The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Muscle & Mind
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Yesterday at 11:53 PM

Notices

Muscle & Mind Motivation, Inspiration and The Mind. What drives you?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to sockins33's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 20th, 2009, 06:09 PM

sockins33 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sockins33 Send a message via Yahoo to sockins33
self confidence problems

I'm a skinny guy 21yo 136lbs 5'10 and i really wanna grow but my lack of self confidence is keeping me from going to the gym. any advice is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to inflated's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 20th, 2009, 06:15 PM

inflated is on a distinguished road
You have no reason to feel ashamed, the very fact that you are in the gym working out is a good thing. Get some help from a trainer or a friend who knows alot about lifting for size. Have them put together a diet for you and a training program. The big three --squats, deadlifts and bench press are the best for overall growth make these the foundation of your program. Use good form, and the strength gains will come, start light get the form down and consistently increase the weight. In less than 3 months you should have nothing to be self conscious about. Good luck to you.
  #3   Add to sockins33's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 20th, 2009, 06:20 PM

Thank you very much Inflated. I'll defintiely try that, wish me luck and thanks again.
  #4   Add to WhoDunIt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 21st, 2009, 08:44 PM

WhoDunIt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to WhoDunIt
Quote:
Originally Posted by inflated View Post
You have no reason to feel ashamed, the very fact that you are in the gym working out is a good thing. Get some help from a trainer or a friend who knows alot about lifting for size. Have them put together a diet for you and a training program. The big three --squats, deadlifts and bench press are the best for overall growth make these the foundation of your program. Use good form, and the strength gains will come, start light get the form down and consistently increase the weight. In less than 3 months you should have nothing to be self conscious about. Good luck to you.
Yup, Inflated is right and always remember that you're doing this for YOU and nobody else if somebody decides to hassle you based on your size!
  #5   Add to BigSteve6ft3's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 22nd, 2009, 10:31 PM

BigSteve6ft3 is on a distinguished road
I agree. Inflated has it right. A few other things to keep in mind if you find your confidence flagging:

- Everybody's got to start someplace. No matter what it is you're trying, whether it's skiing or swimming or playing chess or bodybuilding, you're going to start out as a beginner. Being a beginner is nothing to be ashamed of.

- You're not in high school anymore. Chances are, in a real gym in the real world, nobody's going to tease or bully you (or pay you much attention at all, for that matter), no matter how skinny you are. That's kid stuff. Adults generally don't do that. If a some huge scary-looking guy does approach you, it will probably be to offer you some friendly advice and encouragement, and welcome you to the muscle-building club (He probably started out as a skinny, self-conscious guy himself).

- It would be best if you can get over this self-consciousness hurdle and get yourself into a gym. But if you find you just can't make that first step, buy yourself some weights to get yourself started, buy a beginner's book on bodybuilding to learn the basics, and work out at home for a while, until you feel confident enough to take the plunge.

Best of luck. And keep us posted on your progress. I bet you'll experience huge improvements as you get into it. Beginners usually do. Take pics now and along the way, so you can look back later and be amazed at how far you've come (and share with us here. No need to embarrass yourself with your 'before' pics now ... wait until you have an 'after' to show us).

Go for it!
  #6   Add to sockins33's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 23rd, 2009, 11:28 AM

Thanks so much for all the encouragement guys. I really appreciate it and I will definitely keep you posted.
  #7   Add to smithshn's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 12th, 2010, 06:29 AM

smithshn is on a distinguished road
Its all depend on you. Never think about the people. Just doing your work with full of the concentration. You have to do for your development and your careers.
  #8   Add to Nick Brooks Fit's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 23rd, 2010, 09:59 PM

Nick Brooks Fit is on a distinguished road
Start at home by doing some push ups and sit ups. Then once you have done that for a few months you should really think about going to your local gym. It's really not as bad as you might think it is. There are many others in your situation you just half to believe and don't let anyone try to tell you different.
  #9   Add to Syphon's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 31st, 2010, 12:09 AM
Lolhi

Syphon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Syphon
When I started going to the gym a year ago I was 112lbs at 5'10, now I'm 133. I got over the gym shyness within a couple weeks. Nobody there is going to care what you look like or what you're doing. They're too busy doing their own thing.
  #10   Add to sockins33's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 31st, 2010, 02:26 PM

Thanks for all your encouraging words guys, I did join a gym and i've made a good amount of progress. Everyone was right about the guys there not caring what I'm doing, they are just there for the same reason as me to get a good workout. Thanks again guys
  #11   Add to BIGJOEY's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 13th, 2010, 05:39 AM

BIGJOEY is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BIGJOEY
Hey Bro listen every guy in the gym had to start somewhere . Either they were skinny or overweight and all had the same fears as you. I would suggest to go with a friend to help you get past the initial fears and realize that lots of guys are in the same frame of mind as yourself. Guy get imintated by size of other guys. Some can be assholes there and you learn to ignore them others like myself will offer advice or help and encouragement. Self image haunts us all from the top level pro bodybuilder to the beginner it how you dealth with it and make it work for your advantage that counts. You may have to do a little research on your nutrition and exercises to do but it's a doeable thing. Approach it as any other problem you have dealth with and succeded . One thing anytime you think I can't you shoot yourself in the foot. Thats for anything in life. Hope this helps.
  #12   Add to Tronald's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 13th, 2010, 11:41 AM

Tronald is on a distinguished road
Here's how a guy, 5'10" and 135 can intimidate the guys at the gym: do 10 chinups.

If I'd known how intimidating that was, i'd hav joined a gym at 145lbs (and 6'). As it was, I did chins and dips at home for 2 years, machine work at home for 4 more and finally joined a gym at 175.

Now, at 195, I can't do more than 6 chins, and frankly, the biggest guys at the gym are never seen doing chinups at all.

We notice and judge each other a lot less than you'd think, and there's lots of ways that very different body types can respect each other. It isn't as harsh as those with self-confidence problems might imagine, but it isn't quite as non-judgemental as you'd want.

But at 135, you're perfect for mastering 3 sets of 10 reps of bodyweight exercises at home and then taking your show to the gym. Since you're young, lean, and untrained, progress at home should be fast.

Start every workout with 10 chins, and everyone, to the small, gentle, and supportive extent that they do notice, will be, in a good way, intimidated :-)
  #13   Add to Ender's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 17th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Muscle Nerd in Training

Ender is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Ender
That's why a typical Gymnast is about 5'4" to 5'6" and 125-145 lb... if they were bigger they would be able to "throw themselves across the room," the way they need to in the sport.
  #14   Add to rogerfeders's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 13th, 2010, 04:40 AM

rogerfeders is on a distinguished road
Their audience, their peers, their employers, their customers and their friends: self confidence in others. And other important ways to win the trust of a self-confident person is one succeed.

The good news is that much confidence and learned to be built on. And that you are working on their confidence or are people around you with confidence, well worth - is try!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options