The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Male Muscle Growth > Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Real-Life Muscle Growth Experiences Got a friend who went from geek to stud? (Or was that YOU who got huge?) Share your real-life muscle growth experiences.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to Ragetiger's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 9th, 2010, 02:20 PM

Ragetiger is on a distinguished road
A feat of Strength

I finally had to start a thread for those to show off a little bit. What can anyone say, an ego stroke every once in a blue moon is a good thing.

Today I got into the mood to push some "extra" weight on leg press. That extra weight came in the form of 22 plates. 990 lbs plus the sled's weight of 50 lbs means a half ton being moved. Those were the hardest 5 reps ever.

Thinking next week I'm gonna add another 90 lbs to it, but that poor sled is running out of room for plates. 8 plates on each side and it looks like it can only hold 8 on the center platform.

Okay enough bragging, lets see others brag about thier feats of strength.

I do keep a few other shots in the scraps folder http://www.furaffinity.net/user/ragetiger/
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to Doctor9's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 9th, 2010, 06:13 PM

Doctor9 is on a distinguished road
Nice work, Ragetiger!

I'm trying to get up there myself -currently doing 20 plates for max (mind, you, I do leg press *after* squats, so I'm already a little fried)

I can't wait until the *plate* weight is over 1000lbs (24 plates) still a little more to go!

I can't brag about upper body strength, I'm much better on lower body.

Keep up the good work, and let us know when you add those 90 lbs

Doctor9
  #3   Add to Ragetiger's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 17th, 2010, 06:24 PM

1130 lbs

I wasn't trying to do it this week but after adding more reps to the 22plate, I just had to give it a shot. 24 total plates only three reps, but just for the fun of it, I gave a series of "mirco"reps. didn't count them, but thrilling to do. I know I'll push the weight a few more times when I tackle it.

I do keep a few other shots in the scraps folder http://www.furaffinity.net/user/ragetiger/
  #4   Add to WhoDunIt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 17th, 2010, 09:22 PM

WhoDunIt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to WhoDunIt
That is fun, huh

I'm not sure what's more of an ego boost, being able to do that, or the looks on peoples faces when you do....for multiple reps
  #5   Add to mewletter's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 18th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Truth-seeking Skeptic

mewletter is on a distinguished road
Now you making me envious...

Sadly I'm currently too pathetic to lift or move even a FIFTH of the weight you did for leg presses... My body just isn't built to move heavy stuff I guess. Still, a truly amazing feat of strength there.
  #6   Add to CelticMuscle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 18th, 2010, 09:09 AM

CelticMuscle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CelticMuscle Send a message via MSN to CelticMuscle Send a message via Yahoo to CelticMuscle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragetiger View Post
I wasn't trying to do it this week but after adding more reps to the 22plate, I just had to give it a shot. 24 total plates only three reps, but just for the fun of it, I gave a series of "mirco"reps. didn't count them, but thrilling to do. I know I'll push the weight a few more times when I tackle it.
Could I ask what the general reaction is of other people in the gym (or do you train at such a time the only other people there are amateur powerlifters who consider that weight a warm up)?
  #7   Add to ilimzn's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 18th, 2010, 11:35 AM

ilimzn is on a distinguished road
I've been doing ~1100-1150 \# for several years now, not really trying to increase the weight because it's a challenge to the machine and quite dangerous as it is.
The press at my gym has space for only 16 plates, 44# each. Actually it's a great machine made by Gym 80 here in Europe, that normally comes with 500kg (1100#) of it's own plates, 25kg (55#) per plate, and fits 20 of those. The gym here uses Life Fitness equipment so they also have LF plates for the press, those are thicker than the original ones so less fit on the machine.
My biggest limitation with this machine is that it gets twisted under the weight because it's not fixed to the floor and the floor is 2 layers of chipboard over asphalt, so it flexes. Depending on where they put the machine, at weights over about 800-850# you can actually see how it bends slightly, but because of it, you can't really find a proper position on it without feeling like you are doing 3/4 of the work with one leg or you get a truly bad feeling in your back.
There are only a couple of people that use close to this amount of weight, amongst the 1500+ members, and it's the largest and currently one of the top gyms in town (population about 1 million).
In order to use the weight, we use a trick - using two pieces of those extra stack weights (that look like small bricks you put on top of the stack in a machine to add a bit more weight) set into the sled to clear the rest of the construction, we put in an olympic bar, then add extra plates to the bar.
My current maximum is 16 plates on top, 44# of bar, 15# of 'bricks', and 10 plates on the bar, so around 1200#, for anything between 8 and 12 reps - the big variance in reps comes from how the machine bends and how well I can adapt to that. On days when everything sort of snaps right into place, 12 reps is not uncommon, but these do not happen that often. Also, my knees are not really in a good state so I have to do it quite slowly and in a very controlled fashion. The ost I have ever done is 580kg for 8 reps, which is only some 90# more. The most i have ever seen lifted on that machine is 1300# plus a 250# person sitting on top with two dumbbells equaling another 220# - for 4 reps. Big guy, two spotters, knee wraps etc

Do I get stares? Well, yes, from people who are new, sometimes it's funny when you can see them obviously waiting around to see if I'm actually going to do it once I spent a fair bit of time collecting all the plates around the gym. The rest have seen me do this for a couple of years now so they got used to it
  #8   Add to Ragetiger's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 18th, 2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticMuscle View Post
Could I ask what the general reaction is of other people in the gym (or do you train at such a time the only other people there are amateur powerlifters who consider that weight a warm up)?
Mostly I get them to pause at the sight of all those plates being taken. they really hate it when I start loading up the bar. I do get a few that drop their jaw. I think for now I'm gonna stay around the 700-800 lbs range. It more than enough and it's not as exhausting to return them when I'm done.

Oddly enough I don't see many people lifting quite as much as me, for leg press. I haven't see any other powerlifters in the gym either, then again In-Shape isn't a very big gym. But it does get the job done.

#9   Add to WhoDunIt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 18th, 2010, 10:45 PM

WhoDunIt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to WhoDunIt
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticMuscle View Post
Quote:
Mostly I get them to pause at the sight of all those plates being taken. they really hate it when I start loading up the bar. I do get a few that drop their jaw. I think for now I'm gonna stay around the 700-800 lbs range. It more than enough and it's not as exhausting to return them when I'm done.

Oddly enough I don't see many people lifting quite as much as me, for leg press. I haven't see any other powerlifters in the gym either, then again In-Shape isn't a very big gym. But it does get the job done.

My experience has been the same as Rage's, if his gym is like mine, even the 800lbs load get's some amazed looks when people "do the math" realize how much you have on there I'd occasionally get ribbed because a bunch of the 45 pounders kept going missing too Glad I'm not the only one who found putting the weights back a bit difficult afterward, although I'm not sure what was worse, trying to do so after the physical exertion, or just trying to remember where you got the damn things from in the first place
  #10   Add to ilimzn's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 19th, 2010, 05:51 AM

ilimzn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDunIt View Post
Glad I'm not the only one who found putting the weights back a bit difficult afterward, although I'm not sure what was worse, trying to do so after the physical exertion, or just trying to remember where you got the damn things from in the first place
Uh... YES, after doing the maximum, and in my case usually one or two strip sets (I do this rather than go for absolute max weight, to keep the effect high and danger lower), it's almost worse stripping the weight etc. and returning the plates back than doing another set with all of it
  #11   Add to chitownbber's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 30th, 2010, 07:35 PM

chitownbber is on a distinguished road
awesome! wish i could be there to not only see the looks / stares but to also here that wonderful sound of all that iron clanging intertwined with some grunting. ahhhhh the gym.

my ego boost is loading six plates on each side of an olympic bar for some 585 lb barbell shrugs on shoulder day,,,,,, i love how the bar starts to bend and i love the sound of all those plates banging and clanging and the sound of it all being slammed back on the rack at the end.

my gym is pretty hardcore so i fit right in

i watched the coolest ego boost the other day - one that i hope i get to experience myself some day..........

this big guy with huge arms was spotting a much smaller but muscular guy on the flat bench - there was a 45, and a 25 on each side ( 185 ) - - the spotter helps return the weight and when the smaller guy stood up and turned around to look at his spotter, the spotter started curling the weight and did that thing that all guys with great arms do - he looked at his own bi's as he curled the weight then looked to make sure the smaller guy was checking him out
  #12   Add to digger's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 1st, 2011, 11:11 AM

digger is on a distinguished road
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you lift at Quads in Chicago. I'll be in Chicago in mid-March--after a trip to Columbus for the Arnold. I plan to lift at Quads while there.

I haven't gotten to six plates yet on shrugs, just five. But I hang out around 4-to-4-1/2 these days. My traps are genetically a strong point so the bigger poundages aren't really necessary.

I certainly enjoy reaching new PRs in the gym, but I try not to let ego interfere: it's too easy a road to slipping form and injury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownbber View Post
awesome! wish i could be there to not only see the looks / stares but to also here that wonderful sound of all that iron clanging intertwined with some grunting. ahhhhh the gym.

my ego boost is loading six plates on each side of an olympic bar for some 585 lb barbell shrugs on shoulder day,,,,,, i love how the bar starts to bend and i love the sound of all those plates banging and clanging and the sound of it all being slammed back on the rack at the end.

my gym is pretty hardcore so i fit right in

i watched the coolest ego boost the other day - one that i hope i get to experience myself some day..........

this big guy with huge arms was spotting a much smaller but muscular guy on the flat bench - there was a 45, and a 25 on each side ( 185 ) - - the spotter helps return the weight and when the smaller guy stood up and turned around to look at his spotter, the spotter started curling the weight and did that thing that all guys with great arms do - he looked at his own bi's as he curled the weight then looked to make sure the smaller guy was checking him out
  #13   Add to Norsejock's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 1st, 2011, 05:40 PM

Norsejock is on a distinguished road
Deadlift

I can deadlift 505 lbs without straps.

I am sure I could deadlift more with straps cause my limiting factor right now is my grip. The pull feels strong but I just can't keep ahold of the damn bar.

My other lifts are good but not as strong as my dead.

I love throwin that number out.

btw ... 6'2'' 210
  #14   Add to hyooge's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 9th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Do more deadlifts

hyooge is on a distinguished road
That's awesome! I'd love to see someone pushing a half ton on the Leg Press.

I used to do heavy lifts on there (nothing near that number) but had to scale it back to prevent my knees getting screwed up.

I generally keep my weights lighter because I tend to build muscle faster with more reps and constant tension, but I still rock it out hard on the Standing Calf Raise. My gym's machine goes up to 300lb. I'll take my shoes off, get on that machine, and bust out 30 reps with the entire stack. It feels great! I usually get quite a few looks for it.

Quote:
I finally had to start a thread for those to show off a little bit. What can anyone say, an ego stroke every once in a blue moon is a good thing.

Today I got into the mood to push some "extra" weight on leg press. That extra weight came in the form of 22 plates. 990 lbs plus the sled's weight of 50 lbs means a half ton being moved. Those were the hardest 5 reps ever.

Thinking next week I'm gonna add another 90 lbs to it, but that poor sled is running out of room for plates. 8 plates on each side and it looks like it can only hold 8 on the center platform.

#15   Add to Doctor9's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 27th, 2012, 09:00 AM

Doctor9 is on a distinguished road
I really should have posted this a month and half ago - just forgot about the initial post Ragetiger....I made it to 22 plates...plus 2 x 5 just to make a nice round number. So 1000 lbs on the sled...plus sled weight on the inclined leg press. Not bad for a 40-year old, 6'1", 227lber...all things considered. Only getting 4 or so reps on a good day...but working towards the day I can add the next 90....or 180...or...

I also *sometimes* get an odd look or two...not very often....but sometimes - usually younger guys who don't train legs much....

Doctor9
  #16   Add to BBMikeNJ's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 27th, 2012, 01:46 PM

BBMikeNJ is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to BBMikeNJ Send a message via Yahoo to BBMikeNJ
I like your goal numbers, Doc9. I've recently worked up to 900 on the leg press, and, like you, sometimes get looks from younger guys. Which, at 54yo, is almost everyone at the gym. They look like they think it's a trick for an geezer like me to be doing reps with almost half a ton.
  #17   Add to arpeejay's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 27th, 2012, 02:26 PM

Thanked 1,306 Times in 371 Posts
arpeejay will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to arpeejay
It's been a couple of years now but I remember the first time I squatted more than 400 lbs. for reps. My young, very buff, very handsome trainer said, "Well, you're out of my league, that's for sure."

xoxo

Richard
  #18   Add to Ragetiger's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 27th, 2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMikeNJ View Post
I like your goal numbers, Doc9. I've recently worked up to 900 on the leg press, and, like you, sometimes get looks from younger guys. Which, at 54yo, is almost everyone at the gym. They look like they think it's a trick for an geezer like me to be doing reps with almost half a ton.
Grats on your heavy lift, I'm sure soon you'll hit that half ton sooner than you think. It's mind over matter. Anyways, keep up the great work.

#19   Add to stronguns's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 31st, 2012, 09:45 PM

stronguns is on a distinguished road
Due to a car accident some years ago I had a hip replacement so must be careful doing leg presses. I've done up to 800 pounds and I felt some give in the hip so decided to back off. So I let my nephew and workout partner do the leg presses. He does 1100 on a good day, but usually keeps around 900-1000. I do a 550 bench and he does the leg presses.
  #20   Add to Brahma's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 31st, 2012, 10:38 PM
Minotaur

Brahma
Quote:
Originally Posted by stronguns View Post
I do a 550 bench and he does the leg presses.
Goodness. A 550 pound bench press is very impressive. I hope one day I can get up there in strength.
  #21   Add to stronguns's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 2nd, 2012, 08:39 PM

stronguns is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahma View Post
Goodness. A 550 pound bench press is very impressive. I hope one day I can get up there in strength.
It's not something I do on a regular basis. just too hard on the joints. Usually keep to a 450 max.

What I would like to do is arm wrestle Lorenzo Backer. With those arms of his I'm not sure I could take him.
  #22   Add to Brahma's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:38 PM
Minotaur

Brahma
Quote:
Originally Posted by stronguns View Post
It's not something I do on a regular basis. just too hard on the joints. Usually keep to a 450 max.
450 max is still better than most people I know, and I know some who can bench 300 pounds.
  #23   Add to Ragetiger's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 21st, 2012, 03:45 PM

http://youtu.be/TthfRnHtHsw BAM my first video of my own feat of strength, just need to figure out a better way to do this.

#24   Add to Brahma's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 21st, 2012, 09:11 PM
Minotaur

Brahma
That's a 45 degree angle, isn't it?
  #25   Add to Ragetiger's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 21st, 2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahma View Post
That's a 45 degree angle, isn't it?
yeah. just wish i could have found a place to set the camera to allow a more unobstructed view.

#26   Add to nnnrg's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 22nd, 2012, 10:12 AM

nnnrg is on a distinguished road
So that's a nice one-rep max anyway You could set it on your chest, or get a "gorilla stand" for your camera off of thinkgeek.
  #27   Add to Ragetiger's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 22nd, 2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnnrg View Post
So that's a nice one-rep max anyway You could set it on your chest, or get a "gorilla stand" for your camera off of thinkgeek.
hehe last week I moved it for 3 reps, but I cramped up for some odd reason this time. I'll be trying again in a month. I might be lucky enough to have a fellow lifter do the taping next time.

#28   Add to tram250's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 22nd, 2012, 07:43 PM

tram250 is on a distinguished road
squat

I squatted 545 yesterday for 6 reps. I didn't quite make it to parallel on the first rep, but all other reps were low enough. No knee wraps, either (foolish, perhaps).
  #29   Add to Jack of Blades's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 24th, 2012, 08:47 AM

Jack of Blades is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Not usually one to comment on these threads as I don't really have anything to contribute strength-wise, but I just had to say...
A friend of mine from another site (who I have encouraged to join here as he'd fit right in) recently managed to do the same thing, reach a half ton at leg presses. All I can say is very well done to both him and you. And of course wonder what such powerful legs could do :P

"So did I, which at least proved I wasn't. Then I decided I was a lemon for a while. I kept myself amused jumping in and out of a Gin and Tonic."

"Where did you find a Gin and Tonic?"

"Weell.. I didn't. I found a small lake that thought it was a Gin and Tonic and jumped in and out of that. At least I think it thought it was a Gin and Tonic."

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options