The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Off-Topic > Site News, Feedback & Suggestions
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Site News, Feedback & Suggestions For discussion related to forum itself, including features, feedback and suggestions.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 2.20 average. Display Modes
  #1   Add to jman250's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 28th, 2012, 11:53 PM

jman250 is on a distinguished road
A "Thank You" button

First off, this site is awesome. I've loved it for years (and years and years under various lurker accounts).

One thing that's struck me as odd over time is how few people respond to stories (or artwork, or YouTube links, etc) just to say "thanks!" I think a lot of people think that some sort of long post explaining what a story means to them is necessary, but I believe most authors would greatly appreciate having as little as a "thank you" for the hours (and hours) they spend writing.

Obviously, we don't want to clutter the forum with two word posts, but I think it would greatly help author (and similar) moral.

Lots of sites have "Thank you" or "Like" buttons (although, I personally would stay away from like). I believe vBulletin even has some extensions for this purpose. Can I suggest implementing some sort of "Thank you" solution? I think some don't even bump the thread!

I Googled quickly and came up with http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=165673 (I think that's the right version) but I'm sure there are more.

I know I would "Thank you" more stories if it were a simple button click!

Here's to moving forward. "Thank you."
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to jman250 For This Useful Post:
19musclefan (June 4th, 2013), emsgdh (October 16th, 2012), filedeleted_000 (October 14th, 2012), fleXodus (October 10th, 2012), inm (October 13th, 2012), Lover_Boy (October 12th, 2012), Lucas88 (October 10th, 2012), MuscleHintz (October 11th, 2012), paguy79 (October 17th, 2012), renbear (October 11th, 2012), Terrylee Long (October 12th, 2012), Xyggurat (October 10th, 2012), ydt81 (October 12th, 2012)
  #2   Add to Xyggurat's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 29th, 2012, 10:17 AM

Xyggurat will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman250 View Post
First off, this site is awesome. I've loved it for years (and years and years under various lurker accounts).

One thing that's struck me as odd over time is how few people respond to stories (or artwork, or YouTube links, etc) just to say "thanks!" I think a lot of people think that some sort of long post explaining what a story means to them is necessary, but I believe most authors would greatly appreciate having as little as a "thank you" for the hours (and hours) they spend writing.

Obviously, we don't want to clutter the forum with two word posts, but I think it would greatly help author (and similar) moral.

Lots of sites have "Thank you" or "Like" buttons (although, I personally would stay away from like). I believe vBulletin even has some extensions for this purpose. Can I suggest implementing some sort of "Thank you" solution? I think some don't even bump the thread!

I Googled quickly and came up with http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=165673 (I think that's the right version) but I'm sure there are more.

I know I would "Thank you" more stories if it were a simple button click!

Here's to moving forward. "Thank you."
Heck, I'd be content with a "+1" now and then. MGS has felt a little anemic in terms of new story flow for a while, and I think largely the slack benefit-to-effort ratio is part of this. You spend 4 or 5 hours working on a chapter, only to have very few responses out of the hundreds or thousands of reads, and you say, "Hey, if they don't care, why should I?"

-X-
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Xyggurat For This Useful Post:
Terrylee Long (October 12th, 2012)
  #3   Add to ydt81's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 20th, 2012, 11:09 PM

ydt81 is on a distinguished road
+1 on this.

I really think his is a great idea. It's unfortunate how few authors visit this section so it might take a while for the idea to catch on but every author/artist appreciates positive feedback in any form, especially in areas where that is really the only form of payment you'll ever be getting for the work put in. The rating system is nice, but definitely doesn't have the same effect as it currently seems. Just indicate the opinion of any one person that came along with a 5* rating.

I really hope this 'thank you' button picks up speed!
The Following User Says Thank You to ydt81 For This Useful Post:
  #4   Add to Rowan's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 1st, 2012, 08:49 PM

Rowan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Rowan
Oh dude. A +1 option would be cool! I read a lot of stories, but I suck at commenting. A button like that would be handy.

"And so, may Evil beware and may Good dress warmly and eat lots of fresh vegetables."
-The Tick
The Following User Says Thank You to Rowan For This Useful Post:
  #5   Add to Xyggurat's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 9th, 2012, 10:29 PM

Flexodus or mods, it would be super nice to hear back from you guys regarding this suggestion. I have it on good authority that Rowan and I will do Bambi-eyes at you until you implement it. Thoughts?

-X-
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xyggurat For This Useful Post:
fleXodus (October 10th, 2012), Terrylee Long (October 12th, 2012)
  #6   Add to fleXodus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 10th, 2012, 02:14 AM
MuscleGrowth.org

fleXodus is on a distinguished road
It's installed!

Thanks for the great suggestion and for your patience.

-flexodus
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to fleXodus For This Useful Post: Remove Your Thanks
bulgo (October 10th, 2012), filedeleted_000 (October 14th, 2012), jman250 (October 11th, 2012), Lucas88 (October 10th, 2012), MuscleHintz (October 11th, 2012), renbear (October 11th, 2012), Rowan (October 11th, 2012), sonic260 (October 10th, 2012), Terrylee Long (October 12th, 2012), wanthugemass (October 12th, 2012), Xyggurat (October 10th, 2012)
  #7   Add to Xyggurat's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 10th, 2012, 07:41 AM

Thanks for taking care of it, sir, and thanks to jman250 for the initial suggestion.

-X-

Last edited by Xyggurat; October 10th, 2012 at 09:40 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xyggurat For This Useful Post:
Rowan (October 12th, 2012), Terrylee Long (October 12th, 2012)
  #8   Add to ydt81's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 12th, 2012, 03:08 PM

ydt81 is on a distinguished road
Giddy.

I'm not sure which excites me more -- the thank you button itself or having yet more evidence of a moderator that listens to our feedback
Thanks very much fleXodus. Brilliant suggestion jman250!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options