Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Off-Topic > Main Off-Topic Board
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to firebird06's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 18th, 2009, 07:14 PM

firebird06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to firebird06 Send a message via MSN to firebird06 Send a message via Yahoo to firebird06
Trekkies Unite!

I know I can't possibly be the only geek here, so, I'm sharing some information on new Trek DVDs, and, for the first time, Star trek Blu-Rays!

First up the DVDs, they're pretty simple and straight forward, first up is the Star trek Movie Trilogy. For all intents and purposes I'm dubbing it the "Genesis" Trilogy as it has Star Trek II-IV in a box set in slim casings. For the most part, special features are all new. Priced at US $28.99. Out May 12th

There's also two "Best Of" packs, featuring episodes from both Original Series and The Next Generation. They feature four episodes a piece and are presented with 5.1 Surround and Mono Sound. Original Series episodes are of the new remastered editions and feature The City On The Edge of Forever, The Trouble With Tribbles, Balance of Terror, and Amok Time. The TNG episodes are: Best of Both Worlds Parts 1 & 2, Yesterday's Enterprise, and Measure of a Man. These are being marketed as Trek Starter Packs. Priced at US $14.99 each. Out May 12th.

Otherwise Star Trek is now all about Blu-Ray (they even discontinued all movie DVDs for these new sets!). And first up we will see the first season of the original series on a 7 disc set with 1080p picture, 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio and Mono with the ability to flip between remastered and original episode versions. Priced at US $118.00/ $136.00 Canadian. Out April 28th

Star Trek Original Motion Picture Collection. Movies I-VI in 1080p with new special features, BD-Java Games, BD-Live features, 7.1 Dolby TruHD sound plus a bonus disc featuring William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, Patrick Stewart, Jonathan Frakes, and Whoopi Goldberg in a roundtable discussion about what went on on the set of the shows and movies. Priced at US $104.00. Out May 12th.

Finally, the set I started this with, the Genesis Collection, is also coming to Blu-Ray. they are essentialy the same discs that are in the Original Movie Collection. Priced at US $48.99. Out May 12th

Anyone as excited as me?
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to TheMM's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 18th, 2009, 07:19 PM
"This is no trick!"

TheMM is on a distinguished road
Now I am! I won't waste my money on the Blu-rays until I actually have a player. I'm certainly buying the Genesis Trilogy and those "Best of" sets as well.

"Put your controller on the floor...Put it down as flat as you can...That's good. Now I will move your controller by the power of my will alone!"
  #3   Add to Mad Dog's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 18th, 2009, 08:20 PM

Mad Dog is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Mad Dog Send a message via MSN to Mad Dog Send a message via Yahoo to Mad Dog
I like Star Trek and would buy a few of the movies on Blu-Ray, but I've always found the series to be far too staged and conservative in its production. Even a really great series like DS9 had moments where it could've just as easily been a play at a dinner theater. I prefer some of the more wild ideas and unconventional production methods of shows like Farscape and the reimagined Battlestar Galactica.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options