The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Muscle & Mind
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Yesterday at 11:53 PM

Notices

Muscle & Mind Motivation, Inspiration and The Mind. What drives you?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to The Magus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 28th, 2004, 05:28 AM

The Magus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to The Magus
What bugs you about your gym?

I mainly wanted to make a quick rant, but figured I'd let others join in.

My biggest pet peeve is when someone uses a space or machine for something other than what that space or machine is intended...especially when the excercise they're doing could be done easily somewhere else.

This morning, for example, is my squat day, but I ended up having to wait, and eventually had to ask the guy if he had a lot of sets left (he was really nice about it, though, to his credit). Thing is, he was doing bicep curls and tricep extensions, in the only squat rack in the gym.

You can do curls anywhere in the gym, and I can't really think why someone would need an entire squat rack to do them, when there are a dozen benches of various shapes and sizes, many of them with their own rack that would serve his purposes fine.

Meh. I guess it doesn't really make much of a difference...it just baffles me, and when I have a limited time in the gym, I get a little frustrated. I'm hoping my gym gets at least an extra squat rack soon....
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 28th, 2004, 07:37 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Bugs me: Equipment HOGS!

Magus--

I hear you--

I can't stand equipment HOGS--

You know who you are: you range from the neophyte types (usually women!) who camp out in the equipment between sets and don't let anyone work in---"Because you're just going to be a moment...."

--Heard of Lady Gold's??? It was made for YOU!

or, the "Big, buff, studly hunk of self-loving muscle meat" who NEEDS at LEAST three benches: 1 for his water bottle, 1 for his towel and 1 to actually exercise on. Woe to anyone who dares to enter the Inner Sanctum and actually use any of this "reserved" equipment. That brings the instant query: "How long are you going to use that equipment--I'm alternating?!" {Translation: My precious pecs, which could use some help from Olga foundation garments, might possibly lose a nano-second of pump if I don't have complete access to the flat and incline benches at all times!!! And, of course, the floor space in front of the mirror for a distance of 20 yards. I have to check out my splendiferous self!" }

--Oh, get a life! Grunt, Grunt, OINK!

Mdlftr
  #3   Report Post  
Old May 28th, 2004, 07:45 AM
LeatherGryphon

I hate the "noise police". Heaven forbid you should clank the weights or grunt a little. Damn yuppie A.H.'s who live in perfect little worlds and try to export it wherever they go.

And YES, the equipment hogs! Come on people, walk away from equipment if you're not using them. And if you must talk, do so AFTER your set is over AWAY from the equipment.
  #4   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 28th, 2004, 08:21 AM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
the Bling-Bling Clan

At my gym there are several clans of people that tend to congregate in different areas taking us several pieces of equipment. They just sit there talking to other people, and talking on their cell phones for hours. If it were only 1 group, it wouldn't be so bad, but there are multiple groups: a Vietnamese group, a black group, a group of women, etc. I don't mind social groups, but that's what the lobby is for.
  #5   Report Post  
Old May 28th, 2004, 08:49 AM
LeatherGryphon

Ah, the omni-present cell phone. Perhaps someone should "accidentally" drop a weight on one left on a bench.

"Oops, I'm sorry, will you survive without that thing attached to your ear? Maybe we can glue it back together."

Or perhaps someone could stand nearby and sell tickets to watch the addict get his dose.

Or perhaps the next time you hear that annoying little buzz, yell "TELEPHONE CALL FOR THE LADY IN BLUE." No, the noise police would probably get you.

How about perfume and cologne? Gag me with a spoon. Men and women are both guilty of this. Please, wait until you get out to the car to dose yourself in chemicals. Think! People are breathing heavily in a gym. We don't need your asthma generating status symbols. It gets so bad you can tell where people have been, you can follow their path just by the stink they leave wafting behind them or, gad, eminating from the last piece of equipment they used. No we DO NOT like your brand!

As for actual problems with the gym itself. Hmm... how about that music? It wasn't so bad when it was just a local radio station that you could request be changed now and then. Now the big gym chains are piping in their own special brand of blatently gym commercial musak that is sacred and unchangable and unchanging. Ghaaah, throw a dumbell through the speaker.
  #6   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 28th, 2004, 05:53 PM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
i love my gym,but...

people who talk on a cell-phone DURING AN EXERCISE!(one of the 10 warning signals you're not training hard enough!)&personal trainers who encourage circuit training.i'm not saying it doesn't work.but it isn't the only thing that works.&in a crowded gym,telling 1 person to use 5 pieces of equipment at once,IS NOT THE GREATEST PLAN IN THE WORLD!
  #7   Add to Notbigenuff's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 28th, 2004, 07:42 PM

Notbigenuff
Send a message via AIM to Notbigenuff Send a message via Yahoo to Notbigenuff
Put 'em back

I hate having to search for dumbells and barbells of the weight I need because people don't re-rack when they are finished. If you're strong enough to take them down, you're strong enough to put 'em back!

My gym also has only one squat rack and one Smith machine. Which are both apparently intended for curling--silly me, I actually work legs on occasion.
  #8   Report Post  
Old May 28th, 2004, 09:47 PM
LeatherGryphon

I gotta jump in here again. YES, not putting the dumbells away. Exactly what you said and more. If you're strong enough to get them off the rack you're strong enough to put them back IN THE RIGHT PLACE.

Hel-lo ... The rack is labeled, the weights are labeled, this was done for a reason. The dumbells are supposed to be the things made of iron, not the monkeys playing with them.
  #9   Add to Notbigenuff's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 28th, 2004, 10:04 PM

Notbigenuff
Thanks for jumping in LeatherGryphon! Just the other day I went to do some bent over rows and the area was literally littered with unracked barbells! I had to put about 10 of them away so I had room to do my exercise. It was a workout in itself.

My gym is supposed to have people who enforce the rules about re-racking the weights and has signage all over, but it doesn't seem to do any good.

Also, guys, if you've put several hundred pounds of weight on the leg press. Take it off. A lot of newcomers can't move the 100 pounders around and most guys won't ask for help!
  #10   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 28th, 2004, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherGryphon
I gotta jump in here again. YES, not putting the dumbells away. Exactly what you said and more. If you're strong enough to get them off the rack you're strong enough to put them back IN THE RIGHT PLACE.

Hel-lo ... The rack is labeled, the weights are labeled, this was done for a reason. The dumbells are supposed to be the things made of iron, not the monkeys playing with them.
Yeah, my gym has no signage about reracking weights (or any other form of gym etiquette) and no employees will do it, or ask people to do it. I remember last year my husband & I saw a water bottle on the floor of the gym. That same bottle was still there 2 weeks later. By then we all talking about it at the gym. Anyone could have cleaned it up, by nobody that works at the gym ever does anything.

How about how all the employees congregate in 1, or 2 areas, and don't talk to any members. Half the time they don't even check my ID when I enter.

Broken equipment. Why can't 24 Hour Fitness ever fix anything? Most aerobic machines make weird clicks & bumps. The sauna at my local club has been down for nearly 3 months now. The steam room at the newer club in the other direction gets broken by crazy, old, asian ladies as fast as they can fix it.

How about people that jabber in some forign language at the top of their lungs. You don't have to speak English, but I don't think all Vietnamese, & Russian people are deaf are they?

Those are a few of my complaints. I'll add a bunch more soon.
  #11   Report Post  
Old May 29th, 2004, 06:35 AM
LeatherGryphon

This thread reminds me about another of the things I liked about the little unairconditioned gym in Florida. EVERYBODY took care of the weights and there wasn't much complicated equipment to need maintenance.

I love some of the new machines in gyms now days, but the cable stuff does need regular maintenance. And if it's got gears and electronics I sometimes question WHY? No wonder gym memberships cost so much and big franchise gyms end up with lackluster employees and equipment.

Again, my dream for final "retirement" is to own a tiny little gym with a good group of serious core members, non-complicated equipment, and a tiny apartment for me in the back.
  #12   Add to The Magus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 29th, 2004, 07:11 AM

You know, I hear a lot of people talk about the dream of setting up a small weight room for themselves and a few friends, and I find myself wondering why not? How difficult would it be to get a dozen or so guys to put together a shed or something where they can all work out. If you could get a few more guys, you could probably rent a small space and form a private club or something.

Does anyone know what that would entail? Because even if it ended up being more pricey for the individuals involved, I can't help biut think that would be more than made up for by the environment and the exchange of information amongst like-minded lifters...h
  #13   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 29th, 2004, 09:38 AM

LG,
I want to join your gym. 24 Hr.s sucks, and I want to workout with friends. How would you get together enough good people to do this, and how can you get a shed in the city? I'm sure Portland isn't the only shed unfriendly city in America. I guess you could find a friend in the suburbs, but then you'd have to drive...
  #14   Add to wbhunk's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 29th, 2004, 11:31 AM

wbhunk is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to wbhunk Send a message via Yahoo to wbhunk
Hear, hear!

I think every one of my peeves has been covered here -- people hogging equipment, not reracking weights....I'll throw in people wearing lycra who should not be and women wearing only sports bras.
  #15   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 29th, 2004, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbhunk
... and women wearing only sports bras.
What? I thought you southerners had public decency laws.

How about people that have to run in front of you when you are going to the drinking fountain, then they pull out their bottle, and it's huge, and you have to wait forever while they fill it up.

How about People that stock 8 dumbbells at their bench, when you can only one at a time.

How about people that pour stinky oil into the sauna/steam room mechanism?

How about old, wrinkly, naked men that try to talk to you in the gym?

Trust me I have plenty more...
  #16   Add to Notbigenuff's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 30th, 2004, 04:43 PM

Notbigenuff
Question Ummmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbhunk
....I'll throw in people wearing lycra who should not be...
So how do we get the people who shouldn't wear lycra understand that they don't look good in it? Unfortunately, I never see anyone who looks good in lycra as the guys who have the appropriate leg/glute development seem to favor the big boxer style shorts that are so popular these days.

Last edited by Notbigenuff; May 30th, 2004 at 04:47 PM.
  #17   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 31st, 2004, 10:31 AM

My simple rule:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notbigenuff
So how do we get the people who shouldn't wear lycra understand that they don't look good in it? Unfortunately, I never see anyone who looks good in lycra as the guys who have the appropriate leg/glute development seem to favor the big boxer style shorts that are so popular these days.
OK, I simply make fun of anyone that wears Lycra today. It's hopelessly out of date. On a similar topic, my friends & I also will ridicule any breeder that is still wearing all black in this day & age (unless it's their uniform). Hello? Where's the rest of the funeral? Did anyone ever tell you that 1996 came to an end?
  #18   Report Post  
Old May 31st, 2004, 11:10 AM
LeatherGryphon

Meow, meow, pftt, pftt, meow.

Oops, sorry I thought it was getting a bit catty in here.

How about a general observation of people especially women in gyms or elsewhere. Whisperers! What is it that makes people believe they have to say something that requires a whisper and a hand covering their mouth? It's so obvious and I just want to lean over into their private little session and ask them to repeat it.
  #19   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 1st, 2004, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherGryphon
Meow, meow, pftt, pftt, meow.

Oops, sorry I thought it was getting a bit catty in here.
I am catty, and I accept that. Next point?

I mean, I figure that straight people that can't dress themselves belong out in the suburbs. If you hang out in my neighborhood, or one of my friend's neighborhoods, you should look presentable. I don't wear my ruby slippers to their malls.
  #20   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 1st, 2004, 02:29 PM

ethernet_jock
Send a message via Yahoo to ethernet_jock
Wow - you guys make me REALLY greatful for my gym. All the guys there are really courteous about re-racking equipment in the right places, dismanteling large amounts of weight off of equipment after use, and wiping the bench off with a paper towel if they sweat a lot (like I do). We have crappy music, of course (it's a Bally's) but that's what mp3 players are for... and of course we have our little clique clubs of assholes and guys that use 4 pieces of equipment at once and kids and guys with extremely bad form lifting way too much weight for themselves... but most of those things are forgiveable as long as it isn't january or february and you have to wait for every piece of equipment.

I think the only time I've ever been really truly annoyed at my Bally's was when this fat lazy chick was sitting on the leg extension machine for about 30 minutes just sitting and talking on her cell phone while her 13ish or 15ish-year-old son petered around having no idea what he was doing and looking like he was wishing someone would spend some time with him and teach him how to really work out.... only for her to occasionally yell at him for something stupid and annoy everyone else. ARGH... it's a good thing we have more than one leg ext. machine. Poor kid.

Otherwise our Bally's is really good about keeping up equipment, keeping the spa up, and the PTs and employees are ALMOST all really friendly.

I dunno, maybe I'm just lucky and get the good crowd because I chose to go at 10 or 11am as an extended lunch hour instead of evenings like the mass yuppies do... do people actually complain about you occasionally clacking weights or grunting? I can't believe someone would complain about that. I'd probably tell him to f* off and get myself in trouble.

Interesting... at the very least now I know that I've been good about practicing good etiquette. :P
  #21   Report Post  
Old June 1st, 2004, 03:03 PM
LeatherGryphon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent
...I figure that straight people that can't dress themselves belong out in the suburbs. If you hang out in my neighborhood, or one of my friend's neighborhoods, you should look presentable. I don't wear my ruby slippers to their malls.
Mustn't allow your eyes to be contanimated with scenes of blatent lycra abuse or something not currently in Vogue or GQ? Why not? Isn't it a source of amusement and conversation?

I lived for 12 years in pre-gentrified downtown Washington DC, where I was glad my neighbors on the street weren't showing their guns and delighted if they could speak three words in a row and thrilled if they could speak three words in a row without using the f-word. I didn't question them about the angle of their baseball cap and ignored the red hearts on their underware and their pants hanging around their knees.

It's all a matter of relativity, just be glad they're not your relatives.

Last edited by LeatherGryphon; June 1st, 2004 at 03:05 PM.
  #22   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 1st, 2004, 04:26 PM

Talking

I should check out Bally's. I'm getting mighty tired of 24 Hour's crap. BTW the sauna at my local gym looks repaired, but it still isn't on yet.

LG, you are right: I am glad those people aren't my relatives. Also, if thug'n it is the ting in your neighborhood, then do that. I simply think people need to dress appropriately for where they are. Also, I haven't read a Vogue, GQ, or anything else like that for over 15 years. I think people have an innate sense of style, and you can see the trends around you. I think of fashion magazines like I do 'Current Conditions' on the weather forecast: I could have got that by walking up to the window.
  #23   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 1st, 2004, 06:42 PM

glammaman2000
...troublemaker!...

that's me!i like to think i can function in all kinds of social circles(&have proven it!)i am fascinated by cultural differences.EQUALITY IS NOT SAMENESS!i let blacks be black,asians be asian.&i let me be white.as long as we realize there is no normal;we can all learn&ive with each other.
  #24   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 2nd, 2004, 12:05 PM

ethernet_jock
Quote:
let blacks be black,asians be asian.&i let me be white
so what are us Mutts to be then? Us half middle-eastern and half european mutts are all wondering now what we should be.

The ignorance of your approach perplexes me, I couldn't help but comment. I think I get the gist of your statement and you're headed in the right direction.... maybe we should refine it to something like:

Let people be people and give them equal opportunities to what they have.

no?
  #25   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 2nd, 2004, 12:15 PM
Muscle Czar

Corwin has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to Corwin Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent
I should check out Bally's. I'm getting mighty tired of 24 Hour's crap.
Be nice -- the company I work for just signed a big deal with APEX/24 Hour Fitness. Press release at http://www.bodymedia.com

Scott

"Stand firm for what you believe in until or unless logic or experience prove you wrong. Remember, when the emperor looks naked the emperor is naked. The truth and a lie are not sort of the same thing. And there's no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can't be improved with pizza." Daria
  #26   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 2nd, 2004, 05:51 PM

glammaman2000
MUTTS!,my dear ethernet...

...are the wave of the future.(some of my best relatives,etc.)probably our greatest hope.i've always thought that america's greatest strength is not the virtue of any component part;but the inability of any part to maintain the upper hand.confusion is good.it's when peope are sure they're right that you have to check your back.(this all started as someone complaining about ethnic"clicques"at his gym.
  #27   Add to traveller's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 3rd, 2004, 05:41 AM

traveller
I only glanced at previous responses, so I'm sure I'm redundant:

* Dumbbells at the San Mateo Gold's Gym that only range up to 100 lbs., because mgmt. says that gym is intended for women (not my words).

* People who reek of strong body odor or perfume/cologne. If I can smell you at a distance, I don't think that's a good thing. Gold's Gym Brannan/SOMA in San Francisco has a few guys who don't know how to use soap and water. The perfume/cologne clouds seem to occur everywhere.

* People who talk loudly enough to be heard over the loud background music and out into the parking lot. Last night, two people, who were 3 feet apart, were shouting out loud at each other. They were just socializing so that everyone within 50 feet can enjoy their company.

* Aside from putting weights/dumbbells in the wrong places, people who leave very light weights on all the machines. It shouldn't be difficult to put back the 2 5-lb. weights someone used on a bench press machine.

* People who don't share a machine. A selectorized weight machine is easy to set back and forth to different weights quickly. In a public gym, sharing is expected.

* (Very selfish opinion) People who are just in my way. I go to the gym during non-peak hours. I hate it when people are in the way. I won't say anything; I just work around them. If there are multiple machines/pieces of equipment, there's no problem. But, if someone/some people live on a machine because they socialize too much or take 15 min. breaks between sets, I can be perturbed if he/she/they are in my way. I rarely see that. Last time I saw this was at L.A. Fitness at the Ansley (sp?) Mall in Atlanta. Some bitchy off-duty gym worker hogged a machine, while socializing too much with gym workers on duty. The guy who was waiting for the machine got pissed off (but didn't say anything to her), and walked away.

Mmm. I think I ranted a bit too much. :^)

Traveller
  #28   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 4th, 2004, 11:45 AM

Oops, sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by glammaman2000
this all started as someone complaining about ethnic"clicques"at his gym.

I think I might be the guilty party. After rereading a couple of my earlier posts, I can see how some bits could be interpreted as racist. If you read them that way, it was purely unintentional, and I am deeply sorry. That would NEVER be my intention. I have friends of all races, and nationalities. When I was talking about ethnic cliques, I was more thinking of people sitting on equipment, and not using it. Part of me is bothered that these cliques seem so ethnically exclusive, I am not a fan of xenophobia.

Also, each person should do their own thing. I know white kids that act black, because most of their friends are black. That's what they see, and who they identify as, and I think that is great for them. It isn't right for me, but that should be for me to decide.
  #29   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 4th, 2004, 03:08 PM

glammaman2000
right!

..i haven't learned any complicated new handshakes&i think my black friends respect me for that.
  #30   Add to Notbigenuff's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 4th, 2004, 11:32 PM

Notbigenuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveller
People who are just in my way...Mmm. I think I ranted a bit too much. :^)

Traveller
For what it's worth, I don't think you ranted too much. In fact, your "ranting" let me know that I'm not the only person who get's upset when people are just in the way. I think what makes it more infuriating is that these people don't seem to realize or understand that they are in the way and when you ask if they are using the equipment that they are monopolizing they give a look of "why on earth would you think I'm using this?" Or worse when they say they are using it and haven't touched the equipment, bench, bar, etc. in 15 minutes!
  #31   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 6th, 2004, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notbigenuff
For what it's worth, I don't think you ranted too much. In fact, your "ranting" let me know that I'm not the only person who get's upset when people are just in the way. I think what makes it more infuriating is that these people don't seem to realize or understand that they are in the way and when you ask if they are using the equipment that they are monopolizing they give a look of "why on earth would you think I'm using this?" Or worse when they say they are using it and haven't touched the equipment, bench, bar, etc. in 15 minutes!
I enjoyed that 'rant' too. Lately I've been asking people if they are using the piece of equipment, even if I feel intimidated. If they are using it, I'll ask if I can work in. Most people are very accommodating when you have a very friendly tone of voice. It can also be a nice way of meeting some of the people you see everyday.
  #32   Add to The Magus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 10th, 2004, 02:40 PM

I always ask, now, even though I tend to be anti-social in general. And I'd rather someone else ask me than they just sit and get upset.

Lately, I've been getting frustrated with people who don't unload the bar when they're finished with it. If I see weights on a bar, I usually assume that that bench or rack is in use, so I end up waiting for a non-existant person to finish their set.
  #33   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 10th, 2004, 03:48 PM

I ask about that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magus
...Lately, I've been getting frustrated with people who don't unload the bar when they're finished with it. If I see weights on a bar, I usually assume that that bench or rack is in use, so I end up waiting for a non-existant person to finish their set.
I have started to ask in general, so that a few of the people around me can hear. If nobody responds, I just take it. I'm tired of waiting.
  #34   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 11th, 2004, 09:45 AM

ethernet_jock
Lots of times one of the guys who I identify as "regular" will approach me and ask me if I know if a nearby piece of equipment is being used that still has weights on it. That seems to be a pretty good method to determine if someone has rudely left it stacked or not and if it's available. You can always tell if I'm still using something because my big blue clipboard will always be sitting there waiting to be filled-out.

Q - This huge older (mid 40's) BB guy on Wednesday was watching me do decline bench by myself. When I finished, only performing 5 reps on my last set and barely racking the bar, he offered that I should ask him any time I wanted for a spot. At first I thought... wow... thank you, what an incredibly nice guy. All I said to him was "Thank you! Yeah I'm just really accoustomed to always being alone." and his response was "Yeah, I know how that works." Only he's usually with a larger group of very huge BBrs and is hardly ever totally alone. In retrospect tho, I'm thinking... did he intend to tell me in a nice way that my form sucks? Or.... was there another motive there all together? I guess further encouters with this guy will probably reveal if he has an extra motive and I WILL ask him for a spot next time I'm on flat or decline bench.... just interesting anyway. Sorry to ramble but I was seeking a little novice advice.

:P

Thanks guys!
Old June 11th, 2004, 12:00 PM
LeatherGryphon
This message has been deleted by LeatherGryphon.
  #35   Report Post  
Old June 11th, 2004, 12:06 PM
LeatherGryphon

Perhaps he was seeing someone who was willing to "push it" but had to stop short of that last ounce of effort for safety reasons and was simply offering his services to a worthy athelete. I wouldn't construct too much meaning into his offer. Just take him up on the offer soon and you've built a bridge into the group.
  #36   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 12th, 2004, 07:05 AM

ottomun6
Send a message via Yahoo to ottomun6
Cool

Totally agreeing with LG on that. Try not to get sidetracked by those negative thoughts. If there is a chance that you think someone is trying to hit on you (I'm guessing here) just bring up your family. I'm sure they will get the hint that you're straight.
If it's worry that he just wants to embarrass you, I kind of doubt that. Usually an offer for help is just that. Friendships are built that way, and it seems to be a lot more fun when you have friends to train with.
  #37   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 12th, 2004, 03:49 PM

glammaman2000
splitting hairs

i managed a gym for many years,so i'm sympathetic to most of the problems.there is constant pressure for new equipment,but particularly here in NY,where space is at a premium,mgmnt sometimes forgets that YOU NEED A PLACE TO STAND!also,i'm almost always in a good mood;but on days when the"high energy"music is particularly annoying;the only thing that can make it worse is listening to people gripe about it(on my"bad"days)
  #38   Add to traveller's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 12th, 2004, 07:41 PM

traveller
run-on sentences

I don't mind talking to people when I'm at the gym. But when they interfere with my workout, I find that annoying. When guy wouldn't stop talking even when I was in the middle of a set. He eventually went away.

BTW, he wasn't trying to hit on me, he just likes to rant and rave. He wasn't great looking, so I'd just stand there and look at his chest hair while sound came out of his mouth.

Traveller
  #39   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 14th, 2004, 09:04 AM

EJ,
I'd take this guy up on his offer for a spot. You can always do more with a spotter, and it's always nice to know someone at the gym. I'd ask him to watch my form at first, then if he wants to help you with it, I'd consider his advice. As for ulterior motives, be sure your wedding band is visible.

Gamma,
Trust me, gyms aren't just crammed in NY, this trend of providing everything to everyone has created very crowed gyms. Even the suburban gyms around here are packed so tight with equipment, it's hard for people to pass at times. Also, I think it's hard for them to lease more space later on as they try to cater to more people.
  #40   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 14th, 2004, 11:40 AM

ethernet_jock
Brent and Everyone Else,

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely take the guy up for his offer. I could definitely use a spot on that last set of that last rep or two on any bench-type lift.

As for other motives - I guess I shouldn't be so self-depricating. He's a lot older than I am (mid 40's probably) and it's very unlikely that he would mean anything other than exactly what he said. As for wedding bands well... I take that off before I go lift. I learned that lesson like the 2nd day. Ever get that sucker pinched inbetween a heavy bar and your finger? *ouch*.... Furthermore someone actually warned me once that they actually bent their wedding ring doing a heavy lift - I believe it - those things aren't as strong as they look.

Thanks again everyone!

-Chris

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode