The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Diet & Nutrition
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Diet & Nutrition What you need to eat in order to grow.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to saur's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 9th, 2008, 03:10 PM

saur is on a distinguished road
Taking proteins

I started taking proteins this month (the kind you mix with water and then drink). I really want to get big and fast. It says that "for best results, take one dose before workout and another after". But does that literally mean that IMMEDIATELY after I'm done for the day I need to drink the second glass? I live very close to the gym, in fact, just about a block away. So, it takes me from five to ten minutes to return home and mix the protein.

Is what I'm doing ok? If not, would you please help me out!

Also, should I expect an increase in my belly size. I've always been slim, and I don't plan on fattening anytime soon.

Thanks a lot everyone!
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to saur's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 9th, 2008, 06:28 PM

Thanks a lot Drew!
You see, I really wanna get HUGE. Right now I'm taking Nitrotech Hardcore. That's the one the guy at the gym told me to buy. Unfortunatelly, even though the container is really big, the protein only filled half of it. Plus I also bought another one the other day to have something after I finish the first one. I guess I'm stuck with it for now, but in the internet many people say it works. So, should I apply what you just said even though this is another brand?
  #3   Add to saur's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 9th, 2008, 06:35 PM

You also said it's best if I take the shake an hour before workout. Why an hour and not a few minutes before? If I prepare my shakes a day and I put them in the fridge, will they work if I drink them the next day. Sorry I ask so much questions! But I'm new to this, and I want to do it the right way.

Thanks!
  #4   Add to saur's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 10th, 2008, 09:25 AM

Thanks a lot man!
You sure now about this stuff! I'm sure you must be a really HUGE bodybuilder by now!

Also, thanks for the cheeseburger tip! It's awesome. I'll get to eat them while packing muscle!
  #5   Add to jackvinsly's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 30th, 2010, 08:33 PM

jackvinsly is on a distinguished road
I said it is the best for me. I alwas to eat Nitrotech Hardcore after the work out. I have been use this one around last one year. I really nice to feel right now.
  #6   Add to cccatl's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 14th, 2010, 11:17 AM
MuscleMutant

cccatl
Send a message via Yahoo to cccatl
The advice that's been developing over the last couple of years is to take a protein shake before and after workout. The reasoning is as follows:

Before: the proteins floating in the bloodstream will protect the muscles from breakdown. Take a shake within an hour before workout.

After: the muscles will be in a state that's particularly ready to absorb nutrients. Take a shake as quickly as possible after a workout, 1 hour maximum.

In both cases, you want simple, quick absorbed protein. In this case, whey is the quickest absorbing protein. Some slower absorbing protein is also acceptable in the post-workout shake to extend the anabolic growth window. A slower absorbing protein can be anything, casein, egg, soy, whatever. A mix of these is good. A total of 25-50g of protein is good for both shakes.

In both cases, you also want a protein supplement that has "Branched Chain Amino Acids" (BCAA) which are leucine, isoleucine, and valine. BCAA's are of particular importance because they are the only 3 amino acids that are directly processed in muscle tissue. As a result, they are both burned as fuel during workout, and are also the first building blocks for muscle recovery and growth.

Furthermore, you want carbs in both the pre- and post- workout drinks. Role of carbs:

before: these supply the energy for the muscles to exercise. This both increases the overall volume of the workout as well as protect the muscle from using its own protein as fuel. Pick a carb that will last from the time you drink to the time your workout ends. A mix of sugar, fruit, and white starch (bread, rice, etc.) is good.

after: the muscles are particularly primed for nutrient absorption, and sugar and insulin are key to that absorption. In this case, sugar is the most important. You can add other, longer-acting carb sources once the post-workout drink is digested.

A carbs should be in a 1:1 or 1:2 ratio with proteins. So, for 25g of protein, add 25-50g of carbs.

Finally, do not add any fats to these drinks. Fats impede absorption.

Note 1: you don't have to mix all this stuff into a single shake. You can have a protein shake and eat a banana, for example, for the protein and carb requirements.

Note 2: I do recommend protein shakes throughout the rest of the day, but you don't want these sorts of shakes. You want slow absorbing shakes the rest of the day. Whey isn't bad, but the rest of the day should have proteins that are slow absorbed, like casein, egg, or soy. Exception: you want a fast absorption shake when you get up in the morning to end the overnight fast.
  #7   Add to inm's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 14th, 2010, 12:07 PM

inm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to inm
Quote:
Originally Posted by saur View Post
You also said it's best if I take the shake an hour before workout. Why an hour and not a few minutes before? If I prepare my shakes a day and I put them in the fridge, will they work if I drink them the next day. Sorry I ask so much questions! But I'm new to this, and I want to do it the right way.

Thanks!
because it might make you puke. Other than that, 15 mins Pre is good. Research shows that pre workout protein has a bigger effect than post, since absorption is done over time, and your pre shake is still there 1-2 hours later. A whey shake causes a peak in blood level amino acids an hour after ingestion, but even later , there's still protein in the system. so if you can afford only one, take it pre.

against common sense, slow digesting protein has been shown to produce better results for post shake.
  #8   Add to cccatl's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 14th, 2010, 06:24 PM
MuscleMutant

cccatl
Drinking anytime within 1 hour of the workout for both the pre and post workshakes is fine. It's not that precise. I personally, like about 30-60 minutes before the workout, to give my body some time to digest it. And, I like to get the post-workout shake as quick as possible. Usually, that means about 10 minutes after workout, i.e. when I get home.

Also, there's no reason for you to get fat while trying to put on muscle. If you notice you're putting on fat, then cut back on the calories, specifically, cut back on carbs. But, keep the protein up, at about 1g per pound of bodyweight. Fat should be about 30% of calories, which is about where food tastes good without being fatty. Lower than 30%, food starts to be dry and tasteless.
  #9   Add to cccatl's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 17th, 2010, 01:45 PM
MuscleMutant

cccatl
As detailed as this protein shake discussion is, I would say this is much more important:

1) Do not workout hungry. Your muscles will just consume itself to generate the energy for lifting.

2) A protein shake before a workout is not enough. Eat real food an hour or 2 before your workout. Eat protein, carbs, and fat. All in moderate amounts, i.e. don't be full. Just not hungry.

3) After the workout, after the shake, eat a real meal. Again, protein, carbs, and fat. Don't eat to fullness. Just don't be hungry.

4) Which brings the overall rule for eating: Never be hungry. Never be full. If you're hungry, your body is catabolic, and it's not building muscle. If you're full, you have too many calories, and you're putting on fat. The only way to never be hungry and never be full is eat several (~6) small meals a day.
  #10   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 19th, 2010, 04:08 PM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
I have to agree with EVERYTHING Cccatl said. He's given you a lot of very good advice. I would like to add that with your shakes, you should think about taking an enzyme that has enzymes for protein (Protease, Pepsin, and bromiline) for milk (lactase), and for carbs (amylase). Make use of your protein: it's expensive!

Also, another good thing to think about is L-Carnitine. It will help you use fat, and not muscle for protein. Taken at night, it keeps you from going catabolic, taken in the morning, it gets you out of a catabolic state, and taken half an hour before a workout, gives you an extra burst of energy. I drink it more than I drink apple cider vinegar!
  #11   Add to BIGJOEY's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 19th, 2010, 05:29 PM

BIGJOEY is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BIGJOEY
while i do agre with some of what has been written here i can say that advanced bodybuilders do not do protein shakes before they work out. most will do a post workout shake with no carbs 10 g of glutamine and 10g bcaa. then most usually wait 35 mins and do next meal. You dont build muscle doing shakes. I know thats against the norm but very few top level bbers do shakes. its whole foods that will grow you. if your protein portions carbs and fats are correct you will grow. if you want an example. let me know
  #12   Add to inflated's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 7th, 2010, 03:08 PM

inflated is on a distinguished road
Good real food is the most beneficial. Lean meats, fish and eggs should be your best source of protein, fresh vegetables your best source of carbs and fiber. Junk food, white bread, sugary juices and drinks are best avoided. Protein shakes are mainly beneficial for their convenience, but real food is still superior.
  #13   Add to BIGJOEY's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 2nd, 2010, 10:09 AM

BIGJOEY is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BIGJOEY
the last post on this tread made no sence at all.
  #14   Add to tonytrrr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 2nd, 2010, 11:33 AM

tonytrrr is on a distinguished road
Wheat Germ

While I agree with everthing that has been said, as I read on I notice a change in opinions to whole foods as a source of protien. While I have used the cans to kick start growth, I eventually only put wheat germ in my meals and use it in water/tea during the workout .
I eat no bread- in part because you do not know what is in the stuff on the shelf.
Also wheat germ, which can begotten in most supermarkets next to the oatmeals costs a very small fraction of what the cans cost on a monthly basis
  #15   Add to inm's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 21st, 2010, 12:15 AM

inm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to inm
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJOEY View Post
while i do agre with some of what has been written here i can say that advanced bodybuilders do not do protein shakes before they work out. most will do a post workout shake with no carbs 10 g of glutamine and 10g bcaa. then most usually wait 35 mins and do next meal. You dont build muscle doing shakes. I know thats against the norm but very few top level bbers do shakes. its whole foods that will grow you. if your protein portions carbs and fats are correct you will grow. if you want an example. let me know
..then they're missing out on good opportunity. there is research to show that taking whey before workout is more beneficial than taking it afterwords (and of course, doing both is even better).

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options