Notices

General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to misslavish's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 15th, 2010, 02:09 AM

misslavish is on a distinguished road
Increase height

HI,
My boyfriend wants to increase his height and he 29 yrs old.

As what I have been told there is no proven way to increase your height at that age. He desperately wants to be 6 feet and is currently 5,10"

I apologize if this is off topic but I thought people on this site would have some experience in this part too

Sarah

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Report Post  
Old June 15th, 2010, 09:58 AM
TeenMuscleGod

yea there's only drugs that he can take, but at that age don't hold your breath. Your doctor can actually help you
  #3   Add to Zap's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 15th, 2010, 03:49 PM

Zap is on a distinguished road
5'10" is actually pretty decent height wise. Everything out there to increase height is just a gimmick. Men are often insecure about being a bit shorter than others they know, so marketing companies know they can get a few quick bucks off of them. On paper it all sounds like it would work, but in real life it often doesn't. Not to mention all the research done is pretty biased.

He's stuck with what he's got (for the most part), so all he can do is be happy with his body the way it is. Last I checked, there's nothing wrong with being of average height. If he's really insecure about it, I guess he can wear special shoes to increase his height by an inch or so.
  #4   Add to cutlerfan's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 15th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Master of Muscle RP

cutlerfan has disabled reputation
There is a costly painful procedure that will lengthen your leg bones but it takes over a year just for a couple inches. If he is desperate enough he can try it but I doubt a qualified US doctor would approve of doing it without a very good medical reason; but there may be a doctor who would. Peace!
  #5   Add to ActionBastard's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 18th, 2010, 10:06 AM

ActionBastard is on a distinguished road
Yes, there is a surgery that can make you an inch or two taller.

I believe they basically cut your shins in half and put metal rods in that they slowly lengthen so that your bones grow longer.
  #6   Add to Ogun's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 18th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Flaming Dreamer

Ogun is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Ogun Send a message via Skype™ to Ogun
I've heard there are exercises to thicken the cartilage in between the bones of the spine- thus supposedly adding height- but take the idea with an extremely large handful of salt.

My Squiby!
php

My Brute! (non-Muxxu) http://perveron.mybrute.com
Muxxu info: RedCrab
  #7   Add to byronlewis's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 22nd, 2010, 02:17 AM

byronlewis is on a distinguished road
I think at the age of 29 nothing would work to increase the height. What doctor says is after the age of 18 it is likely impossible to increase the height rather few cases in which a person gains height naturally. Again 5,10? is an ideal height for a male. He or you should not bother to increase the height.
  #8   Add to inm's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 22nd, 2010, 02:36 AM

inm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to inm
Quote:
Originally Posted by byronlewis View Post
I think at the age of 29 nothing would work to increase the height. What doctor says is after the age of 18 it is likely impossible to increase the height rather few cases in which a person gains height naturally. Again 5,10? is an ideal height for a male. He or you should not bother to increase the height.
Agree, at that age, only the "break your thighs and stretch" surgery works, and no one will do that to a 5"10 man, and rightly so since it is complicated and dangerous procedure.
  #9   Add to Neekko's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 23rd, 2010, 06:50 AM

Neekko is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Neekko Send a message via MSN to Neekko
Last night I read that regular stretching may help, as it increases the spacing in your spinal cord. Or hanging from a chin-up bar everyday and just letting gravity do its work. I don't know how legit that is, though I'm thinking about trying it myself... Good posture is another--if meager--solution.
  #10   Add to Slevin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 24th, 2010, 10:07 PM

Slevin is on a distinguished road
Posture. Posture. Posture. That is the best way to look taller without doing anything crazy like cutting bones or trying risky unproven treatments.
  #11   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 25th, 2010, 06:02 PM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Just saw this, so I thought I'd post:

http://www.ehow.com/about_5422623_av...ight-male.html

Height of United States Men
The average height of an American man between the ages of 20 and 29 is 5 feet, 9.9 inches tall. There is some variation in male heights by ethnicity. For instance, white Americans from age 20 to 29 measure at an average of 5 feet, 10.4 inches tall and African-Americans measure at 5 feet, 10.1 inches. Mexican-Americans average 5 feet, 7.2 inches.
Tallets Average Heights
When you look at the average heights of men in individual countries, European nations jump out as overwhelmingly as having taller men. For instance, Dutch men between the ages of 25 and 45 have an average height of 6 feet. Swedes measure 5 feet, 11.5 inches, Germans measure 5 feet, 11.3 inches tall and Danes measure 5 feet, 11.1 inches tall. Men in Turkey are also quite large, measuring an average of 5 feet, 11.3 inches tall.
Shortest Average Heights
The shorter men in the world tend to be found in emerging Asian nations. Indonesians average 5 feet, 2.2 inches tall, although this is a measure of average height for men 50 and older. Vietnamese men age 25 to 29 average 5 feet, 3.8 inches tall and rural Indian men 17 and older average 5 feet, 3.5 inches tall.
Reasons for Height Variation
There are two primary factors that influence the variation of height from nation to nation and region to region. Genetics has about 60 to 80 percent of the influence on variation. Nutrition and some other environmental factors have about 20 to 40 percent influence, as molecular biologist Chao-Qiang Lai was quoted in the December 11, 2006, issue of "Scientific American."
Economic Conditions
Good nutrition in a population can lead to taller average heights. This fact could explain why wealthy European nations have such tall average heights, while Asian countries like Indonesia and India, which have large impoverished, undernourished portions of their population, have such shorter average heights.

Read more: What Is the Average Height for a Male? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5422623_av...#ixzz0rut3KfsU

~ Boyfriend sounds like he is right at the top of the average for American males!

Mdlftr
  #12   Add to Ender's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 28th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Muscle Nerd in Training

Ender is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Ender
That's why I personally find it annoying when I see people who are 5'9" and taller complaining that they are "TOO SHORT." Too short for what? To be a pro basketball center... you're average or better... live with it...

I'm 5'5" several standard deviation shorter than average while I'm generally okay with that, there are times when I would like to be closer to 5'8" like when I'm buying clothes... Outside the couple of standard deviation range it gets hard to find clothes off the rack that fit right.

Ender
  #13   Add to Neekko's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 28th, 2010, 02:01 PM

Neekko is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Neekko Send a message via MSN to Neekko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender View Post
That's why I personally find it annoying when I see people who are 5'9" and taller complaining that they are "TOO SHORT." Too short for what? To be a pro basketball center... you're average or better... live with it...
Haha, agreed! My partner sometimes whines about being only 6'1"--though his height issues come from the fact that his dad and older brother are about 6'5". German blood, mm...
  #14   Add to wolfotehmoon's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 28th, 2010, 05:00 PM

wolfotehmoon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender View Post

I'm 5'5" several standard deviation shorter than average while I'm generally okay with that, there are times when I would like to be closer to 5'8" like when I'm buying clothes... Outside the couple of standard deviation range it gets hard to find clothes off the rack that fit right.

Ender
Hah, I've encountered that, with a coworker. Granted, he was a football player and probably the shortest lineman on the team, but at 6'1" and over 300 pounds to my 5'7" 190 (at the time), I found it hilarious that he whined about it about as much as I did. My friends among the work crew also got a kick out of it.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options