The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to wolfotehmoon's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 10th, 2008, 03:29 PM

wolfotehmoon is on a distinguished road
Are squats really that important?

...Cuz if so, I'm fucked. Long story short, like many esteemed schools in this country, sports success(namely football, and the money that comes with it) comes first. Hence, all squat racks have been relocated to the "athletes only" gym which just oh-so-ironically happens to be in the basement of my dorm building :/ So, on to the run-down "general student" gym(open 5-9 because of classes and whatnot) for my "Squats but limited to whatever I can clean and then get on to my back" workout. *sigh* Today was my first try in a while(not just a month, but since the start of summer when I strained my MCL), and... it didn't go well. I have the wrist pain to prove it. So, in the interests of my poor wrist and knee, I ask you, are squats REALLY that necessary for growth? If they are, should I resign myself to getting a real gym membership and icing my knee every night? Or are there alternatives? I keep hearing "Squat for hyooge muskles", and I don't want to limit myself to, oh, a dozen or so pounds a year if I can get more by sucking it up and squatting.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 10th, 2008, 04:02 PM

Thanked 1,306 Times in 371 Posts
arpeejay will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to arpeejay
There are squat alternatives, assuming they're available, e.g.:

* hack squat

* leg press (several different varieties)

* leg extensions (quads)

* leg curls (hams)

* lunges

And do they have a BOSU? Doing squats on the BOSU is hard work, you don't need much weight, if any.

Likewise, you can do deep squats just holding 45, 35 or 25 lb plates (the kind with grab holes are great!)

Ditto, sumo squat (stand on two steppers, hold the plate between your legs, go down all the way.)

Variety is a good thing, so take advantage of it!

Squat is a great "bang for the buck" exercise but it's not the only route.

Hope this helps!

Richard
  #3   Add to inflated's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 10th, 2008, 05:20 PM

inflated is on a distinguished road
You are losing a really great overall body exercise by not squatting. Squats are a testosterone booster and are as important for big arms as they are for legs. Find a gym with squat racks or use the smith machine for squats.
  #4   Add to Gene's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 10th, 2008, 06:19 PM

Gene is on a distinguished road
Depends on what you want out of your bodybuilding. Squats are a good overall full body exercise. Tough work doing a squat right, everything has to work in unison. That's what's good about it. It develops coordination and balanced muscle growth all over. It's brain training as well as muscle training.

But if you have a physical problem especially with your knees or back you should approach squats carefully. Go light enough that you can do them very correctly and don't get sloppy at all! Don't go deep (beyond 90 degrees) with your knees. Don't bounce at the bottom. My believe is as with all safe exercises is to "go up slow", "go down even slower". Keep the weights under control at all times. Being sloppy means you lost control.

But if you can't do squats for some reason, the world won't come to an end.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options