The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Male Muscle Growth > Muscle Growth Media
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Muscle Growth Media Registered Members Only: Remember seeing The Hulk literally bust out of his clothes on TV as a kid? Talk about other muscle growth sightings in the movies, television, websites and other media. View and post before & after bodybuilding progress photos, morphs, illustrations and other male muscle growth-themed media.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to msllover's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 11th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Moving Forward

msllover is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to msllover
Roid Rage

I dunno, thought it was hot: mainly because no one was hurt.

yahoo: storyen
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to powaqqatsi's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 11th, 2011, 02:42 PM

powaqqatsi is on a distinguished road
I did a quick search for "Lunk Alarm" and I have to say that if a gym ever pulled that shit on me I'd probably have a similar reaction and I'm 100% natural. Sorry, but any gym that installs this is run by pricks. There's more to say here but that's probably its own thread.
  #3   Add to cutlerfan's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 11th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Master of Muscle RP

cutlerfan has disabled reputation
That sucks man! It seems logical to me that the bigger you get when you are bodybuilding the tougher it is to be gentle in putting down weights or to be quiet when you are forcing your body beyond its limits..hence the grunting..I imagine. I've often heard Planet Fitness is not a good gym.
  #4   Add to WhoDunIt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 11th, 2011, 08:42 PM

WhoDunIt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to WhoDunIt
Looks faked to me, if not that guy is an asshole for just throwing crap around and throwing a tantrum like that. Guess I'm too nice, I'd have gone and talked to the manager on duty and told them that they were loosing another customer because of their idiotic policy and will encourage people to look elsewhere because of their attitude towards people who might actually want to use their equipment as intended.
  #5   Add to Malack101's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 12th, 2011, 01:34 AM

Malack101 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I was about to say that that looked like a staged commercial for Planet Fitness.
  #6   Add to FuzzyKB's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 12th, 2011, 02:14 AM

FuzzyKB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by msllover View Post
I dunno, thought it was hot: mainly because no one was hurt.

YouTube - ‪Guy Loses It At The Gym And Has A Roid Rage Tantrum‬‏
I have grown to hate the words "roid rage" because they are appearing more and more to me to be about 10% fact and about 90% political.

Large people be they professional athletes or just idiots are "used" on a regular basis to express a political viewpoint. They are used because when they go in a defense attorney says: "If you're on steroids we can get you to go public and denounce steroid usage as the cause of your outburst that way the drugs get the blame and you get off with a slap on the wrist."

I have helped and been a care giver for many men infected with the HIV virus and these same men were given dosages of steroids for wasting syndrome that are legitimately in excess of what many bodybuilders have used. I have yet in over ten years of volunteer work to ever see a single HIV patient ever experience a violent outburst in the manner expressed here.

Unless one has chemical analysis of the perpetrator of this exhibition of extreme stupidity (staged or not) it is legally actionable to refer to this as roid rage because it is stating that this man has without doubt used illegal drugs in a public forum.

Other than that this is very likely a staged acting job for some anti-roid commercial or some agency geared towards the great drug wars.

Nope! I don't buy it. An idiot is an idiot and this is not drug related.
  #7   Add to grywlf's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 12th, 2011, 03:08 AM

grywlf is on a distinguished road
think about it how would you react in the middle of a workout some guy come and tells you your membership is revoked becauce of grunting during lifting
  #8   Add to blueberryboy's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 12th, 2011, 05:48 AM

blueberryboy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to blueberryboy
While I'm not a fan of grunting (I prefer using general breath control techniques) this was too far. Seriously that was kind of prickish... okay really prickish. And the assumption that he was using steroids is again wrong. This was just a simple case of prick meets prick.
  #9   Add to calhoun's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 12th, 2011, 06:02 AM

calhoun is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyKB View Post
I have grown to hate the words "roid rage" because they are appearing more and more to me to be about 10% fact and about 90% political.

Large people be they professional athletes or just idiots are "used" on a regular basis to express a political viewpoint. They are used because when they go in a defense attorney says: "If you're on steroids we can get you to go public and denounce steroid usage as the cause of your outburst that way the drugs get the blame and you get off with a slap on the wrist."

I have helped and been a care giver for many men infected with the HIV virus and these same men were given dosages of steroids for wasting syndrome that are legitimately in excess of what many bodybuilders have used. I have yet in over ten years of volunteer work to ever see a single HIV patient ever experience a violent outburst in the manner expressed here.

Unless one has chemical analysis of the perpetrator of this exhibition of extreme stupidity (staged or not) it is legally actionable to refer to this as roid rage because it is stating that this man has without doubt used illegal drugs in a public forum.

Other than that this is very likely a staged acting job for some anti-roid commercial or some agency geared towards the great drug wars.

Nope! I don't buy it. An idiot is an idiot and this is not drug related.

I agree with you completely, Fuzzy. I'm sick and tired of people blaming their outrageous/unethical/criminal behavior on something other than themselves.....usually some kind of drug or alcohol, or some form of mental illness that they claim to have. Personal responsibility does not seem to exist anymore.
  #10   Add to chegs_uk's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 12th, 2011, 10:05 AM

chegs_uk has disabled reputation
But, this is 2011 guys, didn't you get the memo?

Nobody is responsible for their own actions anymore, it was the drugs, or the drink, or their parents, or the media, or that guy, you know, the one over there, then one you can't prove it about, but we know it was him.

If anybody asks though, I didn't say the above, and I've got witnesses to back me up, I neither support nor opose anything, particularly things that any of you will think less of me for.

Please note, views expressed in this post do not necessarily represent the views of chegs_uk and should not be taken in any way, shape, or form to represent anything.
"What about the people you work with? The people you call friends? Are you willing to sacrifice them? What about your family? What about your God? What about truth? What about blood? What about right? What about wrong? What about your future? What about faith? What about sin? What about hell? What about death? What about life?"
  #11   Add to Rabbyadam's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 12th, 2011, 10:18 AM

Rabbyadam is on a distinguished road
Ok, if your tossing the weights around like an idiot and grunting like a mad man, you deserve to get a "talking to".

You can get a better workout by monitoring your breathing. Throwing the weights down instead of just setting them down is lazy. I don't care if you're fatigued from your set, don't throw weights around that aren't even yours. They are the gym's property.

Also, I'm not sure I believe in "roid rage". I couldn't care less what you do to your body; acting like an ass makes you look bad in any capacity.
  #12   Add to bigbearny's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 12th, 2011, 11:09 AM

bigbearny
Send a message via Yahoo to bigbearny
problem with these "gyms" is they have Zero tolerance for any level of grunting at all.. they really cater to the people that only want to do some cardio once a month or so and socialize there.. here's an article from the NY Times about a correctional officer that ran into this problem.. they don't discriminate unless you really want to work out.. I'm not even sure why they have free weights at all since they attract the clients they don't seem to want..
  #13   Add to grywlf's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 12th, 2011, 11:44 AM

grywlf is on a distinguished road
that was my point everyone supposed to be quiet no clankin weight mons or growns if they pull that alarm everyone stares and you get informed your membership is revoked that guy must of been like "are you F@ing kidding me"
  #14   Add to Gene's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 12th, 2011, 06:43 PM

Gene is on a distinguished road
Nah, I think it was real.

I hate the idea of chrome gym palaces where the pretty people go to sip fruit drinks and gab on their phones while still sitting on a piece of equipment. I think that guy was for real. But I don't agree with his behavior.

The idea of a lunk alarm would absoultely force me to move to another gym because it would prove I was at the wrong place.

I don't have anything against grunting and moderate vocalizations but yes, they can be taken too far. I believe much of that noise is posturing. I've known some really big guys that know what they're doing and don't have to let people know it's heavy. I've also know some real assholes who apparently think noise equals cool. That dropping weights is the expected thing to do.

Someone once said "Stay in control of the weights". Perhaps they should add "stay in control of yourself".

However, throwing a weight into a mirror is just jackass behavior.
  #15   Add to WhoDunIt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 12th, 2011, 07:34 PM

NOw that I hear it better, I'd hurt myself of that alarm went off in my gym! It would suck to be midway through an 85-90 dumbbell press then have that go off and spook you!
  #16   Add to anpuZA's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 12th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Come up 2 the lab

Thanked 1,280 Times in 508 Posts
anpuZA will become famous soon enough
Lol... dare I say it, but, yet again a girl brings out the best in a guy!

^^
  #17   Add to nnnrg's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 13th, 2011, 03:40 AM

nnnrg is on a distinguished road
Apparently some people haven't ever done martial arts.

Yes, vocalizing can help you focus your energy. And I've met a few 'jock' types who learned to do it either instinctively or from some ill-focused coaching thing.
And it's mostly about keeping the lungs at a proper level of inflation, sort of a pneumatic effect, and proper exhalation moderates blood pressure (look up valsalva maneuver) and so forth. Some people learn to do this while yelling.

But there are other methods, as several people have said, which normally work as well.
Still. Sometimes that little extra adrenalin comes from the audible part.
  #18   Add to chrisabs's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 13th, 2011, 10:57 AM

chrisabs is on a distinguished road
Love the hypocrisy!

No judging yet they call people Lunks for wearing tank tops or drinking from large containers actually on the "lunk alarm"

Why even go to that gym!!
  #19   Add to Chansey's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 13th, 2011, 04:57 PM

Chansey is on a distinguished road
Exclamation I usually don't comment, but I had to about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnnrg View Post
Apparently some people haven't ever done martial arts.

Yes, vocalizing can help you focus your energy. And I've met a few 'jock' types who learned to do it either instinctively or from some ill-focused coaching thing.
And it's mostly about keeping the lungs at a proper level of inflation, sort of a pneumatic effect, and proper exhalation moderates blood pressure (look up valsalva maneuver) and so forth. Some people learn to do this while yelling.

But there are other methods, as several people have said, which normally work as well.
Still. Sometimes that little extra adrenalin comes from the audible part.
I may have read your comment wrong, but I'm pretty sure the valsalva maneuver is one of the worst things you can do while working out as it can lead to a spontaneous pneumothorax.

And just to comment on this discussion in general, I have moved pretty heavy weight while working out and can honestly say that loud grunting is NOT involuntary. Heavy exhalation, yes. Loud breathing? Absolutely.

But there are some guys who literally sound like they are screaming -- I mean dudes who actually make "grrrrrr!!!!" and "arrrrghhh!" sounds. Everyone looks up with a raised eyebrow, myself included, annoyed but also distracted. Its just plain rude.

And while one can argue about how involuntary grunting can be, there is no excuse for slamming weights. Ask someone to spot you if you can't finish a set - but seeing people treating gym property like trash just sends me over the edge.
  #20   Add to ilimzn's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 15th, 2011, 09:51 AM

ilimzn is on a distinguished road
Ah... Roid Rage, something that seems to happen only in the USA. The rest of the world usually calls it 'being a jerk'.
  #21   Add to WhoDunIt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 15th, 2011, 08:18 PM

I still do too, especially when it looks like the "Roid's" ain't workin' as planned
  #22   Add to Shade's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 16th, 2011, 01:02 AM
Unleashing the Beast

Shade is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Shade
I'll be the first to say that some bodybuilders and athletes are intimidating people. In my experience this is not intentional, and most bodybuilders are pretty welcoming and friendly to new folks wanting to train. But the world is also full of jerks, many without big physiques. And some with big physiques who are bullys.

Thus I appreciate and support the need to create an environment that caters to the more average gym goer, and the argument would be that serious lifters find another gym more suited to their needs. I have done that in the UK and am content.

But to call someone a "Lunk", and to create a marketing campaign against these kind of people, is just plain wrong. It's no better than "Mick", "Spic", "Fag" or whatever abusive and bigoted comment you can apply to someone because of personal characteristics. I'm not so big I can't laugh at myself. But I take exception to anyone who thinks I'm stupid because I have bigger biceps than they do.

It may not be possible to reach perfection, but vigorously pursuing it will lead to excellence.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger darling.

True strength doesn't come from might of arms, but from force of will.
  #23   Add to DieselMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 20th, 2011, 07:17 PM

DieselMuscle is on a distinguished road
I HATE "Planet Fitless" and I love this video!
  #24   Add to michael1's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 21st, 2011, 01:29 AM

michael1 is on a distinguished road
And it can even be more idiot...

My membership was recoked just because i was wearing a workout singlet, like many of us do..

The most idiot on this whole story is:
i have NEVER had anything with the gym owner there, that guy is just a tiny prick which took this gym over some years ago just to earn his money the easy way .. big car etc etc.. this "very sportive" guy , (he doesn't workout at all, so shows his body) is also in the bar at saturday evenings and he has became friends with some of the guys there.. When these guys are working out wearing a singlet nothing is wrong.
From what i heard the past months from others their memberships were revoked also, for the most stupid things, like they are sweating to much while they are in their workout.. The same reason always go: the women on thei cardio equipment don't like that kind of sight...

Now his gym:
This is a gym SERIOUSLY for bodybuilders, heavy weights, seriuos machines, anything you could need is there... But why is this gym owned by cuch a stupid creep...
  #25   Add to msllover's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 21st, 2011, 01:51 AM
Moving Forward

msllover is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to msllover
I can see both side, but I'm NOT a builder either...

Certainly its kinda rediculous when guys scream as they lift weights. If they're going to be that loud they should find a gym that allows that.

At the same time, assuming that lifting huge amounts of weight should never cause anyone to growl or something seems absurd.

I have been to the gym where there are guys kinda quietly groaning and there was this one big guy who's just yelling. Dude was moving serious weight, but it seemed like he really overdoing it either trying to establish some primal dominance being the loudest or making sure the rest of the gym and 3 streets down knew that he was working out and lifting huge weight and he was the shit.

So, I see two sides. I can see how it would be hard to call on many situations.

But if you're hard core bodybuilder would you really be working out at Bally's or LA Fitness or 24 Hour Fitness? I see those gyms are more for gym bunny types (which works for the majority of the population)

Did any of that make sense?

yahoo: storyen

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode