The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Watch Me Grow
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Watch Me Grow Discuss your own personal muscle goals and document your bodybuilding progress, including gains in size and strength and also get encouragement from others.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 16th, 2005, 10:14 PM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
Summer Growth Challenge 2005

It's almost Summer, does anyone want a repeat of last year's challenge? I remember few of us did a follow up at the end of last Summer, and my Fall & Winter challenges died on the vine. So I'm a little apprehensive....
  #2   Add to massingUP's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 17th, 2005, 04:23 AM

massingUP is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to massingUP
Heh heh... Well, this summer is all about me trying to shed some fat -- so I'm not sure I'd be up for a "growth" challenge. But maybe at the end of the summer?

-- J.

http://www.bigmuscle.com/~massingUP
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #3   Add to muscle_mastah's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 17th, 2005, 04:59 AM

muscle_mastah is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to muscle_mastah
I'm so tired of trying to cut and get this last 10lbs off, I might just abandon it and go for the bulk and freaky huge. Are there any rules, conditions etc?
  #4   Add to CTeen's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 17th, 2005, 07:35 AM

CTeen
Well, I'll give it a try.

My summer goals were originally to go from 170 to 180 (for me, summer being from May 1st to September 1st). I was making amazing progress, being halfway through my goal, when BAM! got mono. Mono with nasty complications, making for a very sick young man.

So, after sitting on my ass for quite some time I lost 5lbs... back at 170 and discouraged.

I don't think I have enough time to get to 180lbs by my original deadline, but I will give it a try. I'll do my best at the gym today, despite still trembling in the aftershocks of mono.

So... maybe I'll post pictures at the end of it all if I make my goals. Guess I'll keep ya'll updated.

Take care,

-CTeen
  #5   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 17th, 2005, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_mastah
and go for the bulk and freaky huge. Are there any rules, conditions etc?
Sounds like a good idea to me. I propose that like last year, there are no real rules, just leave yours tats, and a pic or 2 for the start, then the end of Summer. It's more of a good excuse to keep your butt in the gym. We could even give it a different name so people like James could partake.
  #6   Add to Marco_ukmus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 17th, 2005, 09:02 AM
On route to freakdom

Marco_ukmus is on a distinguished road
Hi All,

Well, obviously i did not take part last time round since i was not a member then so why not! you can count me in.

Let me know what you want from me and more specifically, when. Obviously i will upload current stats and pics when we start the challenge and at the end, but if there is anything else, let me know...

Marc

.:: Website:www.marcomus.com | Email: [email protected] ::.
.:: Pics & Movie clip Media | BB Progress Thread ::.
  #7   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 17th, 2005, 10:48 AM

As for what's wanted, might I suggest looking at last year's thread? (Results thread here)

As for when to start, I'd say by June 21st, as that's the first day of Summer, and have it end on Sept. 21st.
  #8   Add to The Magus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 17th, 2005, 12:38 PM

The Magus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to The Magus
I'm in.

Even though I haven't been to the gym in about 4 months, I've made some progress in my fitness level. I've been doing manual labour for the last few months, lifting boxes and pails and whatnot weighing between 20 and 80 pounds continuously throughout the day. I've also been on our city's gay rugby team, with practices twice, sometimes three times a week, and games every second weekend or so. I can say I've never been in better shape in my life.

I haven't weighed myself since I was last at the gym, and at the time I was 210-215lbs, but I'm sure I've shed another 10, at least, and have replaced some more fat with muscle (mainly in my legs and upper back), but I'm going in the wrong direction now: I want to gain weight, not keep losing it. Also, while rugby and lifting boxes is great for my legs and back, I feel like my chest is starting to lag behind, and my arms haven't grown significantly, either (getting some good triceps definition, though).

I've found a hole-in-the-wall gym just across the street from where I work and 10 minutes from where I live, so I'll be getting a membership there, and once that's done, I'll be all set except for my nutrition, which is going to be a problem, and maybe some of you guys can help me out a bit.

To get big you have to eat big, and that's where I'm failing. First, I'm not making very much money - about two-thirds what I was making this time last year - so I've had to cut back on supplements, and I have to be very careful when I shop for groceries, or else I blow my budget and the bill collectors get testy.

Second, my job is in a pretty primitive location. We have nothing to heat or re-heat food, and my budget requires that I bring my lunch rather than buy it. I also only have a half-hour for lunch, and I work 9 hour days. Trying to eat a lot early in the day and have meals 3 hours or so apart is a giant challenge. Also, I'm sick of sandwiches: it's worse than the PB&J Crisis when I was in grade 6, which forced me away from jam sandwiches for years...

I'm burning massive amounts of calories in my daily life, and I'm having a hard time replacing them. Any suggestions for good, high-protein meals that are a) cheap, b)edible while cold, and c) easy and fast to prepare (so I can do it either in the evenings before bed or in the mornings before work)? Has anyone else been in a similar situation and have some tips?

Also, I figure that, like last year, the "rules" don't need to be restrictive: the spirit of the Summer Growth Challenge is more to encourage us to set and reach our personal goals, and to encourage others at the same time. It can be motivating to know that while you're busting your ass in the gym, there are others around the world who are doing the same thing. The "Challenge" part is more of a personal thing, not a competition between participants (though if rivalry helps you stay motivated, then by all means recruit a rival or two).

Once I've got that gym membership, I'll post my current stats and I'll try to find someone with a digital camera to get some pics up. I feel like I'm the last long-time member of the evolution archive to give anyone an image to match the name.

This was longer than I thought it would be: I just wanted to say "I'm in."
  #9   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 17th, 2005, 04:36 PM

Magus, I'm glad to hear you are in since you started the idea last year. Without your involvement the whole thing seems like it'd be rather empty.

Since we have many members in TO, maybe you could get one of them to take pics? I would offer, but it's a long drive from LV... Also, my answer would be rather embarrassing once I got to the Canadian boarder, "What's your business in Canada?" "Um, taking pictures of one of your citizens to post on the Internet..." That might land you in the back seat of a Mounty's car. (Not on my list of to-do's while in Canada...)

As for eating, I suggest cheese sandwiches, PB&J sandwiches (sorry), fruit is ?ber-healthy & keeps great, and of course my standby: a thermos full of cheap whey protein (isn't this what they were made for?) These are many of the items that have helped me keep the bill collectors at bay. Now if only the 99? Only Store stocked creatine I'd really be rid of them...

We didn't have any rivalry last year, and I think that's best since we all have different goals as James pointed out.
  #10   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 17th, 2005, 06:11 PM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
Summer Mo'Better?

That way,bigger or more cut up,everybody can reach their goals&share them!I'm in!Right now,my boss is moving.AGAIN!(4th time in 6yrs!)I'm in charge.My buddy is short-staffed in his landscaping business during peak season,so I haven't had a day off since May1.&a good friend just had a mastectomy;so she needs help.HOPEFULLY,this will all be over by end of July.&soon,I hope to get past legs,cardio&shoulders&back to the fun stuff!(CHEST!ARMS!BACK!)
  #11   Add to joel24242's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 18th, 2005, 07:47 AM

joel24242
Send a message via MSN to joel24242 Send a message via Yahoo to joel24242
Hey guys, im going to throw my hat in aswell, and this time post some pics so that ill have to follow through just to keep face. Hopefully I can keep motivation up cos its damn cold down here in the southern hemisphere at the mo. Stupid winter. Anyway, just means I will have a jump start for summer. So YAY for the challenge and lets see where all our motivation and encouragement can take us.

Joel.

recurring one time gym goer.
  #12   Add to CanadianGordon's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 18th, 2005, 02:00 PM

CanadianGordon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to CanadianGordon
I'm currently figuring out what gym I'm switching to so my workouts have been sporadic, but it's easy enough to pick it up again.

If I can get new pics done soon, I'll throw my hat in.
G.
  #13   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 18th, 2005, 02:12 PM

optimusx is on a distinguished road
Hmm I guess I'm in as well.. wish this has started about 3 months ago when I was still around 255... hehe.. oh well.. guess I'll just have to put on another 15 pounds by Sept I guess we should all have "before" pics and such... hmm.. maybe this is as good a reason as any to start a growth journal .. hmmm.. indeed.

Scott
  #14   Add to joel24242's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 21st, 2005, 04:08 AM

joel24242
Send a message via MSN to joel24242 Send a message via Yahoo to joel24242
Hey guys, well the evening of the 21st has started here, the longest night of the year for the southern hemisphere. Thought I should follow through and post up some beginning stats to get the ball rolling. No sniggering, and ive never measured myself before so i hope i do it correctly. So here goes

Height: 178cm (5'10")
Weight: is around 82kgs I think. I'll have to find out
Arms: 33cm (13")
Chest: 97cm (38")
Neck: 38cm (15")
Quads: 58cm (23")
Calves: 38cm (15")
Waist: 95cm (37.5")

Ok there they are in black and white. Well all I have to do now is work hard and hopefully a few of them might shift a little. Mostly i wouldnt mind taking a bit of my waist, and gain some size in my chest and arms, my legs aren't too bad to begin with. I'm about to take some pics now but not sure if i should post them now or wait till i see some improvements to compare, so if you wanna see them now just yell.

That's all from me for now, I plan to go to the gym tomorrow after work. Let the challenge begin and good luck to everyone else.

Cheers,
Joel.
  #15   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 21st, 2005, 06:38 AM

ethernet_jock
Send a message via Yahoo to ethernet_jock
Joel!!!

Welcome to the forum and the challenge.... man... it sounds like you've got some FANTASTIC opportunity there to really make improvement. You're not lagging very far behind anyone and you're obviously motivated to improve.

If I were to answer one question above it would be: YES... absolutely DO take "before" pictures... and take them now. Measurements are great, but nothing's better than really truly SEEING your growth for yourself when you can compare photos side-by-side. Take as many pictures as you can now from as many angles and poses that you can think of... be sure to take your shirt off! Be sure to flex your muscles hard!!

Looking at yourself in the mirror every day won't cut it, not one bit.

--

guys - I want to participate in this challenge but I'm going to have a baby here in mid/late August and I know that's going to knock me off my workout for a good 8-12 weeks at least....When you have a newborn, sleep becomes the essential elixir and nothing else matters other than catching as much sleep as you possibly can... Mid-August would be roughly half the summer challenge season and I think I would just end up disappointing myself.

Fall challenge again for me? Maybe?
  #16   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 21st, 2005, 07:55 AM

A rocky start

Hey, I recently got a new job, and so for the next week and a half, I'm going to be working 2 jobs (near full time at both) and trying to work out. So you won't see much of me here for a while. Please bear with me.

Stats:
arms: 18"
forearms: 14.5"
shoulders: 50"
chest: 49.5"
legs: 26.5"
calves: 17"
weight: 217 lbs.
bf%: 23.8%
  #17   Add to CanadianGordon's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 21st, 2005, 08:24 PM

CanadianGordon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to CanadianGordon
I'll get my stats done asap... I'm back at the gym with a vengance.
Screw the world. I'm doing it for me!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options