The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to CTeen's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 17th, 2004, 08:12 PM

CTeen
Training questions...

Howdy everyone,

well, I'm 18 now and have been 'training' for awhile. I find there is a ton of misinformation out on the web and everytime I go to someone who is supposedly 'knowledgeable', I get a different answer than the last person I went to. That leaves me with more questions than I started off with, and now I bring them to you.

First, some history: I am 6 feet tall, even. When I was 15 I weighed about 235lbs. I lost that weight (the unhealthy way) and dropped to 148. I now weight 155ish, and have stayed at that weight for over a year.

I exercise regularly, my current plan looks like this:

Day 1: Biceps/Triceps + Cardio
Typically 3 Sets of 10 Reps of Hammer Curls, and then 3 Sets of 10 Reps of Bicep Curls.
Triceps: Usually tricep kickbacks, and then triceps on the rope, again 3/10.

Day 2: Back/Chest + Cardio
Chest: Chest press (not bench bress) Again, 3/10
Lateral raises: 3/10
Seated Row: 3/10
Back-Extension: 3/10
Bench-Press (If I have a spot): 3/10

Day 3: Abs + Legs
Abs: Long ab routine, won't get into it... but its quite elaborate.
Legs: Calf raises, leg press, leg extension and leg curls. All 3/10

Cardio usually ranges from 30-40 minutes. As you can see, the numbers 3 and 10 have been crammed into my brain.

I then repeat the cycle and I have one day of rest in a week (where it fits my schedule best).

I got this thing approved by the personal trainer that works at my school. She said it was a great plan, if I could follow it, and while I do change things up now and again, I usually get it done. But I am getting the 'blahs' and haven't noticed dramatic results, and I have been doing this for some time. I have a lean/tone body and will most likely get some pictures up shortly.

Now, I just spoke with a friend of mine who does have a nice body and has been training for awhile. He told me that my current set-up was wrong and that it wasn't going to do much for me other than tone my body. He said that all my major muscle groups needed a rest before using them again (duh), but that also meant that if I did my arms one day, I couldn't do my chest the next as I would also be using the muscles in my arms and that they needed more rest. Is this true? He also said that he only worked each muscle group once a week... I was always told to work each muscle group 2-3 times per week.

Also, what about cardio? I would like to keep some definition, but is it impossible to do the both at the same time? Can I not do cardio the same day as a leg day?

Anyway, that was a lot to read and I thank anyone who will reply.

Best wishes.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 18th, 2004, 09:41 AM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
Listen to your friend.

While there is a lot I like about your training plan, I immediately thought of three things:
1. Why is he doing Arms Day, then Chest Day?
2. When is he doing shoulders?
3. Why is he doing so much lifting AND cardio at the same time? Can you say Overtraing?

Then you said that you were only getting toned, as I expected. Thus, proving your friend's point before you even mention it.

I have a natural tendency to overtrain, get the blahs, and stop myself. Don't overtrain. Stay in the gym. Do rest for growth. You do need about a week for each group to fully recover.

I am not a trained professional, and I don't claim to be one, but it sounds like your friend is making the types of gains you want for yourself. So I'd listen to him, and try to learn from him. Be humble, and try to not act like I did at 18 (I thought I knew everything).

I hope this helps.

Brent.

Last edited by brent; March 18th, 2004 at 09:43 AM.
  #3   Add to JCole210's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 18th, 2004, 10:33 AM

JCole210
Send a message via AIM to JCole210 Send a message via Yahoo to JCole210
Hey Young Muscle,

Well I agree. I think you need to go and smack that trainer at your school...there are alot of things that are incorrect about your training. Just my opinion. And yeah man, you will always get alot of conflicting information about training. Even the Pros can't agree on the Perfect Training Program. Because frankly there is not one. Every body is different. But there are some basics that a man of 18 should be doing in his training. You didn't mention your goals, but I am guessing since you posted here that you want to get BIG. Try this out for 3 months (I change my routines every 3 months to keep my muscles guessing). Always warm up...then do the working sets...I will give you for example 3x8-12 means 3 sets of minimum 8 reps and maximum 12 reps per set. Using strict form, when you are able to do 12 reps then increase your weight by 10% on your next set. Remember, its not the weight you lift but the correct form that will give you the best rewards...ask for help on your form from some of the BIG muscle at your gym.

Monday: Legs
-Leg Extension (3x8-12) Do a warm up set of 20 first.
-Leg Press (3x8-10)
-Hack Squats (3x8-12)
-Leg Curls (3x8-12)
-Dumbbell Lunges (3x10)
-Standing Calf Raises (4x15)
or -Seated Calf Raises (4x15) Rotate every week.

Tuesday: Arms / Abs
(I do a super set, one bicep exercise followed immediately by a tricep exercise, then rest for a minute or so and repeat)
-Barbell bicep Curls (3x8-12)
-Tricep v-bar Pressdowns (3x8-12)

-Preacher Curls (3x8-12)
-Tricep Rope Pressdown (3x8-12)

-Dumbbell Hammer Curls (3x15)

Ab work: I rotate different exercises doing about 100 reps total

Wednesday: 40 minutes cardio

Thursday: OFF

Friday: Chest / Shoulders
-Incline HammerStrength Press (3x6-10)
-Flat Bench Dumbbell Press (3x8-12)
-Pec Deck Machine (3x8-12)
-Cable Crossovers (3x8-12)

-Dumbbell lateral raises (3x8-12)
-Dumbbell Shoulder Raises (3x8-12)

Saturday: Back / Traps
-Bent over Barbell Rows (3x6-10)
-Lat Pulldowns (3x 8-12)
-Low Pulley Rows (3x8-12)
-Close Grip Pulldowns (3x8-12)

-Rear Delt dumbbell raises (3x8-12)
-dumbbell Shrugs (3x8-12)

Sunday: outdoor activity or indoor (hehe)

There ya go man...hope this helps

J
  #4   Add to CTeen's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 19th, 2004, 05:40 PM

CTeen
Thanks you two! J, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Yesterday I did 50 mins of straight cardio (more intense than I've ever done) and today I did a huge bicep/tricep exercise. I'm combining my previous schedule, using the exercises you recommended and moving some things around in order to get a complete (and proper) workout. I haven't finished it yet, but when I do I'll be sure to post it so you guys can scrutinize over it.

Basically, it breaks down to this:

Day 1: Biceps/Triceps
Day 2: Legs + Cardio
Day 3: Chest, Back, Shoulders
Day 4: Abs and Cardio
Day 5: Rest

REPEAT

I figure that that way, each muscle groups gets a 24hour rest before I even think of touching them again, and then they get used lightly in other exercises before the cycle repeats and I train that group again. Does that make sense, or is it still not enough rest in between cycles?

And... blarg... food! I'm trying to force myself to eat a lot more food, but its not easy. Especially when you try to eat healthy food... you can have a Snickers bar or like 20 litres of salad (you get the idea).

Do either of you have MSN? I don't have any webspace set up, but you could send you some pics or e-mail them. I also have a web cam.

Thanks again and best wishes,

-CTeen
  #5   Add to JCole210's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 22nd, 2004, 07:15 AM

JCole210
Send a message via AIM to JCole210 Send a message via Yahoo to JCole210
Over Training

Hey man,

Well, I think you are getting the idea. However, I see a residual effect from the 15 year old who was over 230#...you are no longer that kid. So, an 18 year old, 6 foot tall, 155# man really doesn't need to do 50 minutes of intense cardio. You are burning up all your calories and your muscles will have no fuel to be able to grow. Cut it out!

Twice a week do 30 minutes of MODERATE INTENSITY cardio. Basically this is training for your HEART, you want to get into the habit of getting your heartbeat into that cardio level. this is not a fat burning exercise (there is a difference, ask your gym personnel if you are confused).

Also, in my opinion, you are still overtraining your muscles. Remember, growth comes during rest NOT in the gym. You have to give your muscles time to repair, adapt, and GROW. Train each bodypart ONCE a week.

Diet-is basically all about Math.
1. Your weight (round up to 160) x 1.0 = 160 grams of protein per day. Once you get seriously into training and growth you can ramp up your protein intake to your bodyweight x 1.25.

2. 160 grams divided by 5 meals per day = 32 grams protein per meal.

3. Plan your meals! Figure out what equals 32 grams of protein...look at a food guide or labels. Plan your Breakfast Meal, Mid-Morning Protein Shake, Lunch Meal, Afternoon Snack (Protein bar and Fruit), Evening Dinner.

4. Eat good carbs with each meal. Oatmeal, Yams, Rice. Also make sure you get some green veggies.

5. Water. Water. and more Water. Fill up a gallon jug in the morning and drink it all day long.

Remember, this is a life long way of living, not a fad diet for a few months. So, don't beat yourself up if you miss a meal or if you have some pizza. Also, alot of guys don't realize that you can't get big and stay lean at the same time. I know this seems simple but alot of gay guys want big pecs and guns AND stay ripped with a 8 pack. It is 2 different goals - get massive or get ripped. Decide what you want and adjust your diet, training, cardio to that goal.

Hope all this helps, remember this is all just one man's opinion. Keep reading and learning... I learn new stuff all the time. Find out what works for you. My advice is what worked for me, I went from 160# to 215#.

Good luck,
J
  #6   Add to Plaidboy's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 19th, 2004, 05:54 AM
Muscle Lover

Plaidboy
This is one of the best threads...

Hey, guys. This is one of the best threads I've read on here thus far. It answers tons of my questions (even some I didn't know to ask). I have about the same stats as this guy, and these are perfect tips for me as well. Just wanted to say thanks, and good luck to you CTeen.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options