The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Off-Topic > News & Current Events
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Add to raven79's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 5th, 2012, 09:51 PM
The Insatiable Poster

Thanked 2,032 Times in 861 Posts
raven79 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to raven79
Job Numbers Help Obama or Just Stop Romney Bounce?

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/the-daily-rundown/49301199

You decide because this has been one of the craziest election cycles I have seen in recent memory.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 8th, 2012, 06:45 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
I think it's a bit of both...

The fact that the unemployment rate dropped below 8% starting in August deprives Romney of one of his big talking points.

Problem is, for Romney, that he doesn't assert any policies that he would implement himself. His whole campaign seemed to be based on a variation of,
1. Anybody but Obama
2. Obama is not doing a "good enough" job - I'll do it better.
3. Trust me on how I'm going to accomplish it. Details will come later.

This strategy reminds me of the ABBB approach in the 2004 election with John Kerry as the Democratic candidate. "Anybody but Bush" couldn't get the message to voters about WHAT the specifics were. The basic platform was, "We get rid of George Bush, and then....???"

Incumbents have a tremendous advantage in most elections. Obama has proven that he is effective. He's not a "cowboy blowhard" like Bush, and he's not a serial flip flopper like Romney who changes his positions every 5 minutes.

This election is hotly contested. Anything can happen in 3 weeks. The rumor of an "October surprise" is always lurking == some "game changer" that will "blow the race wide open" before the election.

Yeah, well,we'll see.....

Mdlftr
  #3   Add to GoliathCA's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 8th, 2012, 03:45 PM

GoliathCA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to GoliathCA Send a message via Yahoo to GoliathCA
The numbers they're using don't count people who've exhausted unemployment benefits, people who've stopped looking and given up. Also counts under-employed, such as only working part time when previously had full time job. Actual unemployment numbers are close to what it was during Great Depression. Need to look at U6 number
  #4   Add to raven79's Reputation   Report Post  
Old October 10th, 2012, 09:38 PM
The Insatiable Poster

Thanked 2,032 Times in 861 Posts
raven79 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to raven79
I know you are right Goliath, but Obama has to do what he has to to win this election and we don't need a man who doesn't say anything to us because he doesn't care to run our country. (Romney)

The only reason this election is even close is because Obama is so controversial and he isn't a white man. If he was white, this would be no contest. I am no fan of Obama, but he is 1000% better than Romney and 10000% better than Ryan. These guys are prepared to set the gay community back decades if they get in as well as women.

I hope Biden doesn't make a fool of himself Thursday and Obama gets his act together next week because we can't afford another term of Bush policies.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options