The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to GTlifter's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 29th, 2009, 06:52 AM
In Serious Mode

GTlifter is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to GTlifter Send a message via Yahoo to GTlifter
Merits of a Training Partner

I thought a lot of people on the site may have info on this, I was wondering how important is a training partner. I had one when I first started 7 months ago, but class schedules become such a problem this semester we had to go our separate ways.

I just had several questions about the subject:

How important is a training partner?
Do you feel more motivated when you have one?
Should you be near the same size?

Also I had a thought that with me and my training partner it was almost a rivalry type of situation where we wanted each other to do well, but it pushed each of us to keep making gains.

Just wanted to hear feedback on the topic, especially from people who have dealt with both situations.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to GTlifter's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:56 PM
In Serious Mode

GTlifter is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to GTlifter Send a message via Yahoo to GTlifter
bumping the topic wanted to hear more insight.
  #3   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 02:48 PM

Thanked 1,306 Times in 371 Posts
arpeejay will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to arpeejay
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTlifter View Post
bumping the topic wanted to hear more insight.
I've always wanted one, never had one.

The last isn't quite true -- I worked out with my first hubby for years and years but we were basically a Mutt and Jeff couple. Jeremy was 2 inches shorter than I am and never weighed more than 135 lbs. in his life. I think at my smallest I outweighed him by at least 50 lbs. and a couple of times there the difference was pushing 100 lbs.

It certainly helped to have someone to work out with but he couldn't really push me.

It's a similar story with Naoyuki. We're much closer in size (he's actually an inch or so taller than I am and about 175-180) but for him going to the gym is something he's ought to do, not something he loves to do. I'm sure he appreciates the fact that he's (quite a bit) stronger and (somewhat) better built than he was when he started working out with our trainer 2 years ago but he doesn't live for it the way I do. He's probably at a point where we could start working out together (which was not the case previously) but it's not likely we ever will.

Hope you have better luck in this regard than I ever did!

xoxo

Richard
  #4   Add to Seraph's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 29th, 2009, 10:37 AM

Seraph is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Seraph Send a message via Yahoo to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
I train with a training partner and I find it invaluable, knowing there is someone else relying on me being at the gym means I go on days when I would skip a session if I was training alone. My training partner is stronger than me in some lifts, and I am stronger than him in others. It works well as we can encourage one another and there is some healthy competition
  #5   Add to cccatl's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 8th, 2010, 01:10 PM
MuscleMutant

cccatl
Send a message via Yahoo to cccatl
I've had workout partners off and on over the years. When I find them, they're immensely valuable. They're reliable spotters. They are waiting for you at the gym when you're not feeling it. They push you for that extra rep. They supply you with insights into training, diet, whatever.

But, they're hard to find. And, I've never had anyone that I've worked with for more than 2 years. Something always comes up. It's never personal, just logistic.

BTW, the best lifting partner I ever had was when I was at GT. He and I worked in the same lab. After the day was over, we'd head over and work out at the Barbell Club on campus. He was consistent, insightful, dedicated, and a good friend. That was the one that lasted 2 years. After that he graduated. It was awesome while it lasted.

The best places I've found to look for lifting partners is friends or co-workers who are also into working out. I don't think I've ever met a lifting partner at the gym.

Man, I miss the Barbell Club. Greatest weightlifting facility I ever worked out at. Lots of great equipment. The guys there were serious jocks. The atmosphere was focussed on getting bigger, getting stronger. It was $75 per *year* and they gave you a key, so you could workout anytime. I've worked out at 2am on Christmas eve. It's a privilege. Once you've graduated, GTlifter, get ready to pay $40/month to workout...
  #6   Add to redwolf64's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 9th, 2010, 06:29 AM

redwolf64
Send a message via AIM to redwolf64 Send a message via Yahoo to redwolf64
I had a lifting partner in college, my best friend and roommate.

I was always pretty fat - when I started lifting and watching what I ate in college, encouraged by my friend, I was at 5'6" and about 240.

He was a baseball player and wrestler in high school, so was more advanced than I was. I took a weightlifting class to learn the basics, then we started going to the gym together.

It was pretty beneficial to get and stay motivated.
  #7   Add to more5's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 12th, 2010, 10:13 AM

more5 is on a distinguished road
75$ for a year is so cheap. I have to pay about 47$ for 20x card and that's the cheapest offer they got. I would go perhaps 4 times a week if i could go any time.
  #8   Add to bulknola's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 13th, 2011, 09:54 AM

bulknola is on a distinguished road
hey cccatl. I heard they closed the barbell club to make room for girls volleyball. sucked

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options