The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Community > Personals
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Personals Connect and meet with other muscle growth fans in your area. Looking for a friend, training partner, or something else? Check out this forum!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to wolfotehmoon's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 27th, 2009, 11:27 AM

wolfotehmoon is on a distinguished road
Gyms/Home Gyms in DC metro area?

I go to school in DC, and the weightroom that's open to students is... adequate, but missing a few key pieces. Like a squat rack D: I've been making due by doing a lot more deadlifts, but my lower back is starting to feel the overwork. And, having had the chance to squat again recently, I'm realizing how integral it is a movement. :X The commercial gyms in the area are waaaaay to expensive though... Most of my money goes towards school supplies and food.

So I was wondering if anyone could point me to a gym I might have overlooked (because of its size, or not being listed online or something), or even a home gym that the owner allows other people to use?
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to wolfotehmoon's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 07:12 AM

Gonna go ahead and bump this (maybe once or twice more). Hope to catch one of those guys who only log on occasionally but might be able to help.
  #3   Add to wolfotehmoon's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 8th, 2009, 02:47 PM

Must... squat... D:
  #4   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 9th, 2009, 06:16 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
DC gyms

Wolf,

I've gotta tell you, your best bet may be to see if your school is in a consortium or some sort of arrangement with other schools in the area that permits students to use each other's facilities. Some schools share libraries (interlibrary loan programs are one aspect of this) so there MAY be some programs where schools allow people to use their facilities.

You're right in saying that the commercial gyms in DC are expensive. This is definitely an expensive town. Have you considered checking out facilities in either Foggy Bottom (near GW) or College Park (near U MD)? I'm sure you're not the only student who wants to lift at a decent facility.

Also, possibly, if you're on a sports team at your school, you MIGHT try touching base with guys at other schools in the area who play the same sport. they MIGHT have some suggestions as to where to workout.

Finally, if your school has a powerlifting club, I'm positive they would be able to locate a squat rack for you. What does the football team use?

It's all about brainstorming the possibilities and seeing where they lead.

Mdlftr
  #5   Add to wolfotehmoon's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 9th, 2009, 07:37 AM

Thanks so much, Mdlifter. My school is part of the DC consortium; I don't know if the resource sharing includes access to recreational facilities, but after looking at the facilities available to other consortium schools... Yeah, I'll be looking into it. |3

The school I go to is *ahem* a little behind the times. There's certainly no powerlifting team. There IS another gym, which is the one the football team, track team, softball team, etc, use, but it's athletes-only (lol, I'm definitely not athletic enough to play a sport xD; ), and they're serious about denying access to the rest of the student population because they keep the room under lock and key when it's not in use and under the supervision of a coach. So, I guess we've got it a bit better, with the GENEROUS 5pm-9pm weekdays-only gym schedule...

*bit of research later* There's a Bally's in Hyattsville that was totally off my radar. I'll check it out this weekend. Thanks again!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options