The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Watch Me Grow
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Watch Me Grow Discuss your own personal muscle goals and document your bodybuilding progress, including gains in size and strength and also get encouragement from others.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to The Magus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 8th, 2004, 01:38 PM

The Magus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to The Magus
I have veins!

It's been a great week for lifting for me...

April was a total wash-out - I caught a stubborn cold that didn't leave for 3 weeks and made my working out impossible. I've been doing really well with keeping my diet in line and working out before-hand, but I was really worried about what 3 weeks of inactivity would do to me: I kept imagining I could feel my muscles atrophy and the fat pile back on...towards the end of the cold, I kept poking myself in my stomach to see if the spare tire I still have was getting more "fatty".

So, when I knew I was getting better, I decided that May would be a re-launch month: I wanted to get back into the lifting game as explosively as possible, and to do things right. Before I caught cold, I was nearing the end of a twelve-week excercise program I read on the 'net ("Lifting for Maximal Size" from Testosterone Magazine (www.t-mag.com), their June 27th, 2003 issue, if anyone's curious)...I wasn't happy with how I'd treated the program in its first few weeks, so I figured why not do it right, and I'll be finished the program by the time summer starts.

So, all this week was "Week One", and I approached it with gusto.

It turns out that I didn't need to worry about gaining weight: the cold sapped me of about 10 pounds (probably mostly muscle/LBM), bringing me into my goal range at 210lbs. What a nice welcome back present! I think I'm going to let myself get as low as 200lbs before I start focusing on growing again, but for the first time in my life, I have a waist.

Anyway, today, a full week into the "Relaunch", it was arm day, and while I was doing dumbell curls I noticed that not only could I see, more clearly than ever, the veins on my forearms (front and back, actually), for the first time in my life I can actually see veins on my biceps when I curl! They run straight up along my biceps, on the outside, about 45-degrees off the perpendicular (if that makes any sense). They're straighter than I was expecting them to be: a lot of guys have more meandering veins than I do.

Anyway, this is just a happy ramble, but I wanted to share: I'm more excited than ever about going to the gym, and I have to say that the hottest muscle growth story ever has been watching my own unfold...I'm even starting to stand like an athlete...my arms (which have always been scrawny compared with my thicker torso and legs) are more curvey on account of shoulder muscles, even when I'm not flexed...I can see someone with my build (or close to it) playing football, almost.

In 5 months, by watching my diet and getting serious about using free weights and lifting well, I've lost about 30-40 pounds of fat and have completely changed how I look.

Happy lifting, all!
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 8th, 2004, 03:37 PM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
Thank you.

This post is very encouraging. It's great that you shared this happy little moment with us. It's so encouraging when you read about other people's little victories, that it helps power my own workouts, and I bet the workouts of others. Thank you for sharing this story, and good luck getting totally hot for summer.
  #3   Add to Notbigenuff's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 8th, 2004, 10:27 PM

Notbigenuff
Send a message via AIM to Notbigenuff Send a message via Yahoo to Notbigenuff
Congratulations

What a great experience for you--thanks for sharing it with all of us! It sounds like you have gotten past the most difficult part of working out and dieting and have the discipline/habits now to take you all the way. Keep up the good work, you'll be flexing on the beach in no time!
  #4   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 9th, 2004, 08:37 AM

ottomun6
Send a message via Yahoo to ottomun6
Thumbs up Go Magnus go..

Great news Magnus, I hope those muscles keep forcing their way out. Congratulations !
Muscles seem to have a memory that makes it easier the 2nd time around.
People are going to be asking you about that new bod and where you got it
Good iron pumping to you sir!
  #5   Add to OUstud82's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 9th, 2004, 10:11 PM

OUstud82
Send a message via AIM to OUstud82 Send a message via Yahoo to OUstud82
I saw a vein in my NECK pop out for the first time the other day when I was curling... I also noticed that i have a permanent vain that runs all the way up my bicep, several in my forearms, and a couple in my calves that i didn't have before
  #6   Add to Jim USA's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 10th, 2004, 07:35 PM

Jim USA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim USA
Hope you are ready for more muscle growth now that you have started to see some results from your workouts show up in the mirror.

I remember the first time. I was shaving like usual when I looked in the mirror and saw something new on my arm. Muscles! I couldn't believe it. My workouts were paying off! I stood there and flexed for a long time. Ever since, I can't wait to get back in the weight room where I know more muscle growth is waiting for me. Is this a great sport, or what?
  #7   Add to Notbigenuff's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 10th, 2004, 08:37 PM

Notbigenuff
And get ready for that time when you suddenly realize that everyone else you run into seems to be smaller than you!
  #8   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 10th, 2004, 11:09 PM

I think the trippiest thing for me was the first time I accidentally bumped my triceps when turning around. I can't help but be turned on every-time I bump them.
  #9   Add to Jim USA's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 11th, 2004, 04:01 AM

Jim USA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim USA
I wore a tank top to the grocery store and while writing my check at the cash register, I caught the lady behind me staring at my triceps. Can you believe that some people have trouble getting motivated to workout? Motivation happens every day once your results start to show.
  #10   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 11th, 2004, 03:38 PM

ottomun6
faint-hearted women

Aw, Jim you big ol muscle stud you!! Did you then lift your muscular forearm to check your watch while flexing?

Brent, sounds like you are gonna have problems squeezing into those t-shirts this summer

Last edited by ottomun6; May 11th, 2004 at 03:41 PM.
  #11   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 12th, 2004, 02:34 AM

Re: faint-hearted women

Quote:
Originally posted by ottomun6
Brent, sounds like you are gonna have problems squeezing into those t-shirts this summer
I hope you're right about that! Interesting fact: last night at the gym, I went to take off my t-shirt, and it just ripped-off instead of coming off. I don't want to start loosing my t-shirts this way, but it did help my ego!

Jim, congrats at having the woman checking out your triceps. It always feels good to have someone appreciate your arms. Once, I was shopping at K-Mart, and the girl checking me out was also checking out my body (I think I was wearing a tank-top too). Her friend who was hanging out at her counter (I don't know why she was hanging out there...) said that her friend thought I has nice arms! It felt good, even though I don't dig girls, and was very motivating.
  #12   Add to hecad84's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 12th, 2004, 08:31 AM

hecad84
Send a message via AIM to hecad84 Send a message via Yahoo to hecad84
Hey Brent, your last post is something I can kinda relate to. Now I'm not built, not by any means, but I am showing some progress with my workouts, and I've started buying nice clothes to go along with that. I have also noticed members of the female gender starting to look in my direction, like when I'm walking around the mall or something. No one's ever said anything, and its all been just passing glances, but hey, it does feel good! Maybe when I gain 20 pounds some nice guys will start looking in my direction too.
  #13   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 12th, 2004, 09:03 AM

hecad84,
I always enjoyed seeing big, beefy guys (see the, "Sightings" thread) and a big part of what motivates me to get into the gym is to provide some eyecandy for others to enjoy. I almost think it's better when it is women, because I am married, and with a woman there is nothing sexual (Portland has a massive homo population both boys & girls) and it seems 'safe' somehow. With guys, it seems that you almost always get asked out, then you have to shoot them down, then you feel like a jerk. However, when you workout, I feel that you are creating a work of art, and art is there for anyone who enjoys it to enjoy it. Gay, straight, male, female, everyone should be able to see something/ someone that inspires them from time to time. I hope you get that extra 20 pounds of muscle soon, and get guys checking you out. If you are single, it could be a nice greeting card of sorts. Also, don't spend too much an nice clothes, as hopefully you will be outgrowing them soon!

Take care! Brent.
  #14   Add to The Magus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 12th, 2004, 01:58 PM

The Magus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to The Magus
Hey, thanks for all the comments, guys...I can't wait until I'm getting the same sort of attention...

Although, just a day after I made that post, a co-worker commented that my legs looked great, and that she was jealous. Sure, she's a girl, but she works out a lot (and is a lesbian if that matters...I work for a gay-owned company...). I have scrawny-ish arms (I need to buy some measuring tape soon...the scales and the pants sizes aren't going to be much help as progress-checkers any more...), but I know that legs are one area that give a lot of people trouble, so it's nice to have at least one strong point.

Scrawny arms aside (and they aren't that scrawny any more...even unflexed you can see some shape in my shoulders and tris), I think this will be the first summer in my life where I feel comfortable wearing sleeveless shirts, and maybe I'll even do some shirtless sunning around Pride week....
  #15   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 12th, 2004, 03:41 PM

ottomun6
chicks

Keep crunching out those workouts Magnus, I'm sure you'll be popping out all over . I think muscle legs are seriously hot , and since you have a head start, you are going to be getting a LOT of attention
I went through another one of those moments with the womenfolk when I went out for lunch. I sat at the table with my co-workers and happened to look up to see the next table of women checking me over. They didn't even try to hide it, first it was just 2 of them and I guess they said something to alert the other two. As we ate lunch, I almost found myself trying to block their view by adjusting my position. (they had to see around my friend's back)
Sheesh! why can't I get that kind of attention from the guys at the gym ?

Last edited by ottomun6; May 12th, 2004 at 03:45 PM.
  #16   Add to hecad84's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 12th, 2004, 03:52 PM

hecad84
Hey again Brent. I always enjoy reading your posts, and your last one, in reply to my last one, was no exception. I think you put it beautifully, your reasons for working out. Since you almost-kinda asked, yes, I'm single. In fact, I've always been single. At age 28 I've yet to have a bf. I've come to realize that if it hasn't happened by now, its probably not going to. Besides too, by the time I actually do start to look good, if I even ever reach that point, I'll be beyond the age when people would even consider me anyway. And if by some miracle I do develop a nice body and someone does get interested, it will only serve to prove the stereotype that the only thing that matters to gays are the guy's body. Now don't take that offensively, because I'm gay too. So why do I bother working out, simple, because I feel good about myself when I look in the mirror and can see things happening to my body.

Anyway, whew, talk about getting off topic. Sorry about that. Going back to the clothes buying thing, I did have an small experience that made me feel kinda good. Its easy shopping at Abercrombie or Hilfiger because they have clothes in their "muscle" or "athletic" fit, which do do a nice job of accenting the physique of someone who takes care of themself. Shopping at Abercrombie is doubly nice, at least at my local one, because of all the hot college jocks that work there! *drool* I remember one particularly un-busy afternoon, I was the only one in the store, so the clerks were all bored looking for something to do. This real good looker of a guy comes up and asks if I'd like to see anything. I do remember there being a few second delay while I cleaned up my thoughts and replied to him!

But, thanks to the influence of a certain member of this forum, I wandered into a Ralph Lauren not too long ago and picked up a couple of polos. They only seem to have regular fit shirts, and I kinda got a kick out of going up to a sales clerk, when the other guys in the store were going gray and had pot bellies, and asking if they had anything in a slim fit!
  #17   Add to Eager Muscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 12th, 2004, 08:35 PM
Yep, it's me; REAL GROWTH

Eager Muscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Eager Muscle
Ready to hang it up at 28 hecad84? Puh-leeez, junior.

You have no idea how little age matters once you have muscles. At least that's been my experience. Probably also the experience of the median birthdates (1961-1963) of all those uber hot dudes on those muscle personals sites (even though they're all probably actually 44-48).

And now that I seem to have established myself as a fellow cynic...

Don't worry, kiddo, you'll get a bf. Bodybuilding isn't necessarily an admission of defeat - that someone won't like you for who you are as a person. Muscles may be a superficial way of snaring a bf, but if you pick right, he'll stay with you for the long haul, long after the muscles are gone.

Last edited by Eager Muscle; May 12th, 2004 at 08:44 PM.
  #18   Add to Notbigenuff's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 12th, 2004, 08:48 PM

Notbigenuff
Just Getting Started!

Hey Hecad84,
I know how frustrating life can seem at times, but Eager Muscle is right--28 is too young to give up (granted it may not seem like it to you at times). I myself, being of the somewhat *cough* older variety and who won't dare step foot into an A&F store, have been known to occasionally attract men--and women--10 or more years my junior.

Though muscles aren't a guarantee of success, they certainly don't hurt when catching the attention of others. It's, of course, your personality and attitude that will keep them around. But, if you keep working out you will be able to keep those muscles for at least a couple of more decades--possibly three or four more!

Oh, and you are right, don't work out because you think other people will like you--work out because you like yourself (end of pep talk).
  #19   Add to Eager Muscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 12th, 2004, 08:57 PM

Notbigenuf: Not to hijack the thread, but I caved and went to an A&F store once - just to look, NOT to buy, and it was a trip! It's like they have all my old, ugly clothes, only they're marked up to quintuple what I paid, of worse quality, and they're manufactured in the Mariana Islands instead of the U.S.A. Yet there's always a line out the door at the register.

Hecad84: At 28 you're too young to give up. At 28 you're not too old to be seriously considered as bf material, with or without muscles. But at 28 you're TOO OLD to be shopping at A&F!
  #20   Add to hecad84's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 13th, 2004, 04:00 PM

hecad84
I'm TOO OLD to shop at A&F??!! Is there some rule I missed about no longer being allowed in an A&F after college age? People also tell me I'm TOO YOUNG to be driving my Packard, but I've never paid attention to that argument either!

Seriously, the above was all meant in fun. When I was in school, I never had A&F (or any other premium brand) clothing. At the time I had a physique that if A&F's designers had seen me wearing their products, they would have repossessed them! Not to mention the obvious conflict of lack of spendable cash while in school. But to say that I admired the looks of those around me at the time that could pull off the "A&F look" would be an understatement. So, what the heck, now I can afford it, now I can look decent in it, and if I happen to be a couple years beyond their target customer, so what.
  #21   Add to Eager Muscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 13th, 2004, 04:56 PM

Ha! Gotcha! I give you sweet, soulful advice and you focus on my comment about A&F! Yer narrowing your bf options, mister.

Seriously...

As a teen I was taught to shop the clearance racks at Kmart.

As a gay NYC adult I shopped the clearance racks at Armani.

When I got a body at _____, I paid retail at Armani Exchange for clothes targeted at twentysomethings.

Here's a tip: At some point (maybe after you grow some more given the prices), bite the bullet and buy clothes at Armani Exchange. Yes, the clothes are aimed at the twentysomething set, but they're well made with beautiful materials and VERY flatteringly cut. You deserve better than A&F.

I'm a firm believer in dressing younger than your age if you look younger doing it. The minute you look older doing it - STOP!
  #22   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 13th, 2004, 07:35 PM

hecad84,
Thank you for the compliment on my posts. I always hope that others will enjoy reading them. As for being 28, I have a good friend that is about to turn 39, is HIV+, has no noticeable muscle on his frame, and has 16-20 year old boys lining up. So at 28, you are far from spent. As for muscle, it might be good for attracting attention, be you need to love the person, not the body. I'd suggest volunteering. I met my husband while I was volunteering, and I think that's a great way to meet someone like minded. Chicago has a very active Democratic party, and there are lots of young guys there. I also see hot guys when I volunteer for Planned Parenthood. You'll be doing something good for the world, and meeting good people.

OK, on the topic of A&F: I personally hate their clothes, and they are WAY over priced. That said, I have gone in there, and said that I wanted the cheapest thing they had, I just want a bag... the biggest bag! The ones with the boys! Other than that, I'm not a big fan. The one exception is when they roll out their new catalogs & have live models, nude, in their windows!
Good Luck!
  #23   Report Post  
Old May 13th, 2004, 08:31 PM
LeatherGryphon

For bodybuilders, 28 is no end point! Perhaps a baseball player, or football player can start counting the seasons to the end of his career but not bodybuilders.

I worked out, on and off, from 22 (1970) to 54 (2002). Sure I gained easier when I was a kid (under 30), but after 30 I finally knew what I was doing. After 40 I made my best total gains and had my most fun in life. I was at my peak when I was 52.

Hell, Jack LaLane looked great in his 70's.

Yes, the body changes but so does the mind. You get to see the world and your body from a new perspective. Believe me, you've got some terrific decades ahead of you.
  #24   Add to Notbigenuff's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 13th, 2004, 08:52 PM

Notbigenuff
Right On!

Thanks Leathergryphon for telling about your personal experience. It's great to remind "the young 'uns" that age isn't anything to fear but to embrace. I also have made some great gains since reaching 40+ and it's good to know that I can look forward to quite a few more years of improvement!

Oh, and Brent, I wouldn't be caught in A&F clothes either--for obvious reasons as stated above--but I gotta admint that their t-shirts look great on the right body...
  #25   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 14th, 2004, 05:43 PM

ottomun6
Bravo LG!! I started thinking that you sounded bummed, but I'm glad to see you are still proud of your achievements. I plan to be in good muscular shape for the rest of my life.
We have to think positive as much as possible. Science has already proven that your body reacts to your way of thinking. If someone believes in negative thoughts, the body actually secreets harmful chemicals. If you believe in positive thoughts, the body secreets beneficial chemicals. The mind and body are amazing pieces of machinery.
Well, enough of my babbling, I gotta go pump some iron
  #26   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 15th, 2004, 05:51 PM

I found it impossible to gain any weight until I turned 25. I'd hate to think that it was all over at 28. That would have only given me 3 good years. I must say that I feel & look better at 31 than I ever have. I also think that I have a couple good decades ahead of me.
  #27   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 15th, 2004, 08:31 PM

ottomun6
The best is yet to come

Bret, you're still a puppy bud. When I was your age, I was just easing off the "bulk up to keep up with the peer group" thing.
Down deep inside I was determined to keep getting bigger, even if the other guys were on the juice. I was really focused on my eating, rest and pushing heavier weights and even lightened some exercises that I couldn't "feel". And with the help of
other guys routing me on, (they would say, c'mon you can do two more- and I did) this really pushed me into the "almost big boy class".
Try to look at it this way, think of an older version of you like a ghost in the background - he's packing an extra 30 lbs of muscle, but he's waiting for you to get there catch up.
Do you use a bike in your courier job? if so, you will probably develop some killer quads. There was a guy at work that had VERY muscular legs, he told us it came from riding his bike everywhere. He seemed to be curious about my build, I haven't seen this guy for over 15 years, to this day I wonder if he got serious about working out. Because I mentioned that he was probably going to have huge legs if he got into squats and such.
Sorry if I'm getting preachy- I just want to see everyone get bigger, I figure if I did it everyone can

Last edited by ottomun6; May 15th, 2004 at 08:39 PM.
  #28   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 20th, 2004, 08:17 AM

Otto, no I do not use a bike in my courier job. Unfortunately (with these historically high gas/petrol prices) I am stuck in my car. I actually am glad because the weather here is so bad... I hate bicycling in the rain.
Also, I realize that I am still fairly young. That was the point of my earlier post: 28/31 are young enough that your life isn't over yet, referring to Hecad's post.
  #29   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 20th, 2004, 12:56 PM

ottomun6
Aw Brett, no bike? You just popped my bubble, I pictured you doing leg exercises and your legs expanding to 31" and you complaining that you can't find pants to fit LOL.
Oh well, if gas keeps going up, maybe we all can get pedal-cars. Then we would have a nation of huge thighed residents

(A guy's gotta dream dosen't he?)
  #30   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 20th, 2004, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomun6
Aw Brett, no bike? You just popped my bubble, I pictured you doing leg exercises and your legs expanding to 31" and you complaining that you can't find pants to fit LOL.
Oh well, if gas keeps going up, maybe we all can get pedal-cars. Then we would have a nation of huge thighed residents

(A guy's gotta dream dosen't he?)
That's funny, and it's a beautiful dream. Just one favor: Please, please, please, for the love of God, Buddha, or whoever, please call me Brent, and not Brett. Thank you.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options