The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to HP1055's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 3rd, 2009, 09:29 PM

HP1055 is on a distinguished road
Red face New to training -- with questions

I'm new to the forum, and new to training. I'm 16 and joined a gym this summer. I started 5/23 and by 6/23 I had gained 12 lbs. (152-164), I'm 5'11. Every once in a while I have a few ready-to-drink mm's if I've had an off day.

I believe I'm an ectomorph. My goal was to gain 5 lbs, or maybe even 10 by the end of the summer, but I guess I gain easier than I thought. It's still very difficult, hardly possible for me to keep a pump after ... 10 minutes. I think I have low bf. I've been lifting heavy, eating... everything, and sleeping long.

I do have a few questions:

1) I'm past my acne stage, as far as I know I don't get it like I used to, but since I started working out I've noticed some on the backs of my shoulders and top of my chest. Is that normal? -- I was thinking it might be a testosterone thing, which, in that case, I'm not complaining!

2) I don't know what 12 lbs looks like, but I certainly don't see it. Maybe it's because I see myself everyday, others notice. I thought that maybe since I can't see it, it must be spread evenly. To me 12 lbs sounds like a lot, but being 5'11, maybe it's not?

3) I have to admit, I don't think I'm as lanky looking as I was before I started lifting, but below the knee and below the elbow I feel a little lost. What are some good workouts for calves and forearms?

4) I'm terrified of overtraining. However, I feel much better confidence-wise on the days I go to the gym. So I figured I should split my days up. Legs a couple times a week, chest and arms a couple times a week, shoulders and back, etc. Is this a good idea?

I hope I'm not being dumb about everything! I'm willing to learn, and very motivated. I'm tired of being the skinny kid, because I'm big inside.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to BigSteve6ft3's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 5th, 2009, 01:49 PM

BigSteve6ft3 is on a distinguished road
Sounds like you're off to an awesome start. 12 pounds in a month is great progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP1055 View Post
1) I'm past my acne stage, as far as I know I don't get it like I used to, but since I started working out I've noticed some on the backs of my shoulders and top of my chest. Is that normal? -- I was thinking it might be a testosterone thing, which, in that case, I'm not complaining!
Yeah, that's pretty normal. Even us older guys get that from time to time. I think it probably is a testosterone thing, because I usually get it when I'm working out particularly intensely and am feeling all pumped up. But it's also a sweat and bacteria thing. You tend to get it where your dirty, sweaty shirt rubs against your skin. So to avoid the acne, wear a clean shirt for every workout; don't re-use your scummy dirty one from yesterday. And shower immediately after your workout, soaping up the affected areas. Then put on a clean shirt.

Quote:
2) I don't know what 12 lbs looks like, but I certainly don't see it. Maybe it's because I see myself everyday, others notice. I thought that maybe since I can't see it, it must be spread evenly. To me 12 lbs sounds like a lot, but being 5'11, maybe it's not?
You're probably just not noticing because you see yourself every day. Another thing is that when you start working out, your muscles get pumped full of glycogen, which is a chemical your body uses for quick-release energy storage. This adds a fair amount of weight without adding a lot of size. So part of your weight gain is probably just your body's glycogen loading.

And another possibility: Are you sure you're still 5'11"? At your age, you're probably still growing. If you've grown an inch taller, that could make you ten pounds heavier without looking any thicker.

Quote:
3) I have to admit, I don't think I'm as lanky looking as I was before I started lifting, but below the knee and below the elbow I feel a little lost. What are some good workouts for calves and forearms?
Calve raises. It's basically just standing up on your toes then going back down. There's probably a machine in your gym for doing them. If not, you can do them at a squat rack with the weight on your shoulders. Use as heavy a weight as you can handle for 6-12 reps, and make sure to use a big range of motion, going all the way down, hyper-extending your heel a bit (i.e. go down so your heel is a bit lower relative to your toes than it usually is when just standing -- If you're using a squat rack, you can do this by standing with your toes on a board), then going up on your toes as high as you can and squeezing the calve muscles at the top.

For forearms, anything requiring grip helps -- deadlifts, pullups, curls, etc. work your grip as well the main muscles the exercise is intended for. You can train your grip specifically using spring-loaded hand grippers. Google "Captains of Crush" to see some good grippers you can order (and start with the lighter ones -- the Guide, or Sport, or Trainer models are probably right for you at your age. The higher ones are pretty brutal.)
Then there's wrist curls and reverse wrist curls: Sit at a preacher bench and raise the weight using just your wrists. It's just a little movement; the bar is only going to move a few inches. Do it both with your palms up and with your palms down.

Quote:
4) I'm terrified of overtraining. However, I feel much better confidence-wise on the days I go to the gym. So I figured I should split my days up. Legs a couple times a week, chest and arms a couple times a week, shoulders and back, etc. Is this a good idea?
Sounds like a good plan. At your age, all primed for growth and full of hormones, I wouldn't worry too much about over-training. Just listen to your body. Are you still really sore from your last workout for a body part when you train that body part again? So sore that you're weaker on those exercises than last time you tried them? If so, you're probably over-training. But if the soreness is mostly gone, and you're feeling strong in that body part again, go for it.

Good luck, kid. And keep us posted on your progress. You're off to a great start and it sounds like you're doing pretty much everything right.
  #3   Add to HP1055's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 5th, 2009, 07:43 PM

HP1055 is on a distinguished road
Hey! Thanks for your help, all of that makes perfect sense.

I'll have to try some of those grippers, I saw some today at Target but the CoC's are probably more effective.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options