Notices

General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to helliot's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 3rd, 2009, 07:30 AM

helliot is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to helliot
Multi-part stories

I've only posted a couple of chapters out of dozens of stories I'm working on, but I'd like to know how people read multi-part stories. I personally like to post stories in multiple parts. As a writer, I can get feedback before I'm finished. As a presenter, I like to build anticipation. But prior chapters are (often) more than character development and exposition. They can be part of the erotic build-up. So when I read a new chapter in a multi-part story, I always go back and at least skim (if not fully read) earlier chapters--to get in the mood, if not remind myself of the details. Do others do this? I'm worried that my own stories will deliver less of a punch if people read the final chapters by themselves. Would I be better off waiting and posting the entire story at once?
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to nj.'s Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 3rd, 2009, 09:20 AM
Still going strong

nj. has disabled reputation
I prefer them being posted in parts for several reasons
1) If I want to read a novel, I prefer a hard-copy and a bookmark. A thread gets lost, and I do too.
2) Bite sized chunks are ideal in breaks between obligations
3) It keeps people returning to your story, cos the author still seems to be involved with the story
4) I could make up more reasons, but they'd be even worse than 3.
  #3   Add to xythan_shadow's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 3rd, 2009, 09:58 AM
Writer and Lifter

xythan_shadow is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to xythan_shadow Send a message via Yahoo to xythan_shadow
I only tend to post stories in one shot if it's pretty short. I've tried several ways and it seems like posting it in smaller chunks not only makes it easier to read, but also keeps the reader's attention more often than not because they're chomping at the bit for the next part.
  #4   Add to helliot's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 9th, 2009, 10:22 PM

Thanks for the feedback.
  #5   Add to Gene's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 10th, 2009, 01:05 PM

Gene is on a distinguished road
Any more the 3 or 4 parts the stories tend to get burned out.

A good writer can make a story line last only so long before major changes have to be introduced and that tends to take away from what was attractive in the first place.

Not saying that it can't be done but how many movie sequels have you seen that were still good after the 2nd one?

Nope, if you start getting into these 20 chapter stories you have to spread out the plot line so much that you loose readers. Or if you put twenty identical chapters in then your readers get jaded.

Short stories (which is what most of these MG stories are, should be short. Preferably designed to come to a climax when your reader does.
  #6   Add to helliot's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 10th, 2009, 10:50 PM

I think I mostly agree with you, Gene. Most of my stories tend to be 2-3 parts and those are usually my favorite. There are a few exceptions which are just masterpieces at a good length ("Want Me"). Some are good throughout though I tend to favor a few chapters from the beginning or the middle and those are the only sections I tend to re-read (often because, as you say, I climax before the story does )
  #7   Add to Username3's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 11th, 2009, 11:46 PM

Username3 is on a distinguished road
Sometimes, the author is kind enough to link to all the other parts of the story.

Most of the time, I'm finding myself clicking their profile and searching for every topic that person made.
  #8   Add to helliot's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 17th, 2009, 07:23 AM

I think linking to the story parts is important, too. As I mentioned, I really expect my readers to refresh their memories on prior story parts, and I want to make that as easy as possible. And if a new reader stumbles upon part 5 of a story, he should be able to start at the beginning very easily.
  #9   Add to Xyggurat's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 17th, 2009, 07:26 AM

Xyggurat will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by helliot View Post
I think linking to the story parts is important, too. As I mentioned, I really expect my readers to refresh their memories on prior story parts, and I want to make that as easy as possible. And if a new reader stumbles upon part 5 of a story, he should be able to start at the beginning very easily.
I appreciate linking between chapters a ton; saves you the time of searching and the like. Really, though, there's a place for great one-offs and there's a place for epics (even in MGS.) As you get longer and longer, readership declines, of course (primarily because people get daunted by seeing any chapter numbers above 3 or 4 when they're in the mood, it seems) but I don't see why people shouldn't be trying to express their inner muse while they're writing MGS.

-X-

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options