gym every other day (we've gotten back into the swing of things) and starting next week we're gonna start running each time and doing abs (we've been lazy, of late)... but I'm wondering exactly how bad sugar is in a diet.

For example; before work I had a roast beef sandwich but after I got a dark chocolate candy bar and a half gallon of whole mik, sat in my car and ate and drank both. I could have gone home and had another sandwich... but I needed something sweet.

So basically, in a diet (just a regular diet - I'm not, like, competing or anything), how bad is sugar?
  #26   Add to abbraxis's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 15th, 2008, 08:20 PM
The Opinionated Asshole

I was with friends last night and my workout partner was there and somehow we started talking about the working out, and for the last 6 months we had been working out fairly regularly (though the last few weeks have been hard for both of us cause of our schedules).

Anyway, my friend pointed and me and says, "well, he's added 50 lbs to his benchpress".

And at first I thought he was lying or mistaken, then it occurred to me. I *DID* add 50 lbs to my bench press!

Granted, I started off with an empty bar (standard 45 lbs iron pole) and even struggled to get that up early on, but just yesterday we did chest. I first did a quick 12 rep warm-up set with 20 lbs... then 10 reps at 30 lbs... then 8 reps and 40 lbs... and then 5 reps with 50 lbs.

I basically doubled my benchpress from nothing to nothing + a little bit.

But I just thought it was funny that A) I didn't even notice this and B) when confronted with my "accomplishment" my first instinct was to not believe him.

Anyway, just thought I'd drop by with an update...
  #27   Add to Dreamforge's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 16th, 2008, 07:10 PM

Dreamforge is on a distinguished road
Ditto

Well, your reply led me here and it's certainly a familiar sentiment. I totally understand where you're coming from. Then again, I saw your pics and I have to say you're well ahead of the fitness march than I am. How long did it take you to get a body like that from the time you started. I personally didn't have a sport like hockey when I was growing up (I consider it a miracle that no one has ever tried laying a violent finger on me) so I was also wondering how you fared when you started (how much you pressed and such).
  #28   Add to abbraxis's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 19th, 2008, 12:22 PM
The Opinionated Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamforge View Post
Well, your reply led me here and it's certainly a familiar sentiment. I totally understand where you're coming from. Then again, I saw your pics and I have to say you're well ahead of the fitness march than I am. How long did it take you to get a body like that from the time you started.
Well, I hardly consider what I have in those pics to be any kind of a good fitness level. At that time we had been lifting quite habitually (every other day) for about 4 months. Then we missed a few weeks cause I was taking classes and working and he was working 2 jobs. Those pics were taken over that period.

We got our schedules back together now .

I really can't overstress the impact a friend can have on your workouts. Just pick someone who won't make fun of you... but isn't afraid to push you... but someone who doesn't get so "into" his workouts that you feel shut out.

It sounds tough, but there has GOT to be somebody...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamforge
I personally didn't have a sport like hockey when I was growing up (I consider it a miracle that no one has ever tried laying a violent finger on me) so I was also wondering how you fared when you started (how much you pressed and such).
Well, hockey only really helped with my leg lifts. My team never went to the gym and I wasn't a big "hitter", so I never felt compelled to workout. My legs and lungs were pretty much what I worked out on the ice.

As for when I started, I was weak. Really weak.

I was struggling with an empty bar for bench presses... I could only squeeze out a handful of situps between each exercize... I was using the "silver" weights that women generally use to workout... my machine poundages were very low...

If anything else, you'll be at my level too, though I bet you'll be better off. I really do.

But again, my friend never made fun of me, and if I tried to make fun of myself, he wouldn't let me. He'd find the positive of the situation, like how good my form was or how I've added 5 lbs. over the last time I exercized.

He really is a great a friend and I hope you have the benefit of someone like this too.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options