The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to Stoneman's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 31st, 2011, 10:48 AM

Stoneman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Stoneman
Deadlift Dizzies

So I'm on a new training routine, and it has me start out back day with 3 sets of 10-12 deadlifts.

I recently wrapped up a Starting Strength routine where I was deadlifting over 315 for 5 reps. But when I have to do so many reps, I had to bring it down to around 225.

Anyways, whenever I finish up my 3rd set, I am always so incredibly dizzy and faint, I need like a half an hour before I feel competent again. My successive lifts really suffer because I am so winded and out of it from the deadlifts. Am I doing this right? I feel like this is unproductive.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 31st, 2011, 03:23 PM

Thanked 1,306 Times in 371 Posts
arpeejay will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to arpeejay
Strength and stamina aren't the same thing, of course. You've obviously got the strength (pulling 315 x 5 is great work!) but sounds like you need to work on the stamina! Perhaps you need to build up to it? No reason you can't space the sets through your work out, one at the beginning, one in the middle, one at the end?
  #3   Add to msllover's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 31st, 2011, 05:02 PM
Moving Forward

msllover is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to msllover
Hey Stoneman, I'm an LPN (Lisence Practical Nurse). I'm getting involved with this thread becuase of potential medical issues.

I'm very glad to hear that you're lifting and 315 for ANY reps is damn impressive!

I am very concerned about the dizziness. As an LPN I can offer suggestions, but under US and AZ law I'm obligated to tell you to speak w/ a doctor or medical provider (MD, DO, Nurse Practitioner, Physician's Assistant) just to rule out any medical causes.

It is my very humble (LPN's are below RN's in the general scheme) that this may be caused due to a lack of blood flow to the brain. Straining so much may shunt blood away or change your blood pressure (decreasing it) which would reduce blood flow to the brain and therefore cause dizziness, lightheadedness, weakness, etc.

Its obvious that you have the strength to do the excersize, but my humble opinion and suggestion would be to decrease the weight until you feel no dizziness. In doing so, you would decrease the risk of injurgy.

In older persons, there is something in the medical field called a "Comode Code" meaning that someone sits on the toilet, really tries to force a bowel movement and ends up having a stroke or anyurism or heart attack because they put too much stress on their body.

I would suggest:

1. Having a provider rule out other causes
2. Decreasing the weight until you don't feel dizzy or light headed
3. Increasing aerobic exersize under the guidience of a doctor (I have to put that in) to increase your cardiac output and improve cardiac health
4. Always work out w/ a person who is near your level of strength incase something does happen
5. Get plenty of fluids (which will incease blood volume which would decrease the sensation of dizziness if its cardiac/O2 related)
6. Take all medicines and follow all your providers orders as ordered and ask questions when unsure.

If you have further questions, feel free to contact me! Good luck and don't stop working out, just work out safely and use your head! Be bad to pass out in the midst of this and end up w/ a bone sticking out of your leg....

Taylor LPN

yahoo: storyen
  #4   Add to msllover's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 31st, 2011, 05:20 PM
Moving Forward

msllover is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to msllover
btw, if there is an RN or physician/provider who can add to or clarify my comments, I welcome it!

yahoo: storyen
  #5   Add to inflated's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 25th, 2011, 01:22 PM

inflated is on a distinguished road
Deadlifts usually should not cause dizziness as easily as squats do but there could be several reasons.

1. You are actually holding your breath while doing deadlifts--
2. Your head is looking down during deadlifts instead of straight forward as you should
3. You are doing deadlifts at the end of an exhausting workout and you are overfatigued

*4 You have some type a vascular insufficiency such as vertebral artery insufficiency, or carotid artery insufficiency--if this is the case you need to see a physician ASAP because you could be a ticking timebomb for a stroke or aneurism. Now do not get too excited- first try the exercise with lighter weight and good form to rule out the first 3 reasons. If you still get dizzy with light weight and good form then you should address this concern with your doctor, it may be something very basic but its is better to be safe in this case. If you have a vascular insufficiency many different exercises should make you dizzy not just deadlifts, if it is just deadlifts it is most likely due to bad form or exhaustion. But if you are still concerned I would definitely see a doctor about it who specializes in such things--a general practitioner will simply tell you to stop deadlifting.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options