The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Diet & Nutrition
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Diet & Nutrition What you need to eat in order to grow.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old October 18th, 2009, 03:29 AM
ricphoenix

Is your body balanced? Acid vs Base Foods

I been reading about body acidity and alkalinity. Apparently, foods like meats and eggs are acid like when we digest them and other foods are more base like. The acid and base foods balance out and we should be more on the base side of things internally....but if you are a bodybuilder its not likely you are due to the amount of protein and carbohydrates we eat. This all puts stress on the digstive system and the bacteria that live in your gut.

From what I can see the only protein that is base like is whey.

The most base like food you can eat is spinach.

If you dont have enough base type foods in your diet it can interfere with nutrient digestion and decrease muscle growth.

Can anyone explain this better ? Or know what I am rambling about?
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Report Post  
Old October 19th, 2009, 02:14 AM
ricphoenix

Ok here are some links to articles describing what I am talking about. Its very important cause you can do everything thing you want but if your body is out of balance it will slow your growth and recovery.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/acid..._imbalance.htm
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #3   Add to monstermusclebe's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 7th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Markus

monstermusclebe is on a distinguished road
Acidic v. Alkaline in the Body: What to Eat

The Universe as a whole is profoundly acidic. Earth is a rare exception in how much of it's surface leans toward the alkaline or basic state. It seems that life ~ at least life on this planet ~ works better when there is a more alkaline state.

Now, you can go to far with that, too. just spend a day walking barefoot in the Black Rock desert (ala Burning Man) in Nevada, and your skin will crack open from the incredibly alkaline nature of the dust on that flat plain.

Nearly all the foods we consume in today's culture are acidic. Almost every pill or supplement you take is acidic. People wonder why they suffer from heartburn and acid reflux? Doctors don't seem to want to tell those people that IT'S THEIR DIET.

Also, different foods affect different people in different ways. A lot of this seems to do with blood type and what is called the 'genotype'. A good place to begin looking at what works for you personally is to visit the site of Dr. D'Adamo: http://www.dadamo.com.

I take his work with a particular grain of salt: I don't believe he has compared food intake from when it is in a raw state to when it has been cooked or processed. I'm not entirely sure about that, but from personal testing that seems true.

Yes, whey is a more alkaline protein than red meat, but it isn't a good choice for everyone. Also, there are aspects to eating red meat (iron in particular) that is hard to get any other way.

What I do personally is balance my diet as follows:

(1) Reduce/eliminate worst culprits of acid-creating foods from my diet
These include all non-whole grains. Unsprouted wheat (wheat gluten is the worst culprit of all)... which means nearly all breads, pastas, etc. There are alternatives. Corn.

(2) Injest lots of dark leafy-green veggies
I try to do this twice a day. I emulsify my veggies in a HealthMaster, unless I'm eating them in a salad or as a side dish... but just salads or side dishes aren't enough veggies. My favorite veggie blend is Kale and Rainbow Chard, and a beet (w/leaves), 1/2 a lemon, a touch of Stevia (natural no-cal sweetener), and a tablespoon of Fruits of the Earth, a whole-food-based supplement that is a blend of the best of the superfruits. My genotype doesn't like spinach, so I avoid that, but it's fine for many people.

(3) Choose Grass Fed beef, lamb or buffalo; Pasture-Raised Eggs, grass-fed raw milk There are clear and distinctive differences between the meat and products of animals that were fed grains and those that were raised as nature originally intended: on grasses. Organic, pasture-raised beef has much higher Omega-3 content than its corn and grain fed brethren. Same with eggs, chicken, etc. I have a strong suspicion that one of the primary reasons we now need to eat less meat is because of how our meats are raised. One quick note on meats: if you char your meat, the blackened portion is one of the worst carcinogens in our diet. However, eating broccoli and garlic (I roast it a bit) before you eat your beef will greatly reduce this effect in your body.

(4) Choose whole, ideally raw/live foods instead of processed whenever possible For example, I use raw honey as my fast-acting carb in my pre- and post-workout shakes, with raw milk, raw cacao powder, and a few whole-food-based supplements. You may have heard that chocolate is high in antioxidants. Raw cacao is higher in antioxidants than any fruit... by far.
  #4   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 21st, 2011, 01:53 PM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
Your Ph balance is very important. Another great company is V?xa.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options