Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Yesterday at 11:53 PM

Notices

General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to CelticMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 11th, 2009, 08:40 AM

CelticMuscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CelticMuscle Send a message via MSN to CelticMuscle Send a message via Yahoo to CelticMuscle
Is this a real question or is someone trying to trick me?

When I signed up as an expert on bodybuilding on All Experts.com, I expected questions such as "Who had the bigger bicep? Arnie or Jay?" or "Who was the lightest person to win Mr. Olympia?". I did not expect this sort of question (and would like to know do you think it is real or someone playing around)?

"Hi. my name's Tom and I'm 27 from San Diego and after a lot of encouragement from my gym buddies, I've decided to enter the Washington Ironman in October. I'm well on the way to getting a ripped bod, but I have discovered something that is scaring me witless. Whilst starting on my posing routine, I was quite all right doing each pose for a few seconds, but then my trainer suggested that I practise holding each pose for a minute. When I did my first practise, I noticed that I was getting an erection. Now, I am straight and have a girlfriend and want to know is this normal or am I turning gay?"

How should I answer that question?
  #2   Add to F_R_Eaky's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 11th, 2009, 09:50 AM

F_R_Eaky is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to F_R_Eaky
You can answer him quite honestly. The erection has nothing to do with him being or turning gay, it has nothing to do with his sexuality at all, sort of.

Many gentlemen whenever they are working out or doing posing routines or the flex exercises for pumping up often achieve an erection and there are two possible reasons why:

1. We're messing with out body chemistry. While doing things like working out we are exerting our muscles calling for a push/surge of power to lift weight, usually weight we've not lifted or not used to lifting before. This will cause the body to release a lot of different chemicals into our systems: adrenaline (sorry if I misspell), small amounts of testosterone, causing a similar reaction as to when we're being sexually aroused. Same thing can be said for posing and pumping because we're forcing ourselves to add increased blood flow to the veins achieving the swollen effect. If we're trying to achieve this through our whole body, guess what also gets included in that procedure even if it's somethign we don't want. All of this can also be triggered by possible reason number...

2. It's a part of the whole psychological or animalistic part of the brain concerning the Alpha male. We are making ourselves stronger, bigger, tougher, badder and overtime may develop a stronger and stronger cocky attitude, why? Because we know we're big and bad. Not saying everyone actually develops an egotistical, mean personality when they build their muscles, it just an increase in confidence which can be not only an increase in confidence in knowing how strong we are, but attractive we are, how dominant we are can be or are becoming: we have the ability to be the king of the hill over other men. And this of course can cause a sexual response not because one is attracted to muscle bodies but because one feels like they can take the lead, protect their own, get the girl (or guy depending on one's sexuality) In short "It's good to be the king."

If he needs more proof, tell him to casually look around at other training in the gym, or even watch a few tapes of some bodybuilding competitions. He will notices that sometimes men do get an erection while working out, and some bodybuilders while in competition on stage will achieve anywhere from half to full woodies while doing their posing routine.

Hope that helps.
  #3   Add to CelticMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 11th, 2009, 11:29 AM

CelticMuscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CelticMuscle Send a message via MSN to CelticMuscle Send a message via Yahoo to CelticMuscle
Quote:
Originally Posted by F_R_Eaky View Post
You can answer him quite honestly. The erection has nothing to do with him being or turning gay, it has nothing to do with his sexuality at all, sort of.

Many gentlemen whenever they are working out or doing posing routines or the flex exercises for pumping up often achieve an erection and there are two possible reasons why:

1. We're messing with out body chemistry. While doing things like working out we are exerting our muscles calling for a push/surge of power to lift weight, usually weight we've not lifted or not used to lifting before. This will cause the body to release a lot of different chemicals into our systems: adrenaline (sorry if I misspell), small amounts of testosterone, causing a similar reaction as to when we're being sexually aroused. Same thing can be said for posing and pumping because we're forcing ourselves to add increased blood flow to the veins achieving the swollen effect. If we're trying to achieve this through our whole body, guess what also gets included in that procedure even if it's somethign we don't want. All of this can also be triggered by possible reason number...

2. It's a part of the whole psychological or animalistic part of the brain concerning the Alpha male. We are making ourselves stronger, bigger, tougher, badder and overtime may develop a stronger and stronger cocky attitude, why? Because we know we're big and bad. Not saying everyone actually develops an egotistical, mean personality when they build their muscles, it just an increase in confidence which can be not only an increase in confidence in knowing how strong we are, but attractive we are, how dominant we are can be or are becoming: we have the ability to be the king of the hill over other men. And this of course can cause a sexual response not because one is attracted to muscle bodies but because one feels like they can take the lead, protect their own, get the girl (or guy depending on one's sexuality) In short "It's good to be the king."

If he needs more proof, tell him to casually look around at other training in the gym, or even watch a few tapes of some bodybuilding competitions. He will notices that sometimes men do get an erection while working out, and some bodybuilders while in competition on stage will achieve anywhere from half to full woodies while doing their posing routine.

Hope that helps.
Thank you very much indeed.Are there any objections to a copy and paste job (with credits of course)?
  #4   Add to Lucas88's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 11th, 2009, 07:58 PM

Lucas88 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Lucas88
Celtmuscle,
Another psychological perspective to consider (in addition to and not to compete with the one that F_R_Eaky provided) is that BEING the object of intense attention (especially when you're just about buck-naked) can be quite a turn-on in and of itself for some guys, straight or gay. Combine that with the body being somewhat (or even highly) sensitized from the rush of the pump posing can cause and getting turned on is not that much of a stretch.

RPJ just posted a story on the forum (Something Different) about a gay muscleman getting turned on by a tiny woman and being confused about his physical reaction. She clarified the situation for him when he started to wonder if he was straight..."You didn't get off on ME. You got off on ME getting off on YOU! That's not the same thing!" That is NOT just an occurance in RPJ's imagination, LOL.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #5   Add to F_R_Eaky's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 12th, 2009, 12:34 AM

F_R_Eaky is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to F_R_Eaky
Yes, a great other point.... and

No I don't mind the copy and paste job.
  #6   Add to abbraxis's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 12th, 2009, 01:10 PM
The Opinionated Asshole

abbraxis is on a distinguished road
How come BBs don't get erections more often?

I'm actually surprised it's not more common...
  #7   Add to tom256's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 12th, 2009, 05:33 PM

tom256 is on a distinguished road
I'd say the best answer for that abbraxis is that they have worked out so much, that their bodies are probably used to it. Not saying that all bodybuilders while at competitions don't get it.
Its funny, I'm straight yet for some reason muscle attracts to me. Maybe I should have started bodybuilding years ago so then it would have become part of my life. Hind-sight is such a good thing, lol.
  #8   Add to WhoDunIt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 13th, 2009, 12:09 AM

WhoDunIt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to WhoDunIt
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom256 View Post
I'd say the best answer for that abbraxis is that they have worked out so much, that their bodies are probably used to it. Not saying that all bodybuilders while at competitions don't get it.
Its funny, I'm straight yet for some reason muscle attracts to me. Maybe I should have started bodybuilding years ago so then it would have become part of my life. Hind-sight is such a good thing, lol.
I hear ya there tom.
  #9   Add to Slevin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old August 13th, 2009, 01:06 PM

Slevin is on a distinguished road
Blood flow + testosterone = erection.

Men also have a habit of getting erections for no reason at all. I think most men have a fond memory of being 13 and getting an erection everything the bus hits a bump in the road. :P So, lets not forget the possibility he is just having random erections in a place he considers meaningful.

The ethological viewpoint, man as an animal being aroused is well theorized but so far their is little to non clinical data to support that view. It's most often used when referring to the animal rage of criminals or the inclination of people to commit violent acts.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options