The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Watch Me Grow
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Watch Me Grow Discuss your own personal muscle goals and document your bodybuilding progress, including gains in size and strength and also get encouragement from others.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to Buffling's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 1st, 2004, 06:14 AM
Evolving Jock

Buffling is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Buffling
Buffling's progress shots

One thing that I need to get better at is documenting my development, and seeing as so many of you are so brave about doing it here, I'll join rank. These are shots for November 1; I am currently trying to get my weight down a bit more -- a 34" waist would be awesome (36" right now) -- but I am keeping up with regular medium-intensity weight training as well. I've been MUCH more conscious of protein intake over the past several weeks (aiming for a solid 30% of calories, and timing it with workouts), and it seems to be helping me move past the plateau I've been on. If I can keep it up until Xmas, I should have some great new pics to show!

Last edited by Buffling; November 1st, 2004 at 06:22 AM.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 1st, 2004, 06:41 AM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
OK, I've already complimented your chest & legs in the Spiedy costume. Now that I have better pics, you can add arms & shoulders to that list. Congrats again on your progress!
  #3   Add to Buffling's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 1st, 2004, 01:50 PM
Evolving Jock

Thanks Brent -- I needed that today. It's amazing how you can go from feeling so good about yourself one day to being at the gym the next day and becoming convinced that everyone is leaner, bigger, and stronger than you are. The human brain is an amazing thing...
  #4   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 1st, 2004, 01:50 PM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
buffling!

you're doing VERY well.i never would have guessed your waist at 36". little leaner&you'll be surprised at what you have!
  #5   Add to Buffling's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 5th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Evolving Jock

Long overdue update

It's been a very long time since I've posted any new pics -- I thought I'd be more regular. BUT we can all identify with not feeling like you're getting anywhere, even if the numbers show that you clearly are.

One of the main reasons why I haven't posted pics is because I compare them to my old ones and see almost no change. It's depressing. BUT I've brought my BF% down 5% (to 18%) since November of last year (with a slow but healthy weight loss of 15 pounds), and have a 33" waist in spite of some VERY stubborn flab... so obviously, SOMETHING is different.

I have never STOPPED working out... but progress has been slow. These days I am training on five-day split routines. and I'm really enjoying them. I find that I can really hammer my legs, back, and triceps, but I have trouble with my shoulders (they seem to be lagging) and really have to work to get good overload on my biceps. In addition to the weight training, I do three days per week of cardio -- running is currently my favorite activity, with cycling coming in a very close second.

Here's a link to a page with measurements and pics... it's functional; not gorgeous
  #6   Add to omelissokomos's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 5th, 2005, 06:43 PM
The Bee Keeper

omelissokomos has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to omelissokomos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffling
it's functional; not gorgeous
The page may not be gorgeous, but you certainly qualify!

WOOF!

You've come a long way, baby. Halloween 2005, here we come!
  #7   Add to buffdoc's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 5th, 2005, 07:36 PM

buffdoc
Send a message via Yahoo to buffdoc
Looking good, keep training. It can be easy to loose perspective but you have made definite improvements.
  #8   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 5th, 2005, 08:56 PM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
Give Yourself Some Credit!!!

...You have a GREAT shape&major development!BE PROUD!!!
  #9   Add to hulkmuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 5th, 2005, 09:30 PM
OPA!

hulkmuscle
Send a message via Yahoo to hulkmuscle
I'll second that... keep up the good work! Your progress is inspirational to lotsa folks here I'm sure.

Let us know if you need any additional help with your work.
Just a piece of sky?

The Follies of Greg
  #10   Add to Buffling's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 6th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Evolving Jock

Thanks for the kind feedback, folks. It helped me push a little harder through the back workout tonight. Just gotta keep thinking long-term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omelissokomos
You've come a long way, baby. Halloween 2005, here we come!
I'm really torn on how this event is going to turn out this year. Thanks to some good news, I won't have a lot of money to spread around on fancy new hero-duds. I guess the green body paint is an option, but I dunno how they'll react to that at the office. The reaction might look something like this:
  #11   Add to Marco_ukmus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 7th, 2005, 01:08 AM
On route to freakdom

Marco_ukmus is on a distinguished road
Buffling... Just thought i'd chime in... Excellent work mate! Theres some major developments taking place.

Keep it up!

Marc

.:: Website:www.marcomus.com | Email: [email protected] ::.
.:: Pics & Movie clip Media | BB Progress Thread ::.
  #12   Add to omelissokomos's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 7th, 2005, 01:30 AM
The Bee Keeper

Quote:
I'm really torn on how this event is going to turn out this year. Thanks to some good news, I won't have a lot of money to spread around on fancy new hero-duds.
Well, you can do what I suggested last year. Just get a full body shave, buy a pair of green speedos, find a set of Spock ears and winged sandals, then add on a couple of well-placed eyebrow lines and you're good to go.

/I keed. I keed.
  #13   Add to Buffling's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 31st, 2005, 08:06 PM
Evolving Jock

End-of-October update

Time for another set of measurements, folks. I didn't do a full set of pics this time because I didn't want to depress myself, but I did take one for the benefit of those who like tight shirts (you know who you are). The inspiration was this year's Hallowe'en costume, which was a rented Superman outfit... I would have gotten pics of that but the costume was rather cheap'n'cheesy and it just didn't seem worth the trouble. Hopefully the teaser shot on the measurements page -- my new favorite workout shirt (which I wear UNDER a more loose shirt, 'cuz I'm not that brave on a daily basis) will serve as a meagre subsititute. This is my second year of superhero exploits on Hallowe'en and even though the response from people can be odd, I think I'm gonna keep doing it: as someone who peaked at 270lb of sedentary flab about eight years ago, and as someone who was always the fat geek who was picked last for everything, I get a huge kick out of parading around like a vain jock in spandex, and I make no apologies. If nothing else, it's a reward for a year's work, and a great way to bait compliments ("Holy shit -- that's all YOU") and gropes ("If you need help getting OUT of that outfit, give me a call") from both friends and strangers. Now, if somebody has a nice authentic-like Supes costume they'd like to lend me to use for pics, I promise I'll take good care of it But I digress.

Here are my new measurements: October 30, 2005 progress numbers

Basically, I've dropped by 1% BF in the past 50-ish days. I've been working on getting more lean, so I'm happy with this. I still have stubborn love handles and I *WILL* be rid of them, but for the most part the measurements that are decreasing are the ones where the flab has been stored, so I'm not complaining about not making any real muscle gains. I have loose skin around the midsection, which helps prove to me that things are coming along. I'm also starting to see veins in my forearms outside of the post-workout pump. This excites me to no end, for reasons only you folks will understand.

Again, I have to say that I still find this forum to be a great place to go for inspiration and support -- hulkmuscle, CanadianGordon, marco_ukmus, optimusx, omelissokomos, and everyone else who is documenting their progress is helping out more than themselves. I love following your progress and am challenged to keep up.

There are some other things that are Different that I'd like to make note of. First, I've learned to take compliments from friends better. I used to kinda shrug them off, but now I say thanks and talk about how I'm getting my results because I've been working DAMNED hard at this and I'm proud of my dedication. Second, I noticed a mental turning point about three weeks ago, when I realized I now have to convince myself NOT to work out (sometimes at 11PM or later, after a grueling day of work), instead of having to convince myself to do it. I think this means I've hit a point where the commitment fits with my lifestyle, and where I'm changing things up enough to keep it interesting. After almost two steady years of serious lifting, I'm really happy that I can say that. Third, while I still look at most of the other guys in my gym as Guys I'd Like To Look Like, I now also see those guys as peers, and I see that I don't look so different anymore. In short, I've stopped calling myself fat, which is a point I never thought I'd reach.

My progress is slow; it's measured in months, a half inch at a time... but my body and my health are always improving, I'm having a blast doing it, and the work is paying off in a meaningful way. Sure, I wish I could have Marc's body after a fantasy-made-real injection and two minutes of intense growth, but the slow and steady approach is also infinitely rewarding.

I'm aiming for another set of pics and measurements just before Xmas.

Happy Hallowe'en!
  #14   Add to UKBeefy's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 1st, 2005, 04:21 AM

UKBeefy is on a distinguished road
Very Impressive Buffling....good to see continued progress and what sounds like a good mental outlook. I know I felt the same about 18mth to 2 yrs ago when I felt much more like I belonged in a gym - had people asking me advice and felt I was able to talk to anyone who also was serious in the gym too.

There is always that awkward phase may be as u say the first 2 years where you are going to a gym and making alot of effort but you don't get show the obvious results. Hence friends/work colleagues/family do not necessarily respect or support what you are doing (the usual "do you go to the gym then?" type idiocy). Once u do look better physique-wise it is much easier to be confident about articulating what u are doing. It is funny but often there is a sudden tipping point eg a particular event eg a barbecue or a social event where maybe u wear a flattering T shirt and co-workers or friends notice a distinct change. As u say it takes a time to accept such sudden compliments or inquiries.

Also you might get the odd comment that just reflects different opinions among friends...After my last cycle when I had probably added about 16lbs or so in 2 months alot of people noticed. I had one or two saying "You're getting very muscly - I don't think it's sensible to be so obsessed about the way you look/it does not suit u" etc. I just never really replied to that or said well we each do our own thing..
  #15   Add to wrestlejock646's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 1st, 2005, 06:05 AM

wrestlejock646 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to wrestlejock646
Lookin great bro

Buffling--you look damn good in that tight red shirt---nothing to be shy about or reluctant to accept a compliment seeing the progress you've made. Keep it up man---another two months til Christmas and I'm sure your motivation will carry you forward with your progress. All the best man!
  #16   Add to omelissokomos's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 1st, 2005, 05:51 PM
The Bee Keeper

Quote:
In short, I've stopped calling myself fat, which is a point I never thought I'd reach.
Congratulations on this major breakthrough, Buffling. It's true that we can be our own worst critics especially when it comes to one's self-image, and acknowledging this is just wonderful and inspirational for guys here like myself.

Take it from me, you're phat.
  #17   Add to jdhdawg's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 1st, 2005, 09:39 PM

jdhdawg is on a distinguished road
Progress

Buffling,

Congratulations on your steady progress to this point. I have to agree with wrestlejock that the red shirt looks mahvelous. Keep up the good work and please keep us posted with your continued gains.
  #18   Add to claygrant's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 1st, 2005, 10:29 PM

claygrant is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to claygrant
Hey buffling, you're making really great progress - both physically and mentally!

I like the progress reports you setup with a table format of all your measurements and changes. You inspire me to stay focused. It's so easy to get unmotivated sometimes.

Keep it up!
  #19   Add to hulkmuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 2nd, 2005, 08:24 AM
OPA!

hulkmuscle
Send a message via Yahoo to hulkmuscle
The red Under Armour's very flattering on you; makes ya look like a superhero. Keep up the good work!
Just a piece of sky?

The Follies of Greg
  #20   Add to ottomun6's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 2nd, 2005, 05:47 PM

ottomun6
Send a message via Yahoo to ottomun6
I think what some of the guys might be saying is that you in the red shirt combined with the X-mas holiday coming up will turn you into....
Super Santa!! --Look up in the sky!!, it's a bicep!, its a set of pecs!--able to flex in a single (muscle)bound!!
  #21   Add to Buffling's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 2nd, 2005, 09:05 PM
Evolving Jock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomun6
Iyou in the red shirt combined with the X-mas holiday coming up will turn you into....
Super Santa!!
*koff* That's hilarious! Yeh, SuperSanta busts down doors and hands out barbells and protein shakes to all the kiddies!

Thanks to all of you for your kind feedback. It makes a boy feel good. Tonight after my back workout at the gym I did an easy recovery run, and I nursed my inner exhibitionist by stripping off the loose shirt over the red UA shirt. It's a helluva way to attract attention. The guy at the front desk (who I wouldn't kick out of bed for eating crackers) winked and said I was brave tonight, and I responded that since I've dropped 1%BF I deserved a show-off night. He said I looked great and that I deserved a chance to show off a bit. I think I blushed to match the shirt.... but then again, I pay those guys handsomely to say nice things to me.

Onward and upwards!
  #22   Add to Buffling's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 5th, 2005, 05:05 AM
Evolving Jock

Dunno where else to put this

I'm not sure where else to post this, so here will do....

I was taking part in a spinning class fundraiser thing last night, and had never been to that particular facility before. I'll likely be back. In any case, the owner had a mantra that she had painted on the wall, and I love it, so I wanted to share it with all of you:

Commit to the process
Commit to oneself
Commit to the commitment
That is the Point
Get it - got it - Good.

#23   Add to Buffling's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 9th, 2005, 07:22 AM
Evolving Jock

New blog

FYI... I'm following in some other folks' shoes and have created a blog just for workout-related info. I'll still post semi-regular updates here, but for detailed info on routines, miscellaneous ramblings, and more, check out The Buffling Evolutions.
  #24   Add to Buffling's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 22nd, 2005, 08:47 AM
Evolving Jock

Results of my newly-finished weight training cycle are now posted on my blog, along with measurements showing changes since the end of October. There are not huge changes, as you may imagine, but there are positive changes. No new pics until xmas-time, though, because otherwise I'll get depressed
  #25   Add to Buffling's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 23rd, 2005, 09:43 AM
Evolving Jock

Merry Christmas to meeee

Hey all,

I don't think there's a huge amount of progress since September (or even the end of October, for that matter) but there is a full set of measurements and a full complement of progress pics on my latest workout blog post if you'd like to check them out.

I'm off at school in January; I will probably be taking a month off of weight training because I'll be in class 14 hours a day, six days a week. I'll be doing cardio when I can, and school will be very physical, so I won't be lazy. It'll just be a change. I may see if I can find a "weight-free" routine that I can do while I'm there (any suggestions), but basically I won't be lifting any weight until February. Maybe a break will do the body good.

Merry Christmas to y'all!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options