The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Muscle & Mind
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Yesterday at 11:53 PM

Notices

Muscle & Mind Motivation, Inspiration and The Mind. What drives you?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 2.29 average. Display Modes
  #1   Add to olderguy's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 20th, 2013, 10:56 PM

olderguy is on a distinguished road
being intimidated in the gym

I am ok with the big guys in the gym, they can be very helpful, the problem I have is with the big girls. Do any of you other olderguys feel intimidated by the big girls? While visiting a gym in kansas last month I ran into this huge woman, had to be half my age, but she was one of those poeple who pack on the beef so much that their head looks to small for the body!!!! OMG I couldn't help but stare. She was cool, but when ever she looked my way I would look away. After a while I could feel she was uneasy about my presents but not becasue she was afraid of me. NO not at all. When she started walking toward me I just picked up my towel and headed for the locker room. Nothing happened but when I left the gym she stared me down. Honestly its really uncomfortable to be in that situation. Even if some of you younger guys have an opinion, how do you deal with it? I haven't been in the gym for 40 years.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to Aielyn's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 21st, 2013, 03:05 AM

Aielyn is on a distinguished road
Try striking up a conversation with her. Nothing destroys a feeling of intimidation faster than actually chatting with a person. And by the sounds of it, she's not trying to intimidate you.
  #3   Add to The Magus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 21st, 2013, 04:42 AM

The Magus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to The Magus
People in the gym are like bears in the forest: they're more afraid of you than you are of them*. Also, women bodybuilders have a rough niche: any woman who doesn't match society's "ideal" has to put up with stares, rude comments, derision, harrassment, etc, so the omwan you encountered probably had no idea that you were harmless because she's probably had every insult in the book thrown at her.

I agree with Aielyn, strike up a conversation with her...if she feels that you respect her dedication and don't mean any disrespect, she'll probably thaw a fair bit.

Or else, just relax and focus on your workout. The gym is for lifting weights, not people-watching.

*From what I understand, this is NOT true for bears: they will attack you for any number of reasons, especially grizzlies. They outweigh you by hundreds of pounds and are NOT scared of a puny human!
  #4   Add to cohzaku's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 13th, 2013, 05:13 PM

cohzaku is on a distinguished road
I just be polite and nice to anyone in the gym, The big people are typically some of the nicest ones there.I've had guys who make 200 lbs. look sickly skinny compliment me on my lifts, offer to spot me, be some of the sweetest people.

we're all there for similar goals, so be nice and niceness will be returned. That's been my experience.
  #5   Add to Bigm999's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 13th, 2013, 06:29 PM

Bigm999 is on a distinguished road
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderguy View Post
OMG I couldn't help but stare......Honestly its really uncomfortable to be in that situation. Even if some of you younger guys have an opinion, how do you deal with it? I haven't been in the gym for 40 years.
How do I deal with it?

DON'T STARE AT PEOPLE.

It's rude. It's offputting. You're making your own problem here.

Seriously, it's extremely rare to meet anybody at a gym that isn't reasonably polite - if you behave yourself.

If you act like a jerk - staring at people makes you a jerk - you'll be treated like one. Get some manners.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigm999 For This Useful Post:
inm (September 16th, 2013)
  #6   Report Post  
Old February 17th, 2013, 11:57 PM
Whorem

I can understand being a newcomer it must be difficult for you but please make sure to follow Gym etiquette. So don't stare anyone be a pleasant gym member.
  #7   Add to RosettaWood's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 6th, 2013, 08:31 PM

RosettaWood is on a distinguished road
I guess she has a business with you man, maybe she likes you? No one knows unless you approach her. Try to talk to her, eventually everything will be ok.
-Rosetta
  #8   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 7th, 2013, 08:42 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by olderguy View Post
I am ok with the big guys in the gym, they can be very helpful, the problem I have is with the big girls. Do any of you other olderguys feel intimidated by the big girls? While visiting a gym in kansas last month I ran into this huge woman, had to be half my age, but she was one of those poeple who pack on the beef so much that their head looks to small for the body!!!! OMG I couldn't help but stare. She was cool, but when ever she looked my way I would look away. After a while I could feel she was uneasy about my presents but not becasue she was afraid of me. NO not at all. When she started walking toward me I just picked up my towel and headed for the locker room. Nothing happened but when I left the gym she stared me down. Honestly its really uncomfortable to be in that situation. Even if some of you younger guys have an opinion, how do you deal with it? I haven't been in the gym for 40 years.
Old thread here.

My thoughts: If you "haven't been in a gym in 40 years," accept the fact that times have changed and the world moves on.

Today, women are engaged in all professions and sports where men are, {except the Catholic priesthood, but that's a discussion for another string!} and some where they aren't {uneven parallel bars -- very painful for a man to replicate some of those spins around the bar! Ouch!}

Women bodybuild just like men do. That certainly changes their bodies and is certainly "stare worthy" but you need to be circumspect.

Try to stick to yourself and just observe your surroundings, without trying to interact. Once you get a sense of what is going on, then you can try to interact. Some circumstances are NEVER going to be what you hope or expect. Some gyms are strictly business - workout and get out, some are more interactive: "Hey, howya doin'?"

I'm sure you've realized much of this by now.

Good luck and keep lifting!

Mdlftr
  #9   Add to RosettaWood's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 14th, 2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlftr View Post
Old thread here.

My thoughts: If you "haven't been in a gym in 40 years," accept the fact that times have changed and the world moves on.

Today, women are engaged in all professions and sports where men are, {except the Catholic priesthood, but that's a discussion for another string!} and some where they aren't {uneven parallel bars -- very painful for a man to replicate some of those spins around the bar! Ouch!}

Women bodybuild just like men do. That certainly changes their bodies and is certainly "stare worthy" but you need to be circumspect.

Try to stick to yourself and just observe your surroundings, without trying to interact. Once you get a sense of what is going on, then you can try to interact. Some circumstances are NEVER going to be what you hope or expect. Some gyms are strictly business - workout and get out, some are more interactive: "Hey, howya doin'?"

I'm sure you've realized much of this by now.

Good luck and keep lifting!

Mdlftr
I totally agree with you, very well said.
-Rosetta
  #10   Add to monstermusclebe's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 14th, 2013, 07:57 AM
Markus

monstermusclebe is on a distinguished road
No: Go and TALK to HER!!

If you are going to the same gym and are going to be seeing her again, the best thing to do is walk straight up to her and say, "Hi, I just wanted to say how impressed I am by your musculature. Last time I was in a gym, I never saw a woman as built as you. In fact, I have to admit, I'm a bit intimidated!."

Tell her the truth about how you feel, with a smile on your face.

She'll LOVE all that... and you will be able to get over the whole thing easily. She might even give you some pointers!
  #11   Add to inflated's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 15th, 2013, 09:04 AM

inflated is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermusclebe View Post
If you are going to the same gym and are going to be seeing her again, the best thing to do is walk straight up to her and say, "Hi, I just wanted to say how impressed I am by your musculature. Last time I was in a gym, I never saw a woman as built as you. In fact, I have to admit, I'm a bit intimidated!."

She'll LOVE all that... and you will be able to get over the whole thing easily. She might even give you some pointers!
The best advice most people are not jerks they will be glad you came up to them and introduced yourself.
  #12   Add to RosettaWood's Reputation   Report Post  
Old September 16th, 2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermusclebe View Post

Hi,
Nice! This is the best advice I guess. Telling the truth will not harm you at all especially when delivered in the most polite way. She might like you with this.
-Rosetta

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options