The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to equus3's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 6th, 2008, 04:40 AM

equus3 is on a distinguished road
My back is weird. I don't understand it.

More or less a year ago (July-October 2007) I used to go to the gym. Then I had a few months' break. During this break I only sometimes worked out at home a little, but there was one special thing I started doing - I bought a pull-up bar and started exercising on it. At the beginning I wasn't able to pull myself up even once (I managed to do only something like 1/5 of the full move). But I started experimenting with the coming-down part only and after some time I was to able to pull myself up. I exercised further and after some time I could pull myself up 5-6 times (I think it's cool if you compare with the state from a few months before, when I couldn't do it even once).
So, it's August 2008 and again I have the possibility of going back to the gym. And I think to myself: "wow, my back has made some progress (visually too), I guess my cable pull-downs will be much better now". And guess what? My cable pull-downs were actually even a bit worse than before!
WTF? I don't understand it. I've always been told that pull-ups and cable pull-downs complement each other perfectly. Somehow it doesn't seem to be the case with me.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to yobdior's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 6th, 2008, 04:22 PM

yobdior is on a distinguished road
If your strength is similar, then it was probably a question of (lack of) CNS co-ordination and stimulation that was making the pull-ups/chins so hard in the first place.

Although strength obviously carries over, often those who are fairly new to training can make huge gains in specific exercises (mostly CNS co-ordination) that don't always translate perfectly to other similar exercises. As your body gets used to training in various ways/exercises, exercises will probably become more consistent.
  #3   Add to Lucas88's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 6th, 2008, 06:55 PM

Lucas88 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Lucas88
You might try the same technic with the pull-downs as you did with the pull-ups...get a training partner or friend to help you get the weight down and you focus on the negative (not letting the weight go up too fast).

Just a thought.

I plead ignorance on CNS co-ordination but I know a little about psychology...and if you're at a sticking point, use whatever works to get around it in your head...worked on the pull-ups...
  #4   Add to equus3's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 7th, 2008, 12:28 PM

equus3 is on a distinguished road
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Yobdior, do you have any more information on this CNS co-ordination thing? I've never heard of it and would like to get to know something more.
This idea with negative pull-down seems cool too, thanks.
  #5   Add to inflated's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 7th, 2008, 02:08 PM

inflated is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by equus3 View Post
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Yobdior, do you have any more information on this CNS co-ordination thing? I've never heard of it and would like to get to know something more.
Talk to a chiropractor, they know more about the Central Nervous System than almost anyone. I have found that a chiropractic adjustment can get my CNS more in tune and working to its highest capability. As you lift heavier its a good idea to go to a chiropractor on a regular basis. I am a big believer in the benefits of regular chiropractic adjustment, it has helped me to fine tune my CNS.
  #6   Add to yobdior's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 7th, 2008, 02:43 PM

yobdior is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by equus3 View Post
I probably could search for some articles, but it's not really that complex to understand.

Imagine when you begin any new activity or sport. It takes the brain and central nervous system a while to coordinate your movements, the movements of the muscles, when to contract each particular muscle and in which order and with how much force (stimulation), and so on. You can often see this learning process in action in new trainers - their muscles shake and wobble a lot more when pressing dumbbells, for instance.

But this is also why we improve so quickly from our first attempt at most new activities/exercises, as our brain/CNS learns how to coordinate our movements to perform them as efficiently and effectively as possible.

Of course, once our 'connection' to our muscles through our brain/CNS has been maximised, progress tends to slow. From that point onwards, the main thrust of our future progress will come predominantly from the increasing size of the muscle (increased contractile tissue/myofibrils).

This is why beginners often make rapid gains, then plateau. And why we can improve relatively quickly from our first attempts at a new kind of exercise that our brain/CNS has not been properly attuned to performing before.

My guess is that your pull-ups required a different level of coordination from your muscles to perform than your pull-downs, which explains your weakness at doing them initially, but also why your pull-downs did not significantly improve (as you were already attuned to performing them).
  #7   Add to Lucas88's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 7th, 2008, 04:38 PM

Lucas88 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Lucas88
Ditto what yobdior said!

I've been seeing a chiropractor once a month since a bike wreck some years ago whether I need to or not. The "maintenance" schedule keeps my back loose and helps handle the stress of sitting at a desk too many hours a day. He picks up on things I don't even realize are causing me a problem yet...until he pops a "button" in my back or neck and I actually feel something release.

And thanks for spelling out the acronym!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options