The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to hoosierlifter's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 28th, 2008, 10:39 AM

hoosierlifter is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to hoosierlifter
Dumbell vs Barbell for benchpress

So, I have a bad case of tendinitis in my right elbow and barbells make it worse. So I switched off to dumbells and have little or no pain even with 100# dumbells on incline. A friend told me that his sister is a physical therapist and she said you can't get the "look" (big defined pecs) from dumbells only from barbells. While dumbells give you better overall strength in your chest. Any thoughts? I hate to think that I can't shape my chest without barbell bench since it hurts so bad to do it.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to bigdog63's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 28th, 2008, 10:48 AM

bigdog63 is on a distinguished road
i think that is true about the dumbells But your a beast with 100s on incline how much did you bench with a barbell
  #3   Add to 1bigwoof's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 28th, 2008, 10:59 AM
MASS Matters

1bigwoof is on a distinguished road
I don't agree that barbells are essential to building great pecs. Your muscles have no idea whether you're using dumbbells, barbells, or machines for that matter. Although I do think that free weights lend themselves to better growth, I think that the form, intensity, and weight used matter far more. Proper food and rest certainly come into play as well.
  #4   Add to hoosierlifter's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 28th, 2008, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I feel like I'm making some growth progress with the dumbells. I've been switching up using heavy weights and low reps one day and light weights and high reps another working my chest 2x a week. Bigdog63, I think my max on incline barbell was around 185# before the tendinitis sidetracked me.
  #5   Add to hoosierlifter's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 28th, 2008, 12:13 PM

Just a side note bigdog63.. when I did the 100# for the first time, the friend who was spotting me called me the hulk.. haha
  #6   Add to nj.'s Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 28th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Still going strong

nj. has disabled reputation
Because I only bug people when they're on a machine or bench I need (I ask them if I can use it in their breaks between sets), I usually have no spotter at the gym.

So, I usually end up going for the dumbbells because they're easier to drop to your sides should you not be able to push the weight into safety. With a barbell without a spotter you can't reach your max cos that's simply too dangerous.

And I must say that I've probably gained more chest muscle from the dumbbells, but it could also just be because my benchpress technique could be improved a bit. In any case, I don't think you'd have to fear for any mass loss, as long as you really feel you're targeting your chest with the exercise. And that's exactly for the reason 1bigwoof gave. Your muscles don't care what you use, as long as you involve them properly.
  #7   Add to hoosierlifter's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 28th, 2008, 01:29 PM

I think you're right nj. I set the bench on about 10 degrees and it targets my upper chest more. Any more than that and I feel it more in my shoulders than I do my chest.
  #8   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 29th, 2008, 05:04 PM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
What about cables?

Hoosierlifter,
Have you considered using cables on a flat bench? Cables have the benefit of exerting continuous tension on your pecs, and you can get a real "worked feeling," particularly in your inner and outer pecs.

Most gyms have this big piece of apparatus with pulleys on either end and a pull up bar welded to the top frame. The apparatus I'm talking about typically is a like a giant frame in the gym, with a pull up bar welded to the center portion, and weight stacks on pulleys on either side. I don't know the "official" name.

You should set the bench inside the apparatus so that you are in between both sets of cables. You lie down on the bench and cross your arms so that your hands are on the opposite side of your body --that is, left hand by your right hip, right hand by your left hip.

With a cable handle firmly in each hand, you should try to bring your arms back across your body (as if you were moving your arms back to their originating side) in a steady pull. When you get to the point where the pulleys are out from your body and your right hand is on your right side and your left hand is on your left side, you will really feel the tension in your pecs. Return to the starting position and begin again. Your pecs will feel fried! You might need help by having someone hand you the pulley handles after you lie down onthe bench, but you really get a "worked" feeling in your pecs!

Trust me, as a long time "shoulder presser", this is one of the exercises where I really "feel it" in my pecs.

I also find Dumbbells better for flat benching and "feeling it".

Mdlftr
  #9   Add to hoosierlifter's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 29th, 2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlftr View Post
Hoosierlifter,
Have you considered using cables on a flat bench? Cables have the benefit of exerting continuous tension on your pecs, and you can get a real "worked feeling," particularly in your inner and outer pecs.

Most gyms have this big piece of apparatus with pulleys on either end and a pull up bar welded to the top frame. The apparatus I'm talking about typically is a like a giant frame in the gym, with a pull up bar welded to the center portion, and weight stacks on pulleys on either side. I don't know the "official" name.

You should set the bench inside the apparatus so that you are in between both sets of cables. You lie down on the bench and cross your arms so that your hands are on the opposite side of your body --that is, left hand by your right hip, right hand by your left hip.

With a cable handle firmly in each hand, you should try to bring your arms back across your body (as if you were moving your arms back to their originating side) in a steady pull. When you get to the point where the pulleys are out from your body and your right hand is on your right side and your left hand is on your left side, you will really feel the tension in your pecs. Return to the starting position and begin again. Your pecs will feel fried! You might need help by having someone hand you the pulley handles after you lie down onthe bench, but you really get a "worked" feeling in your pecs!

Trust me, as a long time "shoulder presser", this is one of the exercises where I really "feel it" in my pecs.

I also find Dumbbells better for flat benching and "feeling it".

Mdlftr
That's a cable crossover machine. I have never tried that exercise although I do use it for "butterflys" since our gym doesn't have a special machine for that.
  #10   Add to nj.'s Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 9th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Still going strong

Mdlftr: Wait... starting in crossed position and pulling your arms back out is a back exercise, right?

Normally using cables for the chest is much like a dumbbell fly-- you stand with your arms spread wide next to you with your wrists at shoulder height, holding your arms slightly bent (for instance at a 145? angle), and then you bring your hands together in front of your chest, maintaining the angle throughout the motion.
  #11   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 9th, 2008, 11:15 AM

Thanked 1,306 Times in 371 Posts
arpeejay will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to arpeejay
All of which reminds me to plug my (somewhat incoherent) workout blog:

http://blog.myspace.com/arpeejay

It's one redeeming feature is that Josh come up with LOTS of different exercises for every body part. Check it out sometime!

xoxo

Richard
  #12   Add to Hulk2be's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 9th, 2008, 06:37 PM

Hulk2be is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Hulk2be Send a message via MSN to Hulk2be Send a message via Yahoo to Hulk2be
I made the switch from barbells to dumbbells, and think its one of the wisest things I did. Using a bar, my arms/hands were always locked in position relative to one another, and I often felt that my efforts were hitting muscles other than the one I was trying to work. But with the dumbbells, I can tweak each arm individually as needed to hit the muscle. And I do also agree with the safety standpoint of if you have to drop a pair of dumbbells, you can drop them off to the side of you.

On an entirely different subject, the question of machines or free weights seems to reappear here from time to time. My own experience has been that both have their advantages. With the machines locking me into position, I seem to get a better pump and better definition with the choosen muscle. With the free weights, I seem to be able to go for strength, as well as building the tie-in and stabilizer muscles. What I've been doing, is I work each body part twice a week, and one days its machines, and one day its free weights.
  #13   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 10th, 2008, 08:24 PM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
No, this IS a chest exercise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj. View Post
Mdlftr: Wait... starting in crossed position and pulling your arms back out is a back exercise, right?

Normally using cables for the chest is much like a dumbbell fly-- you stand with your arms spread wide next to you with your wrists at shoulder height, holding your arms slightly bent (for instance at a 145? angle), and then you bring your hands together in front of your chest, maintaining the angle throughout the motion.

NJ,
You perform this exercise lying on your back on a bench, which is placed inbetween the upright ends of the cable crossover machine. You start with your arms crossed over your chest, and you (Intensely) work your upper and inner chest as you pull your arms back to their original side.

I think this is hard to picture unless you lie down and cross your arms over your belly button, with your hands down by the opposite hip. Use your chest and upper arms to draw your arms back across your body until your arms end up parallel to your sides. Using cables, the tension is continuous, and your pecs really feel it!

Mdlftr
  #14   Add to Lucas88's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 11th, 2008, 07:08 AM

Lucas88 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Lucas88
Quote:
NJ,
You perform this exercise lying on your back on a bench, which is placed inbetween the upright ends of the cable crossover machine. You start with your arms crossed over your chest, and you (Intensely) work your upper and inner chest as you pull your arms back to their original side.

I think this is hard to picture unless you lie down and cross your arms over your belly button, with your hands down by the opposite hip. Use your chest and upper arms to draw your arms back across your body until your arms end up parallel to your sides. Using cables, the tension is continuous, and your pecs really feel it!

Mdlftr
Sounds like this focuses on the negative movement a lot...NOT letting the weights crash.
  #15   Add to Wild's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 12th, 2008, 03:21 AM

Wild is on a distinguished road
When I go to the gym, it's usually by myself. So I tend to use the Dumbells instead of the barbells. While I get a general better feeling from using the Barbells, the Dumbells... aren't no slouch either. And this way, I know that one arm isn't compensating for the other arm.
  #16   Add to nj.'s Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 14th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Still going strong

Quote:
NJ,

Mdlftr
Oh, I'm quite sure your pecs will feel it, but probably as a secondary muscle for the negative part of the rep (and the resistance from the cable throughout the motion), because as you describe it, the deltoid and upper back will do the main pulling.

That is not to say it can't be effective for the chest, though. Heavy negatives can make you grow pretty well! I just wouldn't have thought of it if I were to invent a chest exercise (and I'm pretty creative with these things, hehe).
  #17   Add to hyooge's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 15th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Do more deadlifts

hyooge is on a distinguished road
I think that dumbells are superior to barbells in every situation. They allow you to move more naturally and activate more muscle fibers.

If you're training to be a powerlifter, or you're crazy strong from using gear, then it's possible to hit a wall where dumbells become too heavy to get into position.

But for a normal to relative strong guy going for muscle size and growth - and not necessarily maximum strength - you can go a long way with a DB routine. If you find that the weights are getting hard to move into position, then try increasing the intensity by lifting more slowly or adding on more sets.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options