The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Male Muscle Growth > Muscle Growth Media
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Muscle Growth Media Registered Members Only: Remember seeing The Hulk literally bust out of his clothes on TV as a kid? Talk about other muscle growth sightings in the movies, television, websites and other media. View and post before & after bodybuilding progress photos, morphs, illustrations and other male muscle growth-themed media.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to chimera0010's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 9th, 2011, 08:42 PM

chimera0010 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to chimera0010 Send a message via Yahoo to chimera0010 Send a message via Skype™ to chimera0010
The new conan the barbarian

http://youtu.be/ptC_KlAP_Ko
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to chimera0010's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 9th, 2011, 08:43 PM

chimera0010 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to chimera0010 Send a message via Yahoo to chimera0010 Send a message via Skype™ to chimera0010
sry try this
  #3   Add to mango's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 10th, 2011, 06:18 PM

mango is an unknown quantity at this point
no arnold no conan

this looks like Hollywood crap. Rolf Moller, who was Conan in the short-lived TV series had the flesh to pull it off but this guy's got nothing but a Klingon brow. Aint gonna work despite what appear to be ok scenery and a bevy of extras.
  #4   Add to Bull's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 12th, 2011, 01:45 AM

Bull
Send a message via AIM to Bull Send a message via Yahoo to Bull
It looks a hell of a lot better than that Ahnuld piece of crap.
  #5   Add to mango's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 12th, 2011, 06:18 PM

that's just ignorant

Conan the Barbarian with a young Mr. Olympia in the the title role was the first opportunity since the sword and sandlal fad to see a big muscleman on screen. Yeah it was crap. But it was a hit because of the beef on screen. Your wasting your time on the wrong board if you plan to put down a movie that starred an actual Mr. Olympia here. Are you a Kevin Sorbo fan or something? Do you not understand the difference between a muscleman and an "actor"?
  #6   Add to samjoy's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 16th, 2011, 03:25 AM

samjoy is on a distinguished road
Well I am a huge fan of Conan, so hopefully this will be at least an watchable movie. In fact, I am sure it will be, the trailer looks good
  #7   Add to FrenchMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 16th, 2011, 04:06 AM
MUSCLE WARRIOR

FrenchMuscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to FrenchMuscle Send a message via Yahoo to FrenchMuscle Send a message via Skype™ to FrenchMuscle
The is only one Conan: ARNOLD

#8   Add to Phlex's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 22nd, 2011, 01:27 PM

Phlex
Art direction looks nice, but looks like – as with the earlier films –*this doesn't have much to do with Robert Howard's stories.
  #9   Add to suma's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 22nd, 2011, 03:07 PM

suma is on a distinguished road
strange thing is, as Mr O finalists, and real life musclemen in general are still getting bigger & bigger, but there seems to be trend in Hollywood to muscle down the superheros?
Besides this movie, think about Thor, Capt America, Bane.
  #10   Add to morhedron's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 22nd, 2011, 04:33 PM

morhedron is on a distinguished road
i hate to be rude, but this has been quite well explained multiple times in multiple interviews over and over again.

in marketing surveys, general audiences (the only thing hollywood and producers care about) don't like freakishly huge guys. this is why every single bodybuilder who has tried to get into film has been told to slim down, as well as the not quite bodybuilders but still huge, like dwayne johnson. schwarzenegger himself advised johnson to slim down even back during the rundown (google that film to see how old it is!).

it is not a "new" trend, it has been going on since schwarzenegger was big. read about levrone's and newman's attempt to get on film and they all said the same thing. it is not a hollywood dictate to get non-bodybuilder types into the rolls, they are simply obeying the market.
  #11   Add to suma's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 22nd, 2011, 06:59 PM

suma is on a distinguished road
gotcha morhedron,
muscular characters today in movies are ALOT bigger than they used to be say 60s 70s or 80s.

i'm just saying when the character is a superhero immortal type, or near that , or fantasy character like Conan, then why not cast a huge 250++ bber, when there are so many out there.
at least the Hulk movies didn't hold back on muscle & super huge size, even if it meant going the CGI route.
  #12   Add to morhedron's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 22nd, 2011, 07:25 PM

morhedron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by suma View Post
gotcha morhedron,

i'm just saying when the character is a superhero immortal type, or near that , or fantasy character like Conan, then why not cast a huge 250++ bber, when there are so many out there.

because test audiences don't like that. producers don't just want to service guys with a muscle fetish. they want, when thor lifts off his shirt, the women in the audience to go, "mmm" not "ewww," and they're more likely to do that when the guy is not too big. at any male muscle fetish site, just go through the comment section and see how many women there are. conversly, if you can find a pic of a shirtless 250+ bber in the mainstream, just see the reaction from the majority of women--usually it is disgust, complaints about all the veins, etc., etc.

it may be that audience tastes may change in a few years or so, but it's not likely.

Last edited by morhedron; May 22nd, 2011 at 08:12 PM.
  #13   Add to mango's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 23rd, 2011, 06:31 PM

I get it bit I still think it bites

I know most people are not into+ seeing Paco in his younger years on screen. I get it. I never needed Sherlock Holmes to explain it. But I aint interested in seeing that crap from Hollywood that will be pushed as some kind of big dude movie. I would prefer a muscle man showing some butt and pec in these roles. Once in a while it is tried as in the short lived Conan TV show ten years ago. With that huge German in the title role. He wasn't handsome or ugly but if you like the big guys he was it. I do't give a crap how Hollywood picks its' muscle stars but I do know Mr Olympia's Conan was big enough to create two sequels. It was more successful than these weak kneed "muscle movies". The Kevin Sorbo era of sword and sandals was always stupid because focus groups don't buy tickets to Conan type flix, guys who are impressed with muscle buy them, unless a big star is leading ala Troy. And if anyone expects depth and believable plot in this genre I have a bridge for sale. Also girls don't like this shit so getting their opinion is not going to help sell tickets to the crap with a title like Bane or Conan. The only reason I put up with those Conan movies and Gordon Scott movies was the beef on screen. Not because I thought they were any good. Clash of the Titans from the 80's was a lot of fun though, an exception.
  #14   Add to Minotaur's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 23rd, 2011, 08:53 PM
Muscled Chub Club

Minotaur is on a distinguished road
Conan is played by Jason Momoa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Momoa

He plays Khal Drogo in Game of Thrones.

Dorothy: You really haven't grasped the concept of this gay thing yet, have you?

Blanche: There must be homosexuals who date women.

Sophia: Yeah, they're called lesbians.
  #15   Add to mango's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 24th, 2011, 06:17 PM

Nice dreads

Crappy looking Conan.
  #16   Add to redwolf64's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 27th, 2011, 06:47 AM

redwolf64
Send a message via AIM to redwolf64 Send a message via Yahoo to redwolf64
It's true that huge bodybuilders aren't going to get cast in lead roles in films and tv because of the "ick" factor for the general public. They usually pop up in supporting roles as a henchman for one of the bad guys.

Before Arnold got cast in Conan and his other big parts, he popped up in several films in these types of supporting roles - things like the quirky Altman film "The Long Goodbye" or "Stay Hungry" with Jeff Bridges. And he was huge in those. He trimmed down a bit when he moved on to starring roles.

I went to a local bodybuilding show that featured local Malcom Marshall (6'1", 320 off season) as a guest poser recently. Attended with a couple of gay friends who had never seen a bodybuilding show and they didn't find the big guys sexy at all - they thought it was just freaky, so I can understand the reluctance of producers and directors to cast heavyweights in film if they're trying to appeal to a broad audience.

I'm not a big fan of the new Conan, but at least it means that the two original Conan movies with Arnold are coming out on blu-ray so you can see some hot muscle in all its hi-def glory.
  #17   Add to Aielyn's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 27th, 2011, 08:13 AM

Aielyn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf64 View Post
It's true that huge bodybuilders aren't going to get cast in lead roles in films and tv because of the "ick" factor for the general public. They usually pop up in supporting roles as a henchman for one of the bad guys.
Lou Ferrigno:

Arnold Schwarzenegger:

Steve Reeves:

Sean Connery (no kidding):

John Cena:

They may not be dominant, but there certainly are bodybuilder actors, including some huge ones. Of course, the massive ones are less likely to want to be actors, so it's no surprise that the top bodybuilders don't show up in movies - movies screw up their lifestyles.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options