The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Add to Kreyn's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 10th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Europeans do it better

Kreyn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Kreyn Send a message via Skype™ to Kreyn
Back thickness

Hey guys. What have you found to work best for adding thickness to the back? I've been able to widen my back a bit, but I'm looking for more thickness. My stubborn back seems to want to stay flat. LOL

Motivation comes from within.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to Aielyn's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 10th, 2011, 06:49 PM

Aielyn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreyn View Post
Hey guys. What have you found to work best for adding thickness to the back? I've been able to widen my back a bit, but I'm looking for more thickness. My stubborn back seems to want to stay flat. LOL
The general rule is, you'll get the best impact using free weights. Specifically, I'd recommend bent-over barbell rows and normal deadlifts. Make sure you're using perfect form on both, especially the deadlifts (make sure you roll the shoulders all the way back at the top and hold, to get the maximal upper-back work).

You can also do pull ups/chin ups, but I'd expect that they mostly widen the back, rather than thickening it.

Failing those, one-arm dumbbell rows and cable-based seated rows should help (avoid machines), and you might also consider stiff-armed cable pulldown (on a cable, using a bar attachment, stand with arms very slightly bent with hands on the bar at about eye height, then pull down without bending your arms until the bar is at your waist).
  #3   Add to Kreyn's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 10th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Europeans do it better

Kreyn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Kreyn Send a message via Skype™ to Kreyn
Thanks for the input Aielyn! I usually try to stay away from deadlifts because I'm not wanting to widen my waist.

I tend to go for dumbbells when it comes to bent over rows. Is there much of a difference between the two? With an exception of squats (for obvious reasons), I always prefer to do the dumbbell version of exercises instead. I'll give the barbell a try though and see how it works for me.

Motivation comes from within.
  #4   Add to dodoria21's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 10th, 2011, 10:15 PM
growing muscle guy

dodoria21 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to dodoria21
I'd say there should be no difference between bent over dbell vs. barbell rows. I use dumbbells myself, and I like it that way. I'm a fan of doing what feels best for you
  #5   Add to suma's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 10th, 2011, 10:29 PM

suma is on a distinguished road
thickness in the back and that layered 3D look of the back that some great bbers display, can be quite difficult to obtain, due mainly to genetics.
Most guys develop the wideness.
I'd say keep working at it with all the sensible routines out there. Remember the various muscles of the back are some of the body's biggest, therefore it's gonna take a lot of stress & pounding to get them to respond and grow.
  #6   Add to Aielyn's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 11th, 2011, 04:45 AM

Aielyn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreyn View Post
Thanks for the input Aielyn! I usually try to stay away from deadlifts because I'm not wanting to widen my waist.

I tend to go for dumbbells when it comes to bent over rows. Is there much of a difference between the two? With an exception of squats (for obvious reasons), I always prefer to do the dumbbell version of exercises instead. I'll give the barbell a try though and see how it works for me.
I don't see why deadlifts would "widen" the waist. The muscles controlling the wideness of the waist would be the obliques, not the lower back. But I could be wrong.

As for dumbbells vs barbells, it should be OK to do dumbbells. The reason I go for barbells is form - with the hands locked in position, it is easy to force your elbows to remain close to your torso, whereas with dumbbells you're more likely to let the elbows flare out.

Make sure you bring the dumbbell up to your waist, and not your chest. If you're doing one side at a time, try not to twist too much as you do it - it should be your back, and not your abs/obliques doing the work (optimally, you wouldn't twist at all... but it's not easy).

Dumbbells are often the better choice in exercises... but it is my opinion that rows are an exception, because you really don't want to risk damaging your spine during the movement. Kind of like how, if you do deadlifts, you need to avoid hunching over at all - keep your back straight or have your chest slightly out.
  #7   Add to THE BODYBUILDING GIANT's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 13th, 2011, 10:54 AM

THE BODYBUILDING GIANT is on a distinguished road
deadifts deadlifts deadlifts
  #8   Add to pusher's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 19th, 2011, 05:01 AM

pusher is on a distinguished road
deadlifts would be right
  #9   Add to FRNKPBDY's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 26th, 2011, 05:47 AM

FRNKPBDY is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FRNKPBDY
RE: Back Thickness

You need to do bent over rows and deadlifts. Pay close attention to form whren you do them as well.

Frank
  #10   Add to inflated's Reputation   Report Post  
Old December 27th, 2011, 11:23 AM

inflated is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan View Post
deadifts deadlifts deadlifts

I agree ----

Quick Reply
Bold