You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to RunIt's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 6th, 2012, 07:56 PM

RunIt is on a distinguished road
Questions for the big guy at the gym

I work shift work, so I manage to get my workouts in at low traffic times in my gym. I'm also a beginner, just 3 weeks of being a regular. Sometimes I have questions about form, weight increases, machines, etc. When I have these questions, I always ask whoever's around me. Lucky for me (I picked this gym on purpose), there's a lot of thick guys that work out there. I never interupt in the middle of their sets, but I feel like I am asking a lot of questions.
I guess what I am asking you guys is what's too much? Is there etiquette on asking for spotters, or training questions?
Also, if you are a big guy, do you find the weak beginner guy annoying when he asks all these questions? (follow up, is it worse if I am sporting a bulge while I'm asking?)
thanks ahead of the time for the insight
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to Rarity's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 6th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Muscles go with anything~

Rarity is on a distinguished road
My boyfriend is a sweetheart, so he answered these for me. I'll just paraphrase because his text messages are atrocious to read. Yet I put up with it. THAT'S REAL LOVE! Er, anyway. . . Let me translate this to the best of my abilities.

He's somewhat flattered when smaller guys ask him how to do properly do things around the gym; it's like having an indirect acknowledgement towards his muscles, progress, and form. Sometimes he gets annoyed if he gets asked a lot or if spotting cuts into his workout session time, but he's fine with giving advice since he can usually workout at the same time. Also, a lot of the time when he's near the end of his workout session he gets easily agitated and is pretty quiet/overly focused on what he's doing, so he doesn't like to be bothered. (I guess that's due to testosterone being released during the previous exercises - many guys might be like this then?)

Asking for a spotter is not very hard. Take a quick survey of who's in the weight room and look for candidates. Folks would be happy to be your spotter if you meet the following conditions:
1) They are nearby
2) They are in between reps/are resting up
3) You ask politely and say something like:
". . . I'm just going to do X reps"
"I can help spot you too if you want."
"I need a lift to start it off."
4) Only ask for a spotter unless it's for squats, since squat spotting is only effective with two people. It's pretty hard to find two people to help you, and makes things kind of awkward in his opinion.

You can usually tell which people to avoid. If a guy is scowling or glaring- that's not a guy to ask for spotting. Just work on getting better at reading people to see who to avoid and who not to avoid. He thinks guys to avoid just give off an intimidating and angry aura. He says you should avoid the REALLY big guys because they'd most likely be aggressive during their workout session. Looking for someone around your size is best, since that means you can be his spotter too.

He says having a random bulge is far from abnormal while lifting weights, but it's not like every guy is running around with an erection. It still doesn't make things less awkward. Some guys are extremely homophobic and don't take too kindly to guys with erections. He also says that wearing a jock strap under some basketball shorts works wonders. The jockstrap isolates the bulging and keeps it in place. Basketball shorts are long and roomy, so it's easy to hide things in them. He's a 'big' guy, so if it works for him, it'll work for most guys.

Hope that helps. I think that's right. This stuff is some srs scurry bsns to read. By the way, this link is what he first used to teach himself how to do proper exercise techniques. I think he got diet advice from that site too.
  #3   Add to newmus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 6th, 2012, 10:29 PM

newmus is on a distinguished road
although i'm not really that big i think i'm big enough that your questions could apply to me: as long as your polite and respectful there shouldn't be any problem with your many questions. just make sure that you can pick out the ones who not only don't mind answering questions but kind of like it. always ask between sets and it would be great if you could pick up when someone is doing a timed rest vs. an untimed rest. i generally don't mind when i'm doing timed rests but would prefer if people approached me when i'm doing untimed rests.
as for the bulge... no bulges please. pay attention to the bulging muscle man's form not his gorgeous muscles. that analytical thinking should keep you flaccid enough to approach him with out any awkward and embarrassing protrusions.
  #4   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 7th, 2012, 04:41 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ★whim★ View Post
Asking for a spotter is not very hard. Take a quick survey of who's in the weight room and look for candidates. Folks would be happy to be your spotter if you meet the following conditions:
1) They are nearby
2) They are in between reps/are resting up
3) You ask politely and say something like:
". . . I'm just going to do X reps"
"I can help spot you too if you want."
"I need a lift to start it off."
4) Only ask for a spotter unless it's for squats, since squat spotting is only effective with two people. It's pretty hard to find two people to help you, and makes things kind of awkward in his opinion.

You can usually tell which people to avoid. If a guy is scowling or glaring- that's not a guy to ask for spotting. Just work on getting better at reading people to see who to avoid and who not to avoid. He thinks guys to avoid just give off an intimidating and angry aura. He says you should avoid the REALLY big guys because they'd most likely be aggressive during their workout session. Looking for someone around your size is best, since that means you can be his spotter too.

He says having a random bulge is far from abnormal while lifting weights, but it's not like every guy is running around with an erection. It still doesn't make things less awkward. Some guys are extremely homophobic and don't take too kindly to guys with erections. He also says that wearing a jock strap under some basketball shorts works wonders. The jockstrap isolates the bulging and keeps it in place. Basketball shorts are long and roomy, so it's easy to hide things in them. He's a 'big' guy, so if it works for him, it'll work for most guys.

Hope that helps. I think that's right. This stuff is some srs scurry bsns to read. By the way, this link is what he first used to teach himself how to do proper exercise techniques. I think he got diet advice from that site too.
Great tips, great website link. The material is well organized and illustrated, so it helps in understanding. Exercise names can vary, but the exercise itself is what's important.

Thanks,

Mdlftr
  #5   Add to justin's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 7th, 2012, 07:14 AM

justin is on a distinguished road
great responses, guys. overal i guess you just need to read the guy, and be polite.
I have an app that got me started called Fitness Buddy on iphone, but it doesnt give a lot of variation. great start though
  #6   Add to truffaldino's Reputation   Report Post  
Old November 7th, 2012, 01:52 PM

truffaldino is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to truffaldino
These are all good responses

These are all good responses, gentlemen. Much better responses than the one I might use. I have an idea of going to a gym, looking for the biggest guy in there, you know, one of those mastodons who can probably bench press a small Third World country, go up to him, especially when his back is to me, jump on him and shout, "Ride 'em cowboy"!

(Won't ever happen. At 275 pounds, I'm way too heavy for pretty much anybody have that much hurled at them. Oh well, a man can dream, can't he?)

Leandro

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options