The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Steroids
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Steroids General information, discussion and experiences.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to redwolf64's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 30th, 2007, 05:45 AM

redwolf64
Send a message via AIM to redwolf64 Send a message via Yahoo to redwolf64
Steroid history

The history behind anabolic steroids I've heard has always been similar to the Wikipedia article below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anabolic_steroid#History

Basically, it was developed by the Germans before WWII and the Germans experimented with the use of steroids on POWs, concentration camp victims and soldiers, with Eastern Bloc countries during the Cold War introducing them to atheletics and the US picking up on them after that.

I have a friend, though, who swears that US soldiers were given steroids on a regular basis in the early 50s and later. He claims his father was given them when he was in the military during the Korean War and continued taking them after he left the service, getting them through mail order.

Anyone else heard of US military use of steroids?
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to dallasmsl's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 30th, 2007, 05:54 AM

dallasmsl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dallasmsl
I have one friend

who was an officer in the Marines who SWORE to me that his guys were given juice back in Vietnam. He never lied to me before so I have no reason not to believe him.
  #3   Add to Ursine Muscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 6th, 2008, 11:05 PM

Ursine Muscle is on a distinguished road
Steroid origins

The Wikipedia article left out that the German research using urine was conducted in Hamburg and used the urine from 10,000 policemen. I've often wondered who had the collection job.

Factor "X" as it was known, was eventually used for SS training. This is noted in R. Moss' book, Nationalism and Sexuality I believe, in context with gender and maleness in Germany.

As a kid, I had dinner seated next to an old SS officier in the late 70s. He had been in N. Africa and we had a great discussion. He saw that I lifted and he discussed the drugs given to him during the war. He as also given an chewy, rope like narcotic that suppressed appetitie and probably was an amphetamine as well.

The US government developed and uses meth amphetamines to "enhance" performance. Early in the current Afganistan war, two Canadian pilots were killed by friendly US fire from pilots who had been up for a very long time and there was a diplomatic stink about it.(Google for cite.) Given this documentation, I have no doubt that anabolics are not routinely used to promote healing, increase stamina, etc.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options