The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to inflated's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 28th, 2012, 10:10 AM

inflated is on a distinguished road
Heavy squats =

Heavy squats with good form are the best overall exercise, and although they do not work the arms, heavy squats increase arm growth. A caveat if you like to wear skinny jeans heavy squats will make this an impossibility. Also heavy squats will give you squatters butt---if you are genetically predisposed. Heavy squats are also a good cardiovascular exercise you should barely be able to get enough oxygen when you do a set of heavy squats.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to monstermusclebe's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 28th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Markus

monstermusclebe is on a distinguished road
Yes, and...

As the Quad Off thread shows, as well as the fact that professional bodybuilders these days comment on "heavy, long sets with high reps" for growing quads, it's clear that high repetitions often make the difference in quad growth, if you want them to get freaky big.

I would think that heavy sets is important for overall body growth and for psyching the body as a whole up for handling heavy weights, whatever muscle is being worked. There is something about heavy squats that activates the whole body.

But it seems that high rep squats are often what will turn big quads into giant ones.
  #3   Add to Gene's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 30th, 2012, 12:49 PM

Gene is on a distinguished road
Good advice!

Speaking from long painful experience, heavy squats should not be done at low reps. If you're going to stress your huge quad muscles to get them to grow, let them tire-out gradually after several reps. Don't get macho and try to get some fantasticly huge number of pounds (kilos) on the bar to impress your buddies with one or two big squats that exceeds the strength of your knee and/or groin ligaments. (* ouch *).

I still remember the day that I felt a slight tearing. That was 20 years ago and for 18 of those years I coped with ever increasing discomfort. Now I can hardly walk more than 30 minutes a day and suffer for two days after a trip to the mall.

I knew in my heart that my policy of using not overly heavy weights, lifted carefully, and always under control was the way to reliable gains but one day I let my ego override my brain and heart.

Rule of thumb: "Stay in control of the weights!"

PS: I know this advice will not be absorbed by many of the readers out there but you've been warned.
  #4   Add to monstermusclebe's Reputation   Report Post  
Old July 31st, 2012, 03:21 PM
Markus

monstermusclebe is on a distinguished road
Squats Advantages

Squats are the number one exercise for overall body growth. The thighs themselves are the largest muscles of the body. Squats works them primarily, but they also work the hamstrings and the glutes, plus your core and upper body become engaged with squats as well. Your need your entire body to do squats.

I know when I do squats that after an intense set I can barely think. I can barely move. My willingness to keep going back for more, and to psych myself back up for another intense set, teaches my whole body ~ most especially my mind ~ that I can handle intensity. It teaches me how to become hungry for more intensity throughout my entire body. It teaches me how to become more able to lift heavier on my bench press, and with my back (which is right now my weak area). It teaches me (former swimmer nerd) how to feel like an uber-male. :-)

There is some evidence that doing squats causes the body to produce more testosterone. I know that after a leg day I DO tend to feel hornier, so perhaps there is truth to it.

There are probably other benefits.
  #5   Add to inflated's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 16th, 2014, 07:30 AM

inflated is on a distinguished road
Higher reps with perfect form are the ideal for squats and you can continually go heavier as long as you are able to: 1. keep perfect form, 2. do higher reps at the heavier weight, and you have strengthened your core muscles to accommodate the heavier weight lifted. Strong abdominals are necessary for squats.
  #6   Add to Toro's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 17th, 2014, 10:47 AM

Toro is on a distinguished road
I will try this piece of advice since lately my quads do not seem to grow as much as I'd like them to do.
I will reduce the weight and increase the reps
(at the present time I am squatting 440lbs for 10 reps)
  #7   Add to The Magus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 17th, 2014, 11:35 AM

The Magus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to The Magus
I think heavy squats have a place in bodybuilding. But you should do then strategically. I believe in heavy lifts to build strength. If your overall strength increases you should be able to move more overall volume when doing high reps for size.
  #8   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 17th, 2014, 12:48 PM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Heavy Squats are DEFINITELY effective....

..but if you can't do them/are leery of doing them,
lunges, both with just bodyweight and with weights (either dumbbells in either hand or a bar across your shoulder) are very effective!

Heck, even squats with just bodyweight really work your quads and butt!

Mdlftr

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options