You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to luvyalots's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 11th, 2009, 05:14 AM

luvyalots is on a distinguished road
Any sports fans?

Any sports fans out there? And I mean fans of ALL sports, not just the ones we always hear about.

Well, I'm putting together a weekly YouTube series called The Real Sports Report where I update on sports you don't usually hear about - at least in the US.

So if you're interested, check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/TheRealSportsReport
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to CelticMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 11th, 2009, 08:38 AM

CelticMuscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CelticMuscle Send a message via MSN to CelticMuscle Send a message via Yahoo to CelticMuscle
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvyalots View Post
Any sports fans out there? And I mean fans of ALL sports, not just the ones we always hear about.

Well, I'm putting together a weekly YouTube series called The Real Sports Report where I update on sports you don't usually hear about - at least in the US.

So if you're interested, check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/TheRealSportsReport
Could I contribute on those traditional Britsh sports of soccer, atheltics and events to which the Americans are not invited to such as the Commonwealth Games?
  #3   Add to BBMikeNJ's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 11th, 2009, 12:10 PM

BBMikeNJ is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to BBMikeNJ Send a message via Yahoo to BBMikeNJ
Love to see some rugby coverage.
  #4   Add to luvyalots's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 12th, 2009, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticMuscle View Post
Could I contribute on those traditional Britsh sports of soccer, atheltics and events to which the Americans are not invited to such as the Commonwealth Games?
Go ahead - whatever you want. I will most likely be updating on the World Athletics Championships starting this weekend in Berlin, among other things. And there are World Cup Soccer Qualifying matches this week as well.

As for rugby, that sport is becoming more popular in the US (and may possibly be in the Olympics soon, hopefully replacing baseball). I would definitely report on things like the Rugby World Cup - though I believe one just recently passed, if I'm not mistaken.
  #5   Add to CelticMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 12th, 2009, 06:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to CelticMuscle Send a message via MSN to CelticMuscle Send a message via Yahoo to CelticMuscle
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvyalots View Post
As for rugby, that sport is becoming more popular in the US (and may possibly be in the Olympics soon, hopefully replacing baseball). I would definitely report on things like the Rugby World Cup - though I believe one just recently passed, if I'm not mistaken.
Rugby will never replace baseball (because baseball was dropped from London 2012 and whoever wins the 2016 bid will bring baseball back) and besides rugby sevens is in the Commonwealth Games (due in Delhi next year) and the IOC has said in the past that non athletic sports (for example rugby) should not be in both the Olympics and Commonwealth Games.
  #6   Add to luvyalots's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 12th, 2009, 06:56 PM

Actually, the IOC is voting tomorrow (Thursday) on what sports to add if any to the 2016 Games. Golf, Rugby sevens - along with softball and baseball which were dropped following the 2008 Games - are considered the most likely additions. (Roller sports, karate and squash are also on the list but unlikely to make it).

I'm not aware of the whole Olympic Games vs. Commonwealth Games decision, but there are several sports that are on both programs. The IOC is more concerned, I think, with how global a sport is in order to be on the Olympic program. Golf and Rugby certainly qualify, while baseball and - to some extent, though unfairly in my opinion - softball don't.

If I were in charge, this is what I would do:

- bring back softball (the ISF is making great strides to globalized their sport, unlike baseball)
- replace Team Handball with Rugby. Handball is dominated by European teams (69 out of 76 medals awarded since 1972) and is showing no signs of globalizing. Perhaps, by cutting that sport, they'll try to spread the sport (much in the way softball has done).
- replace Rhythmic Gymnastics with Golf (individual sport with individual sport). RG has major judging issues and that sport should be put on probation, so to speak (then again, so is boxing, but that sport is expanding for 2012 with the addition of women's weight classes).

The bottom line is: no sport can fairly be cut and you can't blindly add sports to the program anymore because the Olympics are already too big. Cutting a sport or threatening to cut a sport should be done to force that sport's international federation to either revitalize itself (like Modern Pentathlon is doing) or work on spreading the sport's popularity around the world (like softball is doing).

Wow, I had no intention of making this a lecture....uh, carry on...
  #7   Add to CelticMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 13th, 2009, 05:27 AM

There are actually rules as to which sports can be included

To be added to the Summer Olympics, a sport or discipline must be widely practised by men in at least 75 countries on four continents and by women in at least 40 countries on three continents. (To be added to the Winter Olympics, it must be widely practised in at least 25 countries on three continents) with the added element of:

* practised by men in at least 50 countries on three continents
* practised by women in at least 35 countries on three continents.
* included at least twice in world or continental championships.

There's a little-noted rule that sports, disciplines, and events that depend essentially on mechanical propulsion are not acceptable in the Olympics. That excludes aerobatics, air racing, auto racing, powerboat racing, motorcycle racing, and snowmobiling.
  #8   Add to luvyalots's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 13th, 2009, 06:13 AM

Yeah, I heard about that rule, too (which is why women's ski jumping is having a hard time trying to get into the 2010 Winter Olympics - they've only had one world championships). That's what I was talking about when I mentioned globalization of a sport. Thanks.
  #9   Add to CelticMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 13th, 2009, 06:37 AM

Breaking News

IOC Committee recommends:
2012: Women's Boxing
2016: Golf, Rugby Sevens

Interesting Olympic Fact
The only golf medals were awarded in Paris in 1900. Gold went to Charles Sand (USA) with a score of -3, Silver to Walter Rutherford (GBR) -2 and Bronze to David Robertson (GBR) +5

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options