The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to costaud's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 24th, 2008, 02:49 PM

costaud is on a distinguished road
Advice(s) on stretching

Hey guys

I need some advice on stretching. I've been doing some readings on the issue and i must say it got me confused. Some people seem to be saying it's best to stretch prior to the workout, some say you should do it instead after your workout, and some others say you should not stretch if you are aiming for mass... Personally i do believe in stretching, but eh!, I could be wrong!

So what do you guys think? and for those who stretch, any recommendations on helpful motions/stretches?

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to inflated's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 26th, 2008, 12:38 PM

inflated is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by costaud View Post
Hey guys

I need some advice on stretching. I've been doing some readings on the issue and i must say it got me confused. Some people seem to be saying it's best to stretch prior to the workout, some say you should do it instead after your workout, and some others say you should not stretch if you are aiming for mass... Personally i do believe in stretching, but eh!, I could be wrong!

So what do you guys think? and for those who stretch, any recommendations on helpful motions/stretches?

Cheers!
Stretching after a workout is ideal, before a workout is unnecessary and can actually cause damage if you are not warmed up. On off days, stretching and yoga are a good way to keep limber.
  #3   Add to eiweiss's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 26th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Muscle grower

eiweiss is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to eiweiss
There has been a recent review publised about this topic and it is clear that you should never stretch immediately after a workout, as it will increase injury. After 15 minutes of rest it's ok. Imagine that your hard worked muscle is a bit too stiff right after workout and the blood vessels are pumping nutrients into it. But when you're stretching immediately after the set, your stiff muscle will be TORN apart which leads to greater muscle damage and eventually to overtraining. Secondly all the small blood vessels will be compressed by the force and all the nutrients won't reach the target. This is not so dangerous for the muscle, but it is for all your tendons.

So, stretching, yes, after workout, yes but keep a 10-15 minute "distance" from the last exercise of that muscle (eg. after doing abs, do some stretching)...
  #4   Add to hypnokip's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 26th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Aspiring muscleman

hypnokip is on a distinguished road
Bob Anderson's book <em>Stretching</em> is awesome. Has a stretch for about every one of the muscles in your body. Check it out!
  #5   Add to hypnokip's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 5th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Aspiring muscleman

hypnokip is on a distinguished road
costaud, did you try the book out?
  #6   Add to strongman2006's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 7th, 2008, 04:07 PM
strongman2006

strongman2006 is on a distinguished road
No static stretching...

My strength coach has instructed me NOT to perform any kind of static stretching anytime before, during or after my workout. The reason is that static stretching actually relaxes the muscles, stretches the muscles beyond their range of motion, and does NOT prepare them for any active movement which can lead to injury. Unless you have a pre-existing muscle injury which requires you to stretch it from time to time, stretching is unnecessary.

A good alternative is to perform "dynamic stretching" which activates the muscles. A good example would be high knees, high kicks, or arm rotations.

I'm only basing it on my experience. Feel free to comment on this.

Thanks,

5'6", 310 lbs., 54" ch, 21.5" a, 20" neck, 30" quads, 19.5" calves

"I'm NOT a person anymore ... I'm THE HULK!"
-- Prologue to "The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction" video game

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size