General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to msllover's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 3rd, 2011, 06:07 PM
Moving Forward

msllover is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to msllover
Why I want to live in Britain

It really would be awesome to live in a country that was much more tolerant of my sexuality.

So, check out the hunk toward the end, not huge, but no lacking...

yahoo: storyen
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to CelticMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 4th, 2011, 01:16 AM

CelticMuscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CelticMuscle Send a message via MSN to CelticMuscle Send a message via Yahoo to CelticMuscle
Unforunately, you should not believe all the adverts you see

Quote:
One in five lesbian and gay people have been victims of homophobic aggression over the past three years, a survey of hate crime revealed today.

Their experiences ranged from beatings and sexual assault to persistent harassment and insults, often from neighbours and colleagues.

The gay rights charity Stonewall said the lives of Britain's 3.6 million lesbian and gay people were overshadowed by the fear of homophobic crime.

It commissioned YouGov to carry out the first comprehensive national survey into the problem, questioning more than 1,700 lesbian, gay and bisexual people.

The poll found a homophobic crime or incident had been experienced by 12.5% over the past year and 20% over the past three years.

One in six of the victims had been physically assaulted and one in eight had been subjected to unwanted sexual contact. Almost nine in 10 had experienced homophobic insults and harassment.

Three-quarters of the victims had not reported the incident to the police, often because they did not think the complaint would be investigated.

Only 1% of hate crimes that were reported to the police resulted in a conviction. Two-thirds of victims who reported incidents to the police were not offered advice or referred to support services.

Jacqui Smith, the home secretary, congratulated the charity for undertaking "this timely research".

She said: "We are determined that lesbian and gay people should have the confidence to report crimes to the police knowing they will be taken seriously, the crime investigated and their privacy respected."

She said the findings of the poll would be considered by the ministerial action group on violence, which is investigating further action on hate crimes.

The charity was prompted to commission the poll by the murder of Jody Dobrowski, a 24-year-old assistant bar manager who was beaten to death in a homophobic assault on Clapham Common, south London, in 2005.

Almost half the lesbian and gay people in the survey thought they were at greater risk of being physically assaulted than a heterosexual. One third said they altered their behaviour so as not to appear lesbian or gay in an attempt to avoid becoming a victim of crime.

One in 10 said being a victim of crime was their biggest worry, more than being ill or having financial debts.

The survey showed lesbian and gay people were more likely to report crimes in areas where the police were gay-friendly employers. Hampshire, South Wales and Lothian were praised for taking homophobic hate crimes seriously.

Stonewall said all police officers should be trained to recognise homophobic hate crimes. Other recommendations included stronger action against homophobic bullying in schools and a zero-tolerance policy against bullying in the workplace.

Ben Summerskill, the chief executive of Stonewall, said: "This was the first statistically significant national survey into the extent and nature of homophobic hate crime. The experiences it has uncovered are shocking. We hope the whole criminal justice system will now rise to the challenges that this research poses."

The Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo) said the findings would help the police improve the service.

Mike Cunningham, the deputy chief constable of Lancashire and Acpo's spokesman on equality, said: "It cannot be acceptable that a third of victims do not report incidents to the police because they do not think the police would, or could, do anything about it. Neither is it right that two thirds of those who reported incidents to the police were not offered or referred to advice or support services. The findings offer the service a real opportunity to make real improvements."
  #3   Add to luvyalots's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 4th, 2011, 12:53 PM

luvyalots is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I don't know where the myth started that Europeans were more accepting than Americans. In some cases, it's the other way around. It really depends on exactly where you are, I found.
  #4   Add to Jack of Blades's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 4th, 2011, 04:03 PM

Jack of Blades is on a distinguished road
Also, note the expression of the two at the end. The "OMGWTFBBQ?!?! I'm friends with a homo?!?!"

Just because Fags here are cigarettes and faggots are meat based products often roasted in gravy doesn't mean that we're all happy go lucky gays. I'm fortunate I live in a very open and understanding area. Even if there are about 7 gays in the whole county.

I think the thing really is that there is more media allowance and legal clout behind the US gay bashing far right wing christian extremeists, whereas here the hate is usually (note usually, not always) from chavs, lads and other assorted louts. Admittedly, there are plenty of hate crimes not considered criminal, like families disowning their kids because of their sexuality and so on, even in the richer poshies. I guess it takes all kinds of bigots to make a nation.

"So did I, which at least proved I wasn't. Then I decided I was a lemon for a while. I kept myself amused jumping in and out of a Gin and Tonic."

"Where did you find a Gin and Tonic?"

"Weell.. I didn't. I found a small lake that thought it was a Gin and Tonic and jumped in and out of that. At least I think it thought it was a Gin and Tonic."
  #5   Add to paarke's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 4th, 2011, 04:22 PM

paarke is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to paarke
I think it depends where you live. I grew up in a small town in Warwickshire which wasn't always much fun, but I moved to Birmingham 13 years ago and I've never had much trouble since I've been here. Having said that, I have known people who have so it still goes on, I think its probably just that its easier to be anonymous here. Unfortunately you will find bigots in every society.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options