Notices

General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to bigmag2's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 1st, 2012, 07:54 PM

bigmag2 is on a distinguished road
New lifter advice

Hey guys,

I've been training on and off again for the past year but have not really gotten serious about it until now. Today my roommate and I am have decided to dedicate ourselves to get up everyday at 6 and go to the gym. We're in college so we have access to a full gym. Does anyone know any good weeklong workouts we can try? We are both pretty new at lifting and we're going so early so we can get used to the machines without making fools of ourselves. We really (especially me) wanna bulk up and we are prepared to take it slow. We have time for at least up to 1 hour a day of lifting. Thanks guys, hope you can help get us huge!
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to Xyggurat's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 1st, 2012, 08:11 PM

Xyggurat will become famous soon enough
So, I'll throw out some of the advice that was given to me when I first started lifting seriously, almost a year ago:

1) For your first few weeks of working out, just get used to going. I wouldn't start off on most so-called beginner plans as long as you know a basic set of exercises for each body part. If you absolutely, positively need a plan to follow, check out bodybuilding.com and pick one at random!

2) Make sure that your gym visits are as pleasant as humanly possible, or you'll stop going. For example, I don't schedule my gym time first thing in the morning because I hate mornings. I don't go right after work because I hate people. Find the time that fits best with your schedule already and go consistently.

3) Be consistent and don't punish yourself. Settle on a number of days a week that can fit with your schedule and make every workout. If you miss one due to an emergency, don't try doubling up the next day, or tripling after a second missed day, etc.

4) This one worked for me: start with a mix of free weights and machines, and slowly graduate toward free weights and body weight workouts.

5) Eat.

-X-
  #3   Add to bigmag2's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 1st, 2012, 09:22 PM

thanks

the mornings are really the best time for us to go. i've looked on bodybuilding.com and i can't seem to find anything really rudimentary enough. also if i want to do 5 days a week what do i do on saturdays and sundays. like how does that work? Do you eat before or after your workout? sorry for these dumb questions
  #4   Add to ARCHEON's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 1st, 2012, 09:29 PM
Registered Abs User

ARCHEON
Send a message via AIM to ARCHEON
Have you tried the Max-OT program? Since you have a workout partner who can spot you, then this might be the ticket. Go to the AST-Sports Science website and register (it's free). You'll get access to a 12-week instruction program based on a 5-day workout routine. And remember, recuperation is just as important as training. It's the way your muscles grow.

This program works for me. Check it out and see what you think. Good luck!
  #5   Add to bigmag2's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 1st, 2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCHEON View Post
Have you tried the Max-OT program? Since you have a workout partner who can spot you, then this might be the ticket. Go to the AST-Sports Science website and register (it's free). You'll get access to a 12-week instruction program based on a 5-day workout routine. And remember, recuperation is just as important as training. It's the way your muscles grow.

This program works for me. Check it out and see what you think. Good luck!
wait...i'm not sure if this is spam or not...?
  #6   Add to dodoria21's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 1st, 2012, 10:01 PM
growing muscle guy

dodoria21 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to dodoria21
What I did when I started out was full body workouts. I did a couple exercises per muscle group. kept the weight light enough to manage 10-12 reps and get used to the form. I personally started with working out two days, then taking a day off, then two more days, then the weekend off. Eventually that middle day (usually wednesday) became a leg day.

My personal advice is just worry about making it to the gym each day. Keep pushing through the initial DOMS and pain that you'll be feeling, even if you have to lighten the weight up even more. As long as you keep the blood flowing. Get yourself used to working out. Worry about diet later. I found if I tried taking on all aspects of working out and dieting at once I got overwhelmed. taking it one step at a time allowed me to master one thing at a time, and therefore every new step wasn't as overwhelming.

Hope this helps you out. Good luck!
  #7   Add to The Magus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 2nd, 2012, 05:39 AM

The Magus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to The Magus
I just started with a personal trainer last month, and he's been giving me a lot of great tips. As far as food, you want to make sure you're getting protein in the morning. When you wake up, your body was basically fasting for 8 hours, so you want something it can process quickly (like a protein shake) first thing.

You also want to have a protein shake as soon after you work out as possible, again to give your body some raw materials to work with. My trainer recommended a post-workout shake and a piece of fruit. A little later, have a bigger meal high in protein and nutrients (so, I'll have chicken and sweet potato and greens, for example).

Last, you should have a solid protein in your belly before you go to bed, like a piece of chicken or pork chop or something.

In addition, you should be eating a small meal every 3 hours or so throughout the day. Get a variety of foods, especially vegetables, and try to get a lot of protein.
  #8   Add to ARCHEON's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 2nd, 2012, 08:34 AM
Registered Abs User

ARCHEON
Send a message via AIM to ARCHEON
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmag2 View Post
wait...i'm not sure if this is spam or not...?
LOL! Sorry about that bigmag. Well, that's the first time my posts have been considered spam! I guess there's a first time for everything. But now that I've re-read my own post, it does look a littly spammy. That said, you were looking for a 7-day workout routine and this, I believe, is one of the better 5-day programs. I usually don't promote anything.

Good luck on your decision and whatever routine you choose. The first step is just to get into the gym.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options