The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Muscle & Mind
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Yesterday at 11:53 PM

Notices

Muscle & Mind Motivation, Inspiration and The Mind. What drives you?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to Wild's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 22nd, 2008, 07:12 PM

Wild is on a distinguished road
Ectomorph Muscle

Well, to be honest, offline I'm a bit skinny. And being a twin doesn't help that matter too much. =P But (at least off the top of my head) I haven't heard of any Ectomorphs exactly getting huge. Well, maybe in the Stories archive. But I was wondering... can Ectomorphs get sizable? Especially compared to Endomorphs and Mesomorphs. If anyone even had a pic of an Ectomorph Bodybuilder, I really think that'd get my hopes raised.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:07 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Wink Ectomorphic muscle

Wild,

Remember: being an Ectomorphic body type doesn't mean "skinny". Being ectomorphic means that a person's body type has slender wrists and ankles, low body fat, and shorter muscle insertions.

Being skinny means that a person doesn't eat enough or get enough exercise, combined with sufficient food intake, to build mass.

Someone could be "skinny" no matter what their body type is. A mesomorph would be "skinny" if he did not exercise and did not get enough food.

Two-time Mr. Olympia Winner Frank Zane has an ectomorphic body type. He has been VERY successful in building a great deal of well-proportioned muscle mass. He has slender wrists and ankles, low body fat and short muscle bellies. For example, when he flexes his biceps (which are quite large) there is a gap between the end of his bicep and the underside of his upper arm.

In contrast, Famous bodybuilder Sergio Olivia is an extreme example of a mesomorph. He has thick wrists and ankles, long muscle bellies and slightly higher natural body fat levels than Frank Zane. When he flexes his biceps, the belly of his bicep goes all the way to his elbow--he has no gap in his bicep because his bicep is very long.

An ectomorph can build a great deal of muscle. Bodybuilding does work for any one who lifts weights, eats sufficient amounts of healty food, and gets enough rest. It works for men and women.

If you want to build muscle, you CAN, no matter what your body type is. For most of us, that is, anyone who doesn't plan to compete in a bodybuilding show, your body type is more of a general indicator, than a limiting factor.

One final thought: A recent survey in Ironman magazine's Feb. 2008 issue notes that most women prefer ectomorphic bodybuilders, since they prefer sleek, proportionate muscle, rather than the bulky look(the article described it as "bulbous" pecs of a mesomorphic bodybuilder).

Go get 'em, ectomorph!

Mdlftr
  #3   Add to inflated's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 27th, 2008, 08:04 AM

inflated is on a distinguished road
If you are an ectomorph your limitations may be when it comes to full muscle bellies and putting on size. You can still be very muscular and often your muscles appear larger in contrast to small wrists. Being a mesomorph is the ideal for building muscle mass and for some of us it seems to come too easy. Ectomorphic types need to really work hard on their diet if they want to put on size, the timing of meals is very important for an ectomorph.
  #4   Add to Bobert11284's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 1st, 2008, 04:13 PM

Bobert11284 is on a distinguished road
I've seen fat ectomorphs too
  #5   Add to CelticMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 1st, 2008, 07:50 PM

CelticMuscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CelticMuscle Send a message via MSN to CelticMuscle Send a message via Yahoo to CelticMuscle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild
Well, to be honest, offline I'm a bit skinny. And being a twin doesn't help that matter too much. =P But (at least off the top of my head) I haven't heard of any Ectomorphs exactly getting huge. Well, maybe in the Stories archive. But I was wondering... can Ectomorphs get sizable? Especially compared to Endomorphs and Mesomorphs. If anyone even had a pic of an Ectomorph Bodybuilder, I really think that'd get my hopes raised.

Russ Yeager

Frank Zane
  #6   Add to FRNKPBDY's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 10th, 2008, 07:43 AM

FRNKPBDY is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FRNKPBDY
Ectomorph muscle

I can tell you from my own experience as somewhat of an ectomorph, we can build muscle. It just takes patience and some work.

Ectomorphs are "hard gainers" when it comes to gaining muscle. They typically maintain a slim appearance despite a high caloric intake and also often have elongated muscle bellies that gives them a streamlined appearance.

Here are some personal training tips for ectomorphs:

Ectomorphs usually have difficulty putting on mass. We may train consistently and often become frustrated by the lack of gains. Ectomorphs aren't as powerful as mesomorphs yet they often attempt to use the same weight often at the expense of form.

1. Use moderate weight that allows you to get 6-12 reps per set.
2. use 2-3 exercises per muscle group with 3-4 sets
3.Train only one muscle group per session.
4.Stick with basic compound movements and keep it simple.
While Ectomorphs tend to have difficulty gaining mass, they also tend to accumulate less fat than most people. Also, ectomorphs need little or no cardio to maintain a lean appearance. Too much cardio will further increase their metabolism making it even harder to put on mass.
Nutrition for the Ectomorph

Ectomorphs benefit most from a diet high in protein, carbs, and moderate in fat. Take carbs in proportion to your protein, the ratio should be about 1:2. Ectomorphs tend to be insulin resistant, so they need to consume more carbs in order to promote growth. When selecting carbs, choose those that have a low glycemic indices so your weight gain will primarily be muscle. Pay careful attention to how the carbs seem to affect your physique. If you appear flat then increase your carbs till your muscles appear fuller. If your muscles appear soft then try cutting down on carbs and decreasing fat intake because your insulin levels may be to high. this will cut down water retention while maintaining muscle fullness. With fat, start by taking in moderate amounts. Fats will only become your enemy if you consume too much and limit it to saturated fats. Otherwise fat is important in helping you maintain strength, energy, and well being. A good way to avoid cravings is to eat eight meals a day. Ectomorphs have higher metabolic rates. As a result, they require constant calorie consumption.

Eating every 2-3 hours can be hard to do, so use protein shakes or meal replacements as an alternative.

1. 2g of protein per pound of bodyweight. (200 lb person = 400g Protein)
2. 4g of carbs per pound of bodyweight. (200 lb person = 800g carbs)
3. eat at least 6 times a day. (every 2-3 hours)

Hope this helps!

FP

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode