The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to wolfotehmoon's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 12th, 2008, 03:52 PM

wolfotehmoon is on a distinguished road
Olympic Lifts?

NEWTHREADSPREE. I'm truly sorry, I just can't help myself :P Anyway, I've been hearing how AWESOME and MAGICAL olympic lifts are for strength, explosiveness, and beefing up your joints. And, to be quite honest... All of those sound good :P So does anyone have any links to some videos showing good form? And if anyone can DESCRIBE the form, that'd be a big plus.

PS Is it bad Evo Forum etiquette to contact someone when they haven't made a post in the chat forum? Like, if their contact info is in their profile or something.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to wrestlejock646's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 12th, 2008, 06:59 PM

wrestlejock646 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to wrestlejock646
Hey man, one of the best resources for learning the olympic lifts is the National Strength & Conditioning Association (NSCA). The United States Weightlifting Federation (USWF) is another resource. I know that members of the NSCA can purchase videos that are very instructive. You might also contact a strength and conditioning coach at a local college or university and ask for help. If those aren't options for you, I just did a quick search on Youtube and found this under the search: "power cleans." Try searching "snatch," "hang clean," "hang pull" or let me know and I'll try to help you. I used to have several videos from NSCA and USWF but they've been lost along the way somewhere. Hope this helps. I'm a big believer in the olympic lifts for any athlete trying to develop explosive strength.
  #3   Add to wrestlejock646's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 12th, 2008, 07:14 PM

wrestlejock646 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to wrestlejock646
Oops, here's the links I found real fast, hope they help a little. Complicated lifts with a lot of technique, so finding a good coach is definitely the best way to go, in my opinion. Don't expect to master them quickly--but they're the best bridge between strength in the weightroom and explosiveness on the field without a doubt.
  #4   Add to AS2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 14th, 2008, 02:19 PM

AS2000 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to AS2000
This may not be such a good resource for olympic lifts, by as a general rule, bodybuilding.com has a very good exercise guide, I've found, with photos and short videos of each move. I think it's a good resource, and have recommended it to some friends.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm
  #5   Add to inflated's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 15th, 2008, 06:24 AM

inflated is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AS2000 View Post
This may not be such a good resource for olympic lifts, by as a general rule, bodybuilding.com has a very good exercise guide, I've found, with photos and short videos of each move. I think it's a good resource, and have recommended it to some friends.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm

I am very impressed with this site, and quite often they have the best prices on supplements as well.
  #6   Add to wolfotehmoon's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 15th, 2008, 06:30 PM

Just a little update: went to the gym today. Pretty much all of my lifts fell because I didn't eat enough this weekend(combination of being broke and wonky weekend cafeteria schedule). But I tried to work on my form for power cleans(I want to do classic at some point, but eh...), and though I got it to the point where I wasn't f***ing up my wrist every time I went up, I didn't raise it like I thought I would. Doing my last few, I was really discouraged because I just couldn't clean it. I was getting it up to my chest, but I couldn't get it high enough to flip it over... And then, I realized, I was basically doing a deadlift with some extra tacked on, with MUCH better form than before! So, I loaded up the bar, and tried some, and ended out my workout with a max lift of 20 pounds more than last week So, some good came of it.
  #7   Add to PROZAC's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 24th, 2008, 07:13 AM

PROZAC is on a distinguished road
hey!
maybe i can give u a hint... for ME this worked well for muscle grow. let me explain on the example bicep curl. try to make the upward movement explosive then contract, and go down a bit slower. to this sample u train every exercise. well... it worked for me. have fun!
greetz!
PROZAC
  #8   Add to suma's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 24th, 2008, 07:41 PM

suma is on a distinguished road
Yes the olympic lifts are EXCELLENT for all sorts of cross-over benefits , not just for those competing in the sport.
Tough part is that they take years of training and practice to master, plus not many clubs around, nor trainers, unless you are near a big university with good sports program.
  #9   Add to wolfotehmoon's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 24th, 2008, 08:16 PM

I'm at Howard in DC, so the program is fairly big, but it's pretty much all put to the athletes themselves, and the rest of us are relegated to the clunky second hand gym that's manned by two chicks who're just there to check IDs. :/ We don't even have a squat rack, but since I'll barely have enough money for food(even if I get a part time job) outside of my meal plan, I'm kinda stuck. Actually had an awesome workout Monday, until I fucked up the form on a high pull and strained my ankle. So, I'm out until about next Monday.

Suma, you're in the area, right? Man... I'm too shy to even ask, though x3

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options