You last visited: Yesterday at 11:53 PM

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 6th, 2004, 02:37 PM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Signs of the coming apocalypse.....

Hi Guys,
Just thought I'd start a new thread here, to reflect some of the really Weird stuff in life that sometimes percolates to the gym, and is a

SIGN OF THE COMING APOCALYPSE...

[No Corwin and Brent, the re-election of Bush cannot count here: too easy! ]

- When your gym bans all cell phones in the locker rooms "because of recent developments"

[Translation: some troll with a built in camera is web-happy]. [This happened in my gym this week! Not a trend I want to be part of....]

- The 'shaping and toning' class and the 'Bulking and gaining' class are taught by the same instructor---at the same time!?

WHAT HAVE YOU SEEN.....?
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to wbhunk's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 6th, 2004, 06:09 PM

wbhunk is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to wbhunk Send a message via Yahoo to wbhunk
I may burn in public hell for this one, but the Red Sox DID win the World Series........LOL.

Other than that, two nights ago at the symphony, two ushers had to physically usher a woman out for answering, talking on, and then placing ANOTHER call on her cell phone!
  #3   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 6th, 2004, 07:55 PM

glammaman2000
Send a message via Yahoo to glammaman2000
where to begin...

...ok,fat skanks that think they look GOOD in see-through white spandex with a midi-top.
  #4   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 7th, 2004, 12:00 AM

brent has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to brent Send a message via Yahoo to brent
Off topic but...

I think the gym I went to tonight was the apocalypse!
  #5   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 7th, 2004, 05:02 PM

Thanked 1,305 Times in 370 Posts
arpeejay will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to arpeejay
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent
I think the gym I went to tonight was the apocalypse!
Apocalypse Gym?

I like it!

xoxo

richard
  #6   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 7th, 2004, 07:14 PM
Muscle Czar

Corwin has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to Corwin Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlftr

[No Corwin and Brent, the re-election of Bush cannot count here: too easy! ]
I hear nothing. I see nothing. I speak nothing.

Quote:
- When your gym bans all cell phones in the locker rooms "because of recent developments"

[Translation: some troll with a built in camera is web-happy]. [This happened in my gym this week! Not a trend I want to be part of....]
the story from LPSG.org was that the photo was emailed to the subject's wife with a note about how lucky she was. It turns out it was mailed from someone in the couple's church. Hmmmmm....

Scott

"Stand firm for what you believe in until or unless logic or experience prove you wrong. Remember, when the emperor looks naked the emperor is naked. The truth and a lie are not sort of the same thing. And there's no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can't be improved with pizza." Daria
  #7   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 8th, 2004, 11:36 PM

Here's another sign

The employees at the last 3 24 Hour clubs I have been to have been really nice. Not only is that different from a few of the ones near my house, but that is the total opposite of all their clubs in Portland! Another sign would be that said clubs also appeared clean, and I could find all the equipment I needed.

Something big and bad is obviously going down.
  #8   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 9th, 2004, 06:09 AM

ethernet_jock
Send a message via Yahoo to ethernet_jock
LMFAO

All the employees at the Ballys I used to go to were always very nice as well. From the PTs who walk the floor between appointments and actually talk to you down to the guy who cleans the lockerroom... they were all very nice people. I can't think of a single instance where I felt shafted or dismayed by a single one of them.

Indeed, there is something awry.
  #9   Add to RadRx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 9th, 2004, 01:24 PM

RadRx has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to RadRx
The folks at most of the 24Hr places I've been too are nice. I'm trying to ignore those at Magic Johnson's place that insist on blasting the music so that they can hear it up front. Even with my headphones on I can still hear their music.

Do you think any of your suggestions might be incorporated into this site?

I can't believe it actually exists.
  #10   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 10th, 2004, 06:05 AM

ethernet_jock
hahahahaha....

there's a website for EVERYBODY... I find more proof of that every day.

Maybe that's a sign of the coming apocalypse in itself?

www.muttonbone.com is another good warning sign IMHO
  #11   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 10th, 2004, 09:19 AM

The Rapture website..can you say DRIVEL?

Wow,
What drivel!

"Barney the Dinosaur" is a candidate to be the "Beast" of the Apocalypse?
The European Union is the new kingdom of the Beast {The animal with 10 heads}

John F. Kennedy "took instructions from Rome?"

Who let the whack-jobs out? That's not to denigrate people who do believe in the concept of the Rapture and all that--I'm objecting to the blatantly outrageous, borderline-libelous, unsubstantiated "claims" on this site!

I believe in free speech as much as the next person, but this is ...ahem....REALLY pushing the limit!

But, it IS a sign! [I guess.....]
  #12   Add to Gene's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 10th, 2004, 09:32 AM

Gene is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlftr
Wow,
What drivel!
\....
Who let the whack-jobs out? That's not to denigrate people who do believe in the concept of the Rapture and all that--I'm objecting to the blatantly outrageous, borderline-libelous, unsubstantiated "claims" on this site!

The internet version of the "National Enquirer" ragpaper.

Wizard's First Rule: "People are stupid. They'll believe anything they want to believe or are afraid might be true." ---Terry Goodkind

Last edited by Gene; December 10th, 2004 at 09:36 AM.
  #13   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 10th, 2004, 09:33 AM

ethernet_jock
you guys will enjoy this... Some lady blanket e-mailed the entire DMCVB staff (including me) yesterday with this message (below). For those who don't know, DMCVB = Denver Metro Convention and Visitor's Bureau. A short background:

Every year Denver has a Parade downtown called "The Parade of Lights"... it's basically a holiday/christmas parade featuring corporate and non-profit sponsored floats with lights all over them and people singing carols and playing band music, etc... It's cool and it ends with Santa Claus. The parade is organized by a entity known as the Downtown Denver Partnership, LLC which is just a group of company owners that put things together to help promote downtown.... we work with them sometimes but we are the primary "advertising" group for Denver nationally and abroad whereas DDP usually markets to the sububs and locally. ANYHOW - this year the DDP decided not to allow a certain church to put their float in our parade. I don't agree with this decision - but I also don't agree AT ALL with this lady's attitude. Read on - it's a good giggle:

------------

Hello,

My name is <removed>. I live in Kentucky. This September, my family made our first trip to Colorado. We stayed two weeks. It was the very best vacation we ever had. The scenery, the people; everything was picture perfect. We have decided that every year we will return to Colorado because we were so refreshed and rested on our return home.

We did not go to Denver this September. We concentrated on the Colorado Springs area. However, Denver was in our plans for next year. Unfortunately, we are Christians. With the recent ugly bias in your parade against Christmas, we do not feel that our interests would be well served by visiting your city. Certainly, the atmosphere in Denver must be hostile towards those who accept Christ as Savior and Lord. We do not want to try to relax nor expose our children to such un-American hate-mongers while vacationing.

Christmas is a nationally recognized holiday. Our nation was founded by men who upheld Scripture and its tenets as the best way for a civilization to remain free and safe. Jefferson stated, "Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure if we have lost the only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" It is unfortunate that your city fails to see the value of Christianity in its celebrations. As you move away from the heritage of our nation, know that there is a majority of the U.S. population that still revere the Christian faith and recognizes its value to our society. We will not spend our tourism dollars in areas where we are mocked and maligned.

<removed>
--------

As the CVB and because our website starts with www.denver.org....we've had a lot of these so far, but this is the only one yet that was blanketed to the whole organization. I think if you read between the lines there she's basically saying "everyone should be Christians, and if they aren't, I don't want to have anything to do with them."..... Wow.... that sounds a little bit like white supremacy.

what do you think?

I'm not sure how she could say it's a parade against Christmas... since it has Santa and christmas songs all throughout. Maybe if it was in July and they called it the Hell parade.... *snicker*

I think my favorite part is that everyone in Denver must be "un-american hate-mongers" because the DDP wouldn't let a single church's float in the parade....

Last edited by ethernet_jock; December 10th, 2004 at 09:35 AM.
  #14   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 10th, 2004, 09:49 AM

Holiday Parade floats and all that

EJ

I think this woman is entitled to her beliefs and opinions, if I might not necessarily share them.

Since I don't know anything about which "church" had it's float turned down, I can't really comment on what she's saying.

It is true, however, that the whole "holiday" celebration can be controversial when it is practiced by governmental or quasi-governmental agencies. On the one hand, the Constitution prohibits restrictions on, or promotion of, the free exercise of religion, on the other hand, most Americans DO believe in some form of a higher power, and December is the month where many religious and cultural celebrations come together.

It's really hard for any government entity to try to reconcile this and put on a public display or acknowledgement without leaving SOMEBODY to feel p.o.ed or left out or "dissed."

Totally apart from that, the holiday season has a lot of emotional resonance for people, religion aside, so it is bound to stir up strong emotion whatever way you look at it!!

Having said all that, I STILL plan to go down to the Mall in Washington DC this weekend and see the "National Christmas Tree" on the Ellipse!

HO HO HO

Mdlftr
  #15   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 10th, 2004, 09:59 AM

That's exactly the sort of whack-job that I imagime comes from Colarado Springs. Are you sure she's even from outside of Co? Also, I'm currious as to what church that was, what did that church do to get itself banned from the parade, and are ather churches involved in the parade?

BTW, I love the "Hell Parade" idea. It might be a good one around here in the Summer...
  #16   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 10th, 2004, 10:15 AM

ethernet_jock
LMFAO

hell parade would be perfect for Vegas.... so appropriate.

no churches are allowed in the parade at all. The policy is so that nobody gets offended by any particular religious sect. and because the damn thing would just be too long.

One article here in our local paper: here

As I said in my post... I don't agree with that decision. I think they should let anybody/everybody in who has the money and gets their name on the list in time (first come, first served).... but you can't please everyone. My comment was only about this woman's ridiculously overboard generalizations and attitude. She is the VERY REASON why they made this policy in the first place.

I agree also - she definitely seems like a CS wack job... obviously a place you've been before. One can never tell, can they?
  #17   Report Post  
Old December 10th, 2004, 10:41 AM
LeatherGryphon

Who was it that said "Religion is the opiate of the masses."?

I don't disagree with the concept of spirituality but I do disagree with the practice of religion.

Religion is so much more widespread than wisdom because you don't have to think. Most upright monkeys don't want to have to think. It's much easier to let other people tell you what to say, do and believe.

A recent study came up with the conclusion that common sense is exhibited by only 7% of the population. Hmm..., I'd known for decades that it was rare but I'd assumed a bigger number than 7%.
  #18   Add to jcwise's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 10th, 2004, 11:14 AM

jcwise is on a distinguished road

Lenin said it.
  #19   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 10th, 2004, 02:41 PM

glammaman2000
"Unfortunately,we are christians"....

...you can say THAT,again,sister...i think we show way too much respect for other people's religion.these crackpots lie like a rug.Thomas Paine ;whose"Common Sense"was the philosophical inspiration for the revolution;also wrote a lengthy critique of the bible.a TINY fraction of the original colonists came here for religious freedom.protestants running away from catholics;jews running away from everybody.&after they got here,the protestant cults were not so tolerant of each other.the founding fathers knew EXACTLY what they were doing!most of them were Masons:fer crissake!(aren't they considered satanic in some circles?)they sure weren't southern baptists!with the exception of the penal colonies(georgia&louisiana)the vast majority of immigrants came here to make a buck.have their own land.some came to get AWAY from religion!(still do!)Washington once said:"this country is in no way founded on religion".they quote the founders the same way they quote the bible:selectively.
  #20   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 10th, 2004, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwise
Lenin said it.
I thought it was Karl Marx in the Communist Manifesto, although I could be wrong.

I love Glamm's post: it's exactly what I was thinking. Also EJ, no I have never been to Colarado Springs, but I've read enough to know that it's a good place for intelegent people to stay away from. You should read Fast Food Nation. It basically uses CS to display all of Mac Donald's worst attributes. I almost feel like I know the place intimately now...
  #21   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 10th, 2004, 08:58 PM

ethernet_jock
hahahaha...

I would go so far as to say that... places like Texas notwithstanding... Colorado Springs, Colorado is probably the epicenter of conservatism and the extreme right-wing republican and righteous pseudo-christian movement in the entire western U.S. I would wager that, in no other Western U.S. city is the concentration of military employee per capita any higher... particularly the "upper brass" of military and their old housewives that work in/around/and have something to do with the Cheyenne Mountain installation. Not to mention the huge army base, air force training facility, and a few other things I know I'm forgetting. Oh, it's also the home base for "Focus on the Family".... which has little to do with family IMHO whatsoever.

It's so weird for it to be so close to Denver (and Boulder in particular)... after all... all 3 million or so of us Denverites are anti-american hate-mongers.

You shoulda seen the reaction of the gay and/or athiest guys at work... it was good.
  #22   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 11th, 2004, 12:09 AM

It's too bad the Cheyenne Mountain types are so focused on the family. Had they been more focused on their job, maybe they would have noticed 4 planes being hijacked on 9/11/01. Just a though. After all, isn't that the basic reason we hollowed out that mountain in the first place?
  #23   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 13th, 2004, 01:38 PM

optimusx is on a distinguished road
Signs of the coming apocalypse..... Going to Wal-Mart just to find that their phonelines are down and they can't accept CreditCard/Debit/Giftcard....
No wait... that was actually very entertaining. Seeing all of those crazed Christmas shoppers there with their buggies full, cards in hand, screaming at their cellphones and employees to talk to management. The front of the store looked like a garbage dump since so many people left their big purchase items (or whole carts) there at the cash registers.

People just need to learn to chill, life happens. (But no.. it's the apocalypse... Walmart isn't taking CCs! Run for the hills! Women, children and well muscled men to the shelters!)
Someone please medicate me
  #24   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 13th, 2004, 06:59 PM
Muscle Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusx
Signs of the coming apocalypse..... Going to Wal-Mart just to find that their phonelines are down and they can't accept CreditCard/Debit/Giftcard....
No wait... that was actually very entertaining. Seeing all of those crazed Christmas shoppers there with their buggies full, cards in hand, screaming at their cellphones and employees to talk to management. The front of the store looked like a garbage dump since so many people left their big purchase items (or whole carts) there at the cash registers.

People just need to learn to chill, life happens. (But no.. it's the apocalypse... Walmart isn't taking CCs! Run for the hills! Women, children and well muscled men to the shelters!)
Someone please medicate me
Walmart scares me. Anyplace that puts anti-freeze next to cheerios is scarey. They should be in separate aisles, if not separate stores.

Scott, who doesn't shop at walmart

"Stand firm for what you believe in until or unless logic or experience prove you wrong. Remember, when the emperor looks naked the emperor is naked. The truth and a lie are not sort of the same thing. And there's no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can't be improved with pizza." Daria
  #25   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 13th, 2004, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwin
Anyplace that puts anti-freeze next to cheerios is scarey.
I'm generally more frightened by Walmart's clientele than the stores themselves. Here in Nevada you are greeted at the front door by a sign asking you not to bring loaded fire arms into the store!!! I used to go there when I first moved here, because they had a lot of departments, but I found they lack selection, and employees that speak English... I also can't find the low prices.
  #26   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 13th, 2004, 08:09 PM

glammaman2000
reasonably good signs of the "a pack'o-lips"

well,there's always the famous"shampoo for external use only".&in one of the outer-boro orthodox jewish neighborhoods,i saw this sign in a restauant;"do not change diapers on dining-room tables"(they tend to have a lot of kids)
  #27   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 14th, 2004, 06:38 AM

ethernet_jock
You know..... since I've become a "new dad" I've also become quite intolerant of restaurants without baby changing stations. I understand if it's a really old mom & pop place or if it's a bar or something.... but any restaurant that advertizes a notion of "family eating" needs to have a diaper changing station. If they don't - they deserve to have babies naked and poop on top of tables.

Seriously.... this annoys me.

They cost $250-350 from koala bear care, I can even give you their phone number. I'll even install one for you for $100. Sheesh.
  #28   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 14th, 2004, 09:07 AM

Yeah, the last thing I want to see when I eat is some green spunk coming out of a kid's ass. Also, if women want to whip out their breasts, and feed their babies in public (yuck again) I'm going into their bathrooms to steal the furniture. That's why they get nice restrooms, is to breast feed. So use them, please!
  #29   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 14th, 2004, 10:40 AM

I'm with EJ on the "intolerant Dad" bit

As a father of two boys, 5 and 7, I can't stand people who let their littles "darlings" run wild in a store or restaurant.

I remember arriving at a family restaurant where a family of pigs....err...I mean a family party ...was just leaving. One of the Dads was stepping gingerly around the piles of ground in spaghetti on the floor, the mashed potatoes on the chair, the neatly wrapped "Used" [YES! oh YUCK!!} diaper on the table. He dropped a handful of bills on the table, looked at us a bit shamefacedly, and trundled after the rest of the screaming, steaming herd as they thundered out the door.....

Almost makes you ashamed to be a breeder! [Not really!]

It's like the ole' rancher sez....
"If you can't control your livestock, don't go into ranching!!"

Mdlftr
  #30   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 14th, 2004, 12:41 PM

What's wrong with leashes?

I remember back in the 1980's, a lot of parents had their kids on leashes. I thought it was a wonderful idea: it saves my nerves, and it saves to little monsters from mischief that can get them hurt (like getting on MY nerves...) However, I haven't seen that in a long time, and I wonder why more parents don't do that? My other thing is that families, IMHO, should only have 2 kids. That way there's a parent to keep an eye on each kid. Also, we live in an over-populated world, so limiting the number of children born might help that issue too.
  #31   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 14th, 2004, 01:32 PM

ethernet_jock
Honestly - with as absolutely insane as my Son is becoming (he has NO FEAR!!) I've been sort of looking for one of those "leashes" myself. I don't think they're such a bad idea to keep your kid safe in a public area. I wish I could trust him to come when I call him and tell him "danger!" or something, but he's just not that with it yet. He's plenty good at running and climbing and getting into things, it's the listening and understanding part we're having trouble with

That's the problem with having a kid that starts walking at 9 months. Physically superior, mentally normal.
  #32   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 14th, 2004, 05:18 PM

I'm sure he's smart too. I think that his getting into everything is curiosity, and that curiosity is a part of intelligence. However, most parents these days seem oblivious to the fact that their kids could be curious about something harmful (like cars, or falling off the railing of the upper level of a shopping mall). I think a leash is a very good idea when you know you will be in a busy place, where you might become distracted, like a mall at Christmas time. Also, I'm quite nervous about some parents not instilling a sense of empathy. In the store I currently work in, kids break things all the time, and usually neither the kids, or their parents care that they destroyed something my employer paid for, and I have to clean up. I guess you can't teach what you yourself don't have...
  #33   Add to muscl32's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 15th, 2004, 12:14 PM

muscl32 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to muscl32
...just wanted to say you guys are awesome. You make me laugh so hard and I'm really on this site for inspiration, but then I start reading these threads and forget all about my serious fucking attitude and just start having fun....thanks for the insight and intelligence. It never ceases to amaze me how enlightening a conversation can be between a group of muscleguys! Have a great holiday too.
  #34   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 15th, 2004, 02:08 PM

Don't go there.....

[QUOTE=brent]I remember back in the 1980's, a lot of parents had their kids on leashes. I thought it was a wonderful idea: it saves my nerves, and it saves to little monsters from mischief that can get them hurt (like getting on MY nerves...) QUOTE]

Um...<cough> I actually thought this was a good idea, and should have left it there. As an idea....When I brought it up to my wife, her reaction.....well, the Antarctic is warmer, and the daggers shooting from her eyes could've been fatal!

Face it, men and women think differently when it comes to kids. Men think, "Containment, protection, practicality" Women think, "self-esteem, cuddling, 'oh-how-cute!'"

What you end up with is a lot of "No! Don't do that! ...stop! Come back here!.."
and all the other speeches you heard YOUR parents give over the years!

Glad to be a Dad, in spite of it all,

Mdlftr
  #35   Add to glammaman2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 15th, 2004, 05:53 PM

glammaman2000
is this why....

....women give me a dirty look when i yell,"HEEL!",at their kids?
  #36   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 15th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Muscle Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by glammaman2000
....women give me a dirty look when i yell,"HEEL!",at their kids?
Maybe... who's holding the other end of your leash when you yell it?

#37   Add to brent's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 15th, 2004, 08:27 PM

OMG, Glam & Corwin, thank you for the laughs!

MdLftr,
A lot of my straight friends hate kids, and don't get the whole idea of taking care of someone other than their husband/boy friend. A lot of my gay friends want kids, but I think that's because it's this abstract thing they know they don't have to worry about actually having. I have a ton of respect for anyone that can spend countless hours, without sleep get me respect. However, I don't want the little monsters running, and screaming around me. I wish these mothers would even pretend to try controlling them. a leash isn't the only way to keep your kids safe, you could also try, "now everyone hold onto the family string, and if you do the whole time, and nobody get hurt or lost, daddy will take you all out for sorbet!" However, I think that the leash is cheaper!
  #38   Add to ethernet_jock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 16th, 2004, 06:48 AM

ethernet_jock
hahahaha...

Agreed, you guys are ALL awesome. I find myself checking this message board more often than my own blog these days.

#39   Add to optimusx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 16th, 2004, 07:54 AM

optimusx is on a distinguished road
Hmm.. I remember parents putting their kids on a leash. Now I have to wonder, is there proper terminology for nursury workers who walk a ton of kids with leashes? Should they be called Kid Walkers (as in Dog Walkers) or the more upscale version, Child Management and Care givers? Also, what do you call a group of kids on leashes? A gaggle of kids? A pack of kids? If one kid goes missing do the rest of the kids try to find their missing companion?

So many questions to be asked, so much oxygen (and bandwidth) to waste.
  #40   Add to Corwin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 16th, 2004, 08:00 AM
Muscle Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent
OMG, Glam & Corwin, thank you for the laughs!

Glam Collar or maybe this ? My favorite is the
Marilyn Monroe , but I'm not sure it is glam enough...

I'm sure all of these are signs of the comin apocalypse...

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options