General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to IndigoSensor's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 9th, 2008, 08:31 PM
A science geek all around

IndigoSensor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to IndigoSensor
potential

Ok, so I'm a pretty skinny guy. I'm 6'0 and about 145lbs (18 years old). I don't work out at all. However the idea of doing so has crossed my mind a bunch recentlly.

Here is why. I problly have the genetics to get pretty big. My cousin on my dads side of the family is a pro-body builder and was actually featured on the cover of muscle magazine a few months ago. My dad was pretty big when he was younger although never worked out to gain mass. My grandfathers were both football players when they were young and were quite big. Come to think of it most of the guys in my family get pretty strong and big if they work out.

I was full aware of all of this for quite some time but it never really registered. That is until talking to my dad on the phone a few weeks ago, he said "You should try working out, you have the potential to get strong". It sat with me for a while and made realise, I problly do.

There is olny one thing holding me back, my extreme succeptibillty to embaressment. The thought of working out in a college gym with tons of other guys is enough to make me faint problly (I faint if I am embaressed enough). I also have no idea what I would be doing. There is a guy on my floor who works out alot and is pretty decentlly sized, he knows what he is doing, and he is completly fine with me being gay (he figured out I have a thing for muscle). I thought of asking him but I'm still not completly sure. Any subjestions?

"Don't resist the changes that come to you. If you're resisting change you are resisting a part of yourself. Those who resist change, are the ones who will in the end, fall..."
-Me
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to Frankly's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 9th, 2008, 09:24 PM

Frankly is on a distinguished road
Hey dude. There is nothing to be embarassed about. everyone has to start out at some point. I would say if you can get the guy on your floor to help you out and get into a routine, you should be good to go. If not, find a good routine that works for you, lift heavy, often and for short periods of time, eat like a monster and you will grow in no time.

For a routine, check out bodybuilding.com, there is a ton of stuff there, lots of different styles and lots of advice. Do some research because knowledge is power. If you want something simple, and want to add some mass, work one or two major body parts each workout, do 3-4 different exercises, about 3 sets per exercise and work in the 4-8 rep range. You have to play around a bit and see what works for you because everyone responds differently.

Also, if you don't know how to perform an exercise or you feel it isn't working right for you, ask for help, most people are only too happy to help. If you ask a bigger guy for a spot, they will most likely throw in some pointers about form too. Ask questions, there is no reason to be embarassed about not knowing something.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, the best way to learn is to ask.
  #3   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 10th, 2008, 07:09 AM

Thanked 1,305 Times in 370 Posts
arpeejay will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to arpeejay
I was extremely self-conscious when I was your age and it definitely put a crimp in my ambitions with respect to the gym. The main thing to remember is:

(1) There's always someone skinnier than you are who wishes he was big and buff like you;

(2) There's always someone bigger than you are who wishes he had your lean, lithe build;

And so on and so forth. (The same applies for hairiness or lack thereof and weenie size.)

So ask your friend and in the meantime go to the library (or get on Amazon) and find a book on basic weight training. And, as Frankly said, "ask!"

Good luck & have fun. We're looking forward to watching you grow!

All the best & xoxo...

Richard
  #4   Add to MAZIVKAROLY's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 10th, 2008, 09:11 AM
MAZIVZEMBERE

MAZIVKAROLY is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MAZIVKAROLY Send a message via MSN to MAZIVKAROLY Send a message via Yahoo to MAZIVKAROLY
Thumbs up We all start somewhere

Although I am pretty good sized now, 5.8 and 205-210 with chest of nearly 51 and waist, 34, throughout high school and nearly all of college years, I was definitely a wimp, naively gay and not fully understanding what that meant. I could not gain weight until I was 21 and nearly graduating from college. Now I thrive on lifting: recently at age 62, have done leg presses this past Friday of 505 for 44 reps, starting with sets of 305, 375, 450 for about 39-40 reps each on a seated leg press machine. Two weeks ago I did 1070 for a 2-3 reps on the reclining hacksquatting machine. And I have gotten up to 250 with over & behind head triceps pressing machine w. a couple reps. When I was your age of 18, I would have never thought this possible, but I began some lifting, with a basic home set from K-mart at 21 and continued somewhat intermittently until I turned 35, married my true love and got much more regular and disciplined about my weight training up to and through the present day.
You are very likely full of such potential and should not hesitate to ask, explore and more fully develop your potential whenever and wherever possible.
My real name is Bill and I now use commonly a shortened nickname of 'bodybuildin' Bill and bodacious Bill, proud of all my hard work and who I am and have been and am still becoming...
You are right on in targeting yourself for some real growth and development ahead. I am with you all the way, bro.
Do feel free to contact me via email at [email protected] or via yahoo messenger/360, same yahoo ID.
  #5   Add to IndigoSensor's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 10th, 2008, 09:49 AM
A science geek all around

IndigoSensor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to IndigoSensor
I'm actually very good at directing conversations and manupulating people if I need to (Its' an exsessery skill I got due to my rough childhood) so I am problly going to get tim (the kid on my floor who works out) to mention the idea to me then I'll talk it out. Once I get over the hurdle of starting I will be able to follow through (I'm one of those people who takes forever to do something new, but stays with it once I start) If and when I start working out though, I will besure to post my progress!

"Don't resist the changes that come to you. If you're resisting change you are resisting a part of yourself. Those who resist change, are the ones who will in the end, fall..."
-Me
  #6   Add to BBMikeNJ's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 10th, 2008, 10:00 AM

BBMikeNJ is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to BBMikeNJ Send a message via Yahoo to BBMikeNJ
That sounds like a good approach. Like the Nike ad says 'just do it'. The more time you spend over-thinking it, the harder it gets. And if a 'college gym full of tons of guys' doesn't help motivate ya, what will?!
  #7   Add to DonnieJvilleNC's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 10th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Pop Culture Savant

DonnieJvilleNC is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonnieJvilleNC Send a message via MSN to DonnieJvilleNC Send a message via Yahoo to DonnieJvilleNC
I know exactly what you're going through. I went through the same thing back at the start of 2005. I had never been in a gym before and it terrified me. I was always "the fat guy" who hated exercise. It took me a full month to work up the nerve to even enter my local Gold's Gym. Once I did, I thought I'd faint. Once I got over the anxious feeling, I realized that all the gym-goers were nice and weren't worried about me.
Jacksonville, Onslow County, NC, USA
I'm reminded of the immortal last words of Socrates who said, "I Drank What?!"
  #8   Add to muscleflex_27's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 13th, 2008, 01:47 PM

muscleflex_27 is on a distinguished road
You know when I was in college I felt the SAME way. I was sick of being small though so I took a beginning weight training course. It changed everything for me. You're in there with a bunch of other people who are pretty much in the same boat or maybe have a little more knowledge. I started then and haven't stopped since. I really grew past the fear once I could get into a place where it was a classroom setting. I'm sure you can do the same.
  #9   Add to Rannen's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 14th, 2008, 07:53 AM

Rannen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Rannen
Indigo,

When I was around your age (I'm 23 now), I felt the same way, not knowing what I was doing.

But sites like menshealth.com and bodybuilding.com really gave me great information (the different workouts for different muscle groups) and confidence of what I was doing. When you pick out a few exercises you want to do, go to the gym and do them and observe other guys and how they use a machine or do a lift you're unfamiliar with. Or get that buddy of yours to help.

Like you said, all you gotta do is get over the hurdle of starting! Then you'll be on your way to hugedom.
  #10   Add to abbraxis's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 15th, 2008, 11:44 PM
The Opinionated Asshole

abbraxis is on a distinguished road
No joke, I read this and thought I wrote it. I was going, "hmmmmm... I don't remember posting this".

Anyway, I know EXACTLY how you feel and only finally did something about it just recently.

My best friend finally got me into a 24-hour gym and I used to only want to go late when no one else was there... and he obliged. Then we started going with a few more people until now, it doesn't matter too much. I still get pangs if I see people, but it's not as bad as it used to be.

We only just finished our circuit a few days ago and am starting on the second.

I found out I'm absurdly weak (benched an empty bar *pitiful*) but no one cares. People always said that everyone is only concerned with their own workout but I never believed them. I thought, "everyone's gonna know I can't pick up shit... this is awful"... but it's really not the case.

My advice: "Do it".

Ask your friend and see if maybe you can't try and go with less people there. If your friend goes he'll know when the college gym is quiet.

Good luck to you!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options