The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to agreatguy6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 6th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Myself. Skinny guy.

agreatguy6 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation The $0.01 abs challenge

I'm poor as dirt.
There's not a gym in reach, and i'm too poor to join one.

BUT

I'm a stick, basically, and my psychiatrist told me I need some muscle or weight of some kind or he's sending me to the hospital for being underweight.

SO

with the former in mind, how on EARTH am I supposed to grow? I mean, he said weight, and there's NO WAY I'm gonna let that be fat. That's why I screwed myself up getting too thin in the first place ><
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to TheMM's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 6th, 2008, 06:34 PM
"This is no trick!"

TheMM is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreatguy6 View Post
I'm poor as dirt.
There's not a gym in reach, and i'm too poor to join one.

BUT

I'm a stick, basically, and my psychiatrist told me I need some muscle or weight of some kind or he's sending me to the hospital for being underweight.

SO

with the former in mind, how on EARTH am I supposed to grow? I mean, he said weight, and there's NO WAY I'm gonna let that be fat. That's why I screwed myself up getting too thin in the first place ><
So, you were overweight before, but now you're a skinny stick....Then doc says to gain weight, and you don't wanna be fatty again...Plus, ya can't afford anything...hmm...you've really got quite a problem here, I gotta think on this one.

"Put your controller on the floor...Put it down as flat as you can...That's good. Now I will move your controller by the power of my will alone!"
  #3   Add to agreatguy6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 6th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Myself. Skinny guy.

lol, almost, I was NEVER fat. My whole family is, so i guess it turned into a complex ><
idk, still, i mean, basically, i have nothing.
is there some sort of workout that doesn't require weights or something?
I mean, i'm not tryin to look like... Zeb or Sagi or anything, just decent and presentable xD
  #4   Add to Slevin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 6th, 2008, 07:51 PM

Slevin is on a distinguished road
I assume your Psychiatrist has sufficiently treated the psychology behind your weight loss.

I do think you are kind of starting backwards. The first step should be a visit to a nutritionist (or at least some research). You need to develop a diet that will keep you nourished. The last thing you need it to hit the gym and loose more weight.

As for monetary purposes, people in the poorest countries in the world have produced bodybuilders. Yes, once you get to that level of needing supplements it is expensive.

On a basic level you can load your diet down with protein, keep yourself hydrated before, during and after a workout.

For equipment try to find a local thrift store. I was in one today looking for some cheap art and I noticed there were plenty of weights available that were dirt cheap. No they aren't nautilus equipment, usually just bars, clamps and sand filled but they work in the exact same way the expensive equipment can.
  #5   Add to TheMM's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 6th, 2008, 07:55 PM
"This is no trick!"

Quote:
lol, almost, I was NEVER fat. My whole family is, so i guess it turned into a complex ><
idk, still, i mean, basically, i have nothing.
is there some sort of workout that doesn't require weights or something?
I mean, i'm not tryin to look like... Zeb or Sagi or anything, just decent and presentable xD
Ahh, my mistake then. I do hope it wasn't a major thing, like anorexia or something.

As for no weights, yes. The simplest workout ever...use stuff around your house and your own body as the weight. Unless you live in a place with absolutely nothing in it, then you can probably improvise some sort of weight. Try to do exercises like sit-ups and push-ups, and jog around for your cardio, etc etc, stuff like that.

I tried once to get big, but that's a sob story I don't feel like retelling (too lazy to type it again) but even to this day, I am not huge at all, but I am especially not unfit by most standards. Every weekend for several hours (not all at once), I spar with my father to keep ourselves in decent shape (and our martial arts skills nice and sharp to boot). It costs either of us nothing (not counting a bruised ego) as well.

"Put your controller on the floor...Put it down as flat as you can...That's good. Now I will move your controller by the power of my will alone!"
  #6   Add to agreatguy6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 6th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Myself. Skinny guy.

naw, more like "Oh, i skipped lunch cuz I was helping a teacher a few times, and then... i just stopped being hungry O__O"

kool, I think i could do that ^__^
  #7   Add to TheMM's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 6th, 2008, 08:44 PM
"This is no trick!"

Quote:
naw, more like "Oh, i skipped lunch cuz I was helping a teacher a few times, and then... i just stopped being hungry O__O"

kool, I think i could do that ^__^
I kinda do that during summer break, since I'm pretty much not as active as usual. I might eat a small breakfast, a normal dinner with a dessert, and my eating is done for the day.

#8   Add to Slevin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 6th, 2008, 11:25 PM

Slevin is on a distinguished road
There is an important difference in changing eating habits and reducing PO intake, the latter of which agreatguy6 seems to have (had?).
  #9   Add to mmfan2's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 7th, 2008, 03:04 AM

mmfan2 is on a distinguished road
I think gym equipment is needed if you want a gym body.

BUT ...

I got excellent results by changing my diet and my activity levels in my everyday life.

I switched from a lot of frozen foods to fruit and vegies. I eat nice cereal (bran based) for breakfast, a banana for morning tea, a large, delicious home-made tuna+salad wrap for lunch (with a "dessert" yoghurt), an apple and/or soup for afternoon tea, then pretty much whatever I want for dinner (normally pasta with vegies). It also means I can eat other stuff pretty much whenever I want (lunch with mates, office cake, etc). I have lost stacks of weight but I eat so much I am never hungry and also my body has heaps of protein(?) for muscle growth.

The thing is, once you get used to eating healthy ... it's usally cheaper and also, you simply don't want to eat bad stuff ... it's like a self-perpetuaing cycle.

For activity: I got a BIKE. So cheap, but now I ride everywhere ... especially to work and back (18klm round trip). Dump the electric mower and go hand operated one. Play a sport with a friend (lots of parks have walls for tennis which are free to use)

To be honest, your email sounded like you have an eating disorder of some kind. So, excessive exercise is probably not for you! Don't be afraid of food! The trick is to get your basic eating habits healthy - (you will learn to love fresh mixed salad + olives + feta (with a bit of olive oil)... yum). Then you can eat heaps and it is actually doing GOOD things to your body.
  #10   Add to agreatguy6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 7th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Myself. Skinny guy.

thanks for the replies, guys

yeah, I think... maybe I'd better get back to normal before I start anything ><

Oh, and before we get on the "eating disorder" thing, which I haven't got, just thought I might add: i'm an actor. Lately, i haven't been eating right, and I just got done with a show (we did The Wiz, I was in ensemble, and it was amazing) so not only did my not eating right make me loose too much, but the stress of backstage drama and the actual dancing (not to mention that SAUNA of a friggin stage, i was sweating bullets!) contributed a great deal.

ANYWAY..
once again, mucho gracias
I'll check again later, when i'm in better (well... normalized ><) shape
  #11   Add to Aikuchi's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 7th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Always a fan.

Aikuchi is on a distinguished road
Most actors I know in theatre (I work in one, but not for long) are generally healthy (well ... the younger ones anyways) but with flexible body types, which can be pretty chameleon-like when they know what roles you have to take months ahead of time!

Still, best of efforts and goals to reach your ... uhmm normalised shape

---

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options