The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Diet & Nutrition
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Diet & Nutrition What you need to eat in order to grow.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to dhalden's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 13th, 2012, 05:35 PM

dhalden is on a distinguished road
Thoughts on weight gainers?

I've recently begun thinking that I may add a weight gainer to my diet. Presently I'm trying to slim down for spring, so I wouldn't actually use any weight gainer until late summer or early fall when I begin my next bulk phase, but I just thought I'd go ahead and ask.

Testimonies? Do they work? Not work? Worthwhile? Favorite brands?

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to musclekid7's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 13th, 2012, 06:50 PM

musclekid7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhalden View Post
I've recently begun thinking that I may add a weight gainer to my diet. Presently I'm trying to slim down for spring, so I wouldn't actually use any weight gainer until late summer or early fall when I begin my next bulk phase, but I just thought I'd go ahead and ask.

Thanks!
Personally I prefer to eat whole foods, and that's my recommendation. It's not that gainers "work" or "don't work": they are exactly what they claim to be, a shit-ton of calories. They work if your total calorie intake is consistently above what you need to gain, and they don't if you're below that.

I did use cytogainer several years ago: it did nothing because I didn't know anything about nutrition, and used it thoughtlessly. Cookies n' cream tasted alright. Burgers/steaks/fried chicken tastes better.

Or if you want easy, fast, no-cook calories, I recommend peanut butter or ice cream (yum)....
  #3   Add to dhalden's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 13th, 2012, 08:54 PM

Thanks!

I feel that come bulk-time, I'll be doing a fairly clean-bulk. As you said though, it is making sure I've taken in the surplus of calories from whole foods first. We'll just have to see!

Anyone else? Any success (or lack of) from weight gainers?
  #4   Add to FuzzyKB's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 15th, 2012, 04:17 AM

FuzzyKB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhalden View Post

Thanks!

The use of weight gaining supplements is a personal choice. I person who has problems eating enough to increase the caloric intake enough absolutely needs them and the methods for gaining muscle effectively are different for different people.

Last year we did a really heavy duty bulking cycle with my kid. Remember that the calories and to some degree nutrients are stored as fat. The fat is then broken down as fuel to build the muscle. There is a trick with this one in that you have to be able to work off the fat and this creates a "yo-yo" in weight. Some bodybuilders do very well with this and others do not.

If you gain weight easily you would need some supplements that would be beneficial but high calorie weight gainers are not necessarily for everyone.

The other thing with weight gainers is that to make these work effectively for a time you have to think less like a physique champion and more like a powerlifter. The weight you lift has to be very heavy and you must push yourself to limits that are very high. If you cannot do that easily then again the high calorie gainers may be a bad idea.

There is another thing that can be done. If you are one who is prone to stretch marks short gainer bulking cycles can stretch the skin and make some room for the muscle to grow into. What then happens is that the stretch marks at the armpits for the pecs and a few other places tend to be faded and far less pronounced once you hit your stride.

The other thing with gainers that can be advantageous is that they tend to set weight and food requirements higher. The last bulking diet reset the kid to 180 pounds and he easily maintains that weight on a 5'5" frame. We had to go to 225 to get the weight to reset that high but in his case this had advantages.

There is no single rule and you have to really and seriously sit down and plan a strategy knowing what your limitations are and then you try and compensate for those limitations every way you can both by exercise and by nutritional requirements.

Good Luck
  #5   Add to dhalden's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 15th, 2012, 07:23 AM

Awesome info! I'll definitely be taking it into account.

Thanks.
  #6   Add to FRNKPBDY's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 18th, 2012, 04:40 PM

FRNKPBDY is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FRNKPBDY
Thoughts on weight gainers

Hey

From my experience it's better to eat whole nutritious foods. Not that weight gainers don't work, but they are sometimes expensive and not as good as quality foods. If you want to gain weight, eat foods that are high in good carbs--whole wheat breads, steel cut oats, shredded wheat. Eat quality cuts of lean meats, chicken and fish. Use extra virgin olive oil--source of healthy fat and plenty of eggs. Bananas will also help you bulk up. Be sure to increase the food portions. Eating more food along with following a good exercise routine--following proper form--will help you put on the weight. Hope this helps!

Frank
  #7   Add to dhalden's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 18th, 2012, 05:49 PM

Awesome tips, guys. I'll definitely keep these in mind as I consider my future nutritious intake. Thanks, again.
  #8   Add to inm's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 18th, 2012, 11:30 PM

inm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to inm
From what I read, gainers are problematic, since they contain low quality calories. the carbs are sugars, the fats are not good quality etc.
I'd say, get whey protein, mix in oats. I'd like to say pour in olive oil, but I doubt it will taste good.. so add caloric dense foods: nuts, red meat.
Pour olive oil on salads, rice.. anything you can think of.

If you burn calories so much that you need a gainer, fast food is not out of the question for you, IMO. Use the protein powder to make sure you get enough protein that meal, and go for a big pizza. (yes, pour olive oil on that, too! it tastes good )
  #9   Add to AlphaCanisLupus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 5th, 2012, 11:46 AM

AlphaCanisLupus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to AlphaCanisLupus
I use the "Mega Mass 4000" from Weider Germany, because since I can't eat everything due mine gluten- and histaminintolerance and don't gain weight that easy. I just don't use it when I'm ill to avoid gaining more fat then muscles. But a whole meal is a very important thing in training, never just rely on supplements.
  #10   Add to kyle's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 4th, 2012, 08:52 PM

kyle is on a distinguished road
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by inm View Post
From what I read, gainers are problematic, since they contain low quality calories. the carbs are sugars, the fats are not good quality etc.
I'd say, get whey protein, mix in oats. I'd like to say pour in olive oil, but I doubt it will taste good.. so add caloric dense foods: nuts, red meat.
Pour olive oil on salads, rice.. anything you can think of.

If you burn calories so much that you need a gainer, fast food is not out of the question for you, IMO. Use the protein powder to make sure you get enough protein that meal, and go for a big pizza. (yes, pour olive oil on that, too! it tastes good )
Thanks for the useful tips it was surely helpful to me. GO Green gys

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options