The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Watch Me Grow
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Watch Me Grow Discuss your own personal muscle goals and document your bodybuilding progress, including gains in size and strength and also get encouragement from others.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to devenir's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 31st, 2010, 02:11 PM

devenir is on a distinguished road
Novice looking for advice. San Francisco

Hey guys!

I'm a young student living in San Francisco, ready to get huge. I've been a fan of musclegrowth for years, but always lurked around the site. I'm ready to gain some insight (and mass) from all the muscle guys on the site. I'm 6', around 165lbs, and am aiming for 190lbs in a little over a year.

When it comes to gyms and working out I'm a total novice. I'm really looking for some tips from you guys, even if it's just a hint at the right direction (diet, routines, books, etc.). Gyms really intimidate me, something I'm going to have to get over if I want to gain any muscle. I'm leaning towards a membership at 24hr, but we'll see.

I've been riding my bike all over the city for a few years now and have seen some growth in my legs. I figure if I can get my legs sculpted with the hills of SF I should put in the effort to make the rest of my body match!

-devenir

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/3301/dsci0542g.jpg
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to 1bigwoof's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 1st, 2010, 09:16 PM
MASS Matters

1bigwoof is on a distinguished road
The biking has laid a great foundation for you, devenir. Most lifters focus on their upper body so you are already a step ahead of most novices. When I first started lifting, I went M-W-F during the afternoon (when most of the really big guys weren't around). Being a complete beginner, I did full-body circuit training and ate everything in sight. In three months, I gained 25 pounds of mostly muscle. My confidence increased and then I gradually worked into using some free weights and eventually moved into a split-body routine.

For you, with your legs so developed (assuming you're still biking a lot), I would train your upper body twice a week and your legs once a week. If you can't go during the day when it's not crowded, force yourself to go in the morning. Although there may still be some intimidating guys there, they are generally friendlier than those coming in at the peak hours.

Take pics and measurements before you start so you can 'see' your growth even when it might not be evident to yourself. Also, don't be afraid to eat. Keep good form and get plenty of sleep. You won't grow well unless you're getting sufficient sleep. Good luck and keep us posted.
  #3   Add to devenir's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 2nd, 2010, 01:11 AM

Thanks for all the great tips 1bigwoof! I really appreciate it. Later this week I'll have to take some measurements to start tracking my progress. I wish I would have done that with my legs! I do still bike around the city. Now that the weather has been getting better I'm doing anywhere from 30-50 miles a week. Time to start stalking the fridge. (:
  #4   Add to devenir's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 15th, 2010, 02:45 PM

Finally took some measurements today. I don't know if my starting stats are getting me discouraged or motivated!

biceps: 12in D:
calf: 15.5in
quads: 22in
  #5   Add to Atlas's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 16th, 2010, 02:09 AM
Depressed maniac

Atlas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Atlas Send a message via Yahoo to Atlas
Man I'd kill for legs like that, they're awesome!
Keep up the good work!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options