The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to saur's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 4th, 2010, 09:52 AM

saur is on a distinguished road
Offseason

How many times a week should you workout during offseason?
How about cardio? To get lean mass it's a do or a don't?
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to inflated's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 4th, 2010, 11:50 AM

inflated is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by saur View Post
It depends on your workout program and the intensity of your workouts. If you are doing a full body workout then 3 to 4 times a week is good. If you are dividing up bodyparts then you can work out 6 days a week. Cardio can still be done during the offseason unless you are a super hardgainer then keep cardio to a minimum. Diet is probably the most important part of a successful offseason. Remember the core movements--squat, deadlift, and bench press should be the foundation of an offseason workout, no substitutes. Leg presses are not nearly as good as squats, machine bench presses do not recruit as many fibers as free weights etc.
  #3   Add to cccatl's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 4th, 2010, 06:48 PM
MuscleMutant

cccatl
Send a message via Yahoo to cccatl
Quote:
Originally Posted by saur View Post
This question is a bit odd in that most people don't have an offseason. Only people who compete have an off-season and an on-season. If you compete, you probably already know the answer to this question.

The reason why competitors have on/off seasons is because to compete, you have to be at really low bodyfat levels. You can't really grow on a diet that maintains that level of bodyfat. So, you "cut" for the on-season, and "bulk" during the off-season.

If you're not a competitor, like me, then there's no on or off-season, per se. There's the summer and the winter. You want to be more cut during the summer (when you take your shirt off) and bulk more in the winter. But, the difference in bodyfat levels, in my opinion, is not so great. I never want to be over 20% bodyfat and never under 10%. Competing bodybuilders, by contrast, are down to 5% bodyfat. If I get down to 5% bodyfat, not only can't I grow, but I also have low sex-drive, which kinda defeats the whole purpose of putting on muscle.

So, I don't have bulking/cutting phases. I know a lot of muscle mags talk about this. But, for me, adding mass does not require putting on fat, because I never get so low in bodyfat that I can't grow.

So, to answer your specific questions:

1) Work out 1 bodypart per week. I always try to get sore, but not hurt sore. More importantly, I always try to increasing my strength. This requires that I keep a notebook, so I remember what I was lifting last week.

2) I always do cardio. a) It exercises the most important muscle in the body, i.e. the heart, b) If I don't do cardio, I get fat

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options