The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Male Muscle Growth > General
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 53 votes, 2.43 average. Display Modes
  #1   Add to Rarity's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 27th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Muscles go with anything~

Rarity is on a distinguished road
Very bad blackheads thanks to working out - can anyone help?

Ok, so more sweat means more pimple problems for guys. And my boyfriend is getting it really bad on his face, around the nose, cheeks, and even a bit on his chin. It's like the bigger he gets/more effort he puts in, the worse it gets. Which is super unfair and lame.

He's fair skinned so the areas with blackheads get flushed easily and he's getting pretty insecure about it. I made him try the good old glue trick, masks, and specialized strips to no avail. Those things just want to stay on his nose and cheeks. I think some of them are just too old to be removed with normal things like glue or masks. I wouldn't know since nobody in my family really has issues like this, not even my meathead brother (as if he'd help anyway).

Since there's a ton of guys here I assume you guys have great methods for getting rid of really stubborn blackheads on the nose and cheeks.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to Aardvark2's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 27th, 2013, 10:27 PM
Growing and Writing

Aardvark2 is on a distinguished road
Right when I was 21 - finally able to legally drink, really date and start trying to be a man - I had the biggest acne outbreak of my life. I had never had it bad when I was a teenager, but the combination of stress from college and all the hormones I was stirring up from my workouts apparently did me in. I've been pretty outspoken about my late blooming status, and this was the icing on the cake. It was pretty devastating.

Honestly, what worked for me was going to a dermatologist, which was (mostly) covered by my school health insurance. I think I would up paying about thirty bucks a visit, and I only had to go twice. He gave me cheap generic prescriptions and in a month, I was silky smooth, and have actually stayed that way since. I work out six days a week and immediately shower/wash my face afterward, and my skin is pristine. When a blackhead crops up, I'll admit I just pop them and then wash my face to really flush out the pore. Probably terrible advice, but it worked for me.

Skin can be funky. It's not just hygiene that can mess it up - it can also be stress or diet, which I'm sure you know. Just keep trying new methods and something will latch on, I promise. I feel for your bf, it can be really shitty to be a grown man feeling like a sixteen-year-old. He's lucky to have such a concerned lady by his side.
  #3   Add to Rarity's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 27th, 2013, 11:51 PM

Concerned isn't the word he'd use.

He has been taking Retin A for a long time now and that's not cutting it and he's really picky about face washing. Maybe popping them would be best since nothing works and once they're popped they don't look that bad.
  #4   Add to Ryoka's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 28th, 2013, 01:34 AM

Ryoka is on a distinguished road
I do not recommend popping them. Though not as potentially damaging as popping whiteheads can be, even blackheads need to be extracted with care. It's possible when popping a blackhead by pinching it to take the inner skin of the pore with it, which you do not want to happen.

You'll want to use a comedone expressor for this sort of thing if it's as many as you say it is. This guy details the process of using it on people where the local culture doesn't really focus much on skin care for the men. http://youtu.be/8PyO2nHnRHk

Warning, the above video may be gross to some.
  #5   Add to Adam_Cox's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 30th, 2013, 11:32 PM

Adam_Cox is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ★whim★ View Post
Concerned isn't the word he'd use.

He has been taking Retin A for a long time now and that's not cutting it and he's really picky about face washing. Maybe popping them would be best since nothing works and once they're popped they don't look that bad.
I use Tend Skin. (tendskin.com) It used to claim it worked great for acne (which is how I first started using it), but a warning letter from the FDA made them either remove the acne claim or submit a new drug application so they removed the claim, but it's still the same formula and it still works great on acne for me. You just wet a cotton round with it and then wipe your clean dry face with it.

I have no association with the mfgr and have been happily using it for acne for years. Good Luck.
  #6   Add to manlion's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 31st, 2013, 12:15 AM

manlion has disabled reputation
I always just pop them. Wait until they're properly developed, having a head or edge, THEN take 'em out. Just be careful to not attempt to early, overstressing the skin in the attempt, or too late, where the overdeveloped zits can stretch the pore or break down walls to make a bigger zit.

I've had middling acne since I was in my teens, not bad but continuous, inherited from my mom who still gets them in her 40s. (Overproducing sebum, skin oil.)
  #7   Add to nnnrg's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 31st, 2013, 02:28 PM

nnnrg is on a distinguished road
If he's seen a dermatologist, and the recommendations aren't working, he should see a different one. On the other hand, my regular doctor prescribed a shampoo treatment that has cleared up what I was convinced was psoriasis and what another doctor called Lupus (it's NEVER lupus except when it is) ... I've had terrible dandruff from this for 50 years now and this stuff cleared it up quickly. Ketoconozole. Requires a prescription.
  #8   Add to burlemarx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 31st, 2013, 06:43 PM

burlemarx is on a distinguished road
i've had terrible acne my whole life - i'm 31 years old now and still have zits on my face. i've tried everything and have had middling results at best.

the only, ONLY thing that gave me amazing, clear skin was Accutane, which was a miracle prescription medication back in the 90s and early 2000s. my pizza-faced BFF at the time (high school, late 90s) got on it and his face cleared up within 2 weeks and stayed crystal-clear the entire time he was on Accutane. i experienced the same results -- as long as you take Accutane, you will not have a single zit, no matter how many crazy hormones are racing through your body. unfortunately Accutane is no longer available because it's been linked to a bunch of intestinal diseases and etc. there was a famous court case where some actor sued the makers of Accutane because he had Irritable Bowel Syndrome so severe that he had to have his entire colon removed, as a result of taking Accutane for a while.

this guy i had a crush on a long time ago, who also has bad skin, mentioned that there was some kind of device you could buy on Amazon that's basically like a gun that delivers a mild electronic charge into a targeted zit, thereby killing the bacteria inside the zit and therefore making the zit clear itself up. but i had a falling-out with this guy before i could ask him if the results were worth the cost (i believe the device costs like $200 or something).
  #9   Add to burlemarx's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 31st, 2013, 06:56 PM

burlemarx is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryoka View Post
http://youtu.be/8PyO2nHnRHk

Warning, the above video may be gross to some.
uh.. yeah... no kidding dude i rank it right up there with the Synthol Boy in Brazil getting his arm drained of oil in the E.R. not exactly "My Little Pony" is it?
  #10   Add to monstermusclebe's Reputation   Report Post  
Old January 31st, 2013, 09:23 PM
Markus

monstermusclebe is on a distinguished road
Dr. Bronner's: 1/2 Tea Tree Oil and 1/2 Lavender.

I don't know if this would work for you, but I can tell you it is a necessity for me, given how much I workout, sweat and get dirty.

Now, I am not prone to acne as an adult ~ UNLESS I workout regularly and intensely.

Which I do.

So, then, I mean yes, I am prone to acne as an adult.

Your boyfriend is getting facial acne. I can if I don't wash my face with a great, natural cleanser.

I can also get pretty bad acne on my back, shoulders, triceps, and even some nasty ones on my butt and face... IF I don't wash daily with my own blend of Dr. Bronner's soaps, most especially right after my workouts, but truly just after any time I get dirt-sweaty or gym-sweaty.

But if I do ~ wash daily with my own special blend of Dr. Bronner's: 1/2 Lavender and 1/2 Tea Tree Oil ~ I then rarely get this problem. My skin remains clear.

I created the soap blend of 1/2 Dr. Bronner's Lavender and 1/2 Dr. Bronner's Tea Tree Oil because ~well, though the Tea Tree Oil version itself immediately cleared up my acne, it also over time began to feel harsh on my skin, and even began to feel a bit like a slow acidic burn on my skin, over time. So I added 1/2 lavender.

And that has worked great for me, personally, for years and years.

No acne... so long as I also actually USE it when I most need it, which is pretty right after I have finished getting all sweaty and/or grimy, or both. For example, if I wait six hours ~ especially regularly over a period of a week or so ~ then I'll still get acne, though not as bad as it would if I were washing with "regular" soap.
  #11   Add to Rarity's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 1st, 2013, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnnrg View Post
If he's seen a dermatologist, and the recommendations aren't working, he should see a different one. On the other hand, my regular doctor prescribed a shampoo treatment that has cleared up what I was convinced was psoriasis and what another doctor called Lupus (it's NEVER lupus except when it is) ... I've had terrible dandruff from this for 50 years now and this stuff cleared it up quickly. Ketoconozole. Requires a prescription.
He's actually using Revitra for his hair and ketoconozole is in it as an active ingredient. I don't think he should be using it on his face, though. Then again, he uses a lady razor to shave his face and surprisingly it works well and doesn't irritate his skin. So if something a bit weird like that works, maybe antidandruff shampoo might help his blackheads.
  #12   Add to inm's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 1st, 2013, 10:26 AM

inm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to inm
yah.. gyms are very bacteria-friendly. sweat + dirty hands..
tell him to always use a towel on benches, machines.
Never touch his face while training.
  #13   Add to nnnrg's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 2nd, 2013, 10:36 AM

nnnrg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ★whim★ View Post
He's actually using Revitra for his hair and ketoconozole is in it as an active ingredient. I don't think he should be using it on his face, though.
I was directed to put the stuff on any skin that had the dermatitis, and it worked to reduce the inflammation. Since it's a shampoo, the directions were to put the lather on the affected areas, let it remain for about a minute, then wash it out completely.

I liked the recommendation above for making special soap but I have a problem for myself with Tea tree oil - it's anti-androgenic, and has cause gynecomastia in one or two cases, because topical applications still get into the body. It's derived from plants grown in Australia, and it's not clear what the environmental impact of the farming is from what I've read. However, be advised that the stuff is toxic to ingest.

While I'm on the subject of anti-androgenic - avoid ANY AND ALL gel soap that contains the alleged anti-bacterial ingredient "Triclosan" - which has been found in some studies to reduce testosterone levels in regular users. Nasty stuff. Besides which, regular soap and water works just as well as these anti-bacterials.

TEA Lauryl Sulfate is even worse - it starts out as palm kernel oil, and the process of growing these palms is slash-and-burn at its worst, practiced in the islands around southeast asia, and has been steadily eroding the habitat of (at least) orangutan, tiger, and other endangered species.
  #14   Add to flamedelft's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 2nd, 2013, 01:54 PM

flamedelft has disabled reputation
Frequent changing of his pillowcase (basically just sleep on one side, flip the pillow, sleep, wash the pillowcase, rinse and repeat) could also help (or buy a bunch of cheap towels/use old (clean) t-shirts instead of pillowcases) to control the build up of bacteria that comes in contact with his face during sleep. (This should be pretty harmless, unless he was sensitive to something in the washing powder thingie (or softener or whatever).)
  #15   Add to Big RR's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 14th, 2013, 03:40 PM

Big RR is on a distinguished road
Lots of great suggestion guys...if you can, make a quick visit to a dermatologist and get a script for doxycycline. WONDERFUL STUFF! MILD ANTIBIOTIC THAT A LOT OF BODYBUILDERS INCLUDING THE PRO'S USE FOR BACNE AND ROID ACNE! And it's very cheap! Love seeing a mild case of roid acne on a huge dudes big shoulders or thick lats! Makes me hard knowing the guy is into juice, getting freaky huge and stronger than Superman just like I am! Of course there is such a thing as to much roid acne, my buddy gets it so bad he bleeds on his sheets and pillow cases but loves his roids and the mind blowing muscle and strength gains!! I introduced him to doxycycline and within 5 days it had really regressed, was no longer gross and well on it's way to clearing up. Any guys here use it? Have a great weekend guys! Get huge! FREAKY HUGE AND STRONGER THAN 10 SUPERMEN! ROAR!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best, Big RR
  #16   Add to iluvbigmen's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 14th, 2013, 06:25 PM

iluvbigmen is on a distinguished road
You need to post more details about him:
1. What's his diet like? Does he eat nuts? Big cause of Acne can be nuts, or other food .... they cause oil glands ( sebaceous glands ) to over produce oil as if they were in hyper puberty.

2. If Retin-A isn't working, he can try Accutane, which is more powerful and a pill ... but some people say it causes depression. Both of these work by accelerating skin cell growth so the white/black head is pushed to the top quicker, and old skins cells slough off easier as opposed to clogging the pore and causing a blackhead or acne. I must say if Retin-A isn't working ( make sure its the 1.0% cream, not gel, the strongest ) , my hunch is its something he is ingesting now that he didn't prior to the acne breakouts.
In that case, no acne med will help since the root cause is what he's ingesting and its somewhat of an allergic reaction... acne meds do not attack that, they shrink oil glands in some cases or are anti-biotics , but if he's eating something or taking something constantly, once the medication stops, the acne will return as the oil glands will return to their normal state or hyper active state.

3. Does he shower in the morning and at night? That is key, and using a soap that is non-comodogenic and hypoallergenic... such as Neutrogena Acne Wash or Johnson & Johnson Purpose ... DONOT USE BODY TOWEL TO DRY FACE ... use a paper towel with no dye, perfume etc.... or just let it air dry.

4. I highly recommend changing pillow cases every night, if it facial acne, HUGE difference

5. Make sure you are not using fabric softener, you can use white vinegar instead and it actually works much better. The vinegar softens, protects colors, and takes away residue ... and the great thing is, NO SMELL. Its a head scratcher, but it works, google it. Also make sure to use HYPOALLERGENIC DYE AND PERFUME FREE detergent ... that's a MUST.

6. Message me if you have further questions, I have a plethora of knowledge on this topic and I was a professional medical consultant for years. PS You can also use a glycolic acid wash, I recommend one of the MD Forte line .... Facial Cleaner i or ii or iii ( 3 different strengths ) .... let it sit on the blackheads for a few minutes ( be careful, its powerful and can burn if skin is too light and you leave it on too long ), and the blackheads will be reduced in size and be easier to get out, if not dissapear all together, plus it meets all the criteria for hypoallergenic and noncomodongenic and will actually hydrate his face a bit compared to salicylic acid.

Last edited by iluvbigmen; February 14th, 2013 at 06:38 PM.
  #17   Add to Curiosity's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 14th, 2013, 07:35 PM

Curiosity is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvbigmen View Post
2. If Retin-A isn't working, he can try Accutane, which is more powerful and a pill ... but some people say it causes depression. Both of these work by accelerating skin cell growth so the white/black head is pushed to the top quicker, and old skins cells slough off easier as opposed to clogging the pore and causing a blackhead or acne. I must say if Retin-A isn't working ( make sure its the 1.0% cream, not gel, the strongest ) , my hunch is its something he is ingesting now that he didn't prior to the acne breakouts.
In that case, no acne med will help since the root cause is what he's ingesting and its somewhat of an allergic reaction... acne meds do not attack that, they shrink oil glands in some cases or are anti-biotics , but if he's eating something or taking something constantly, once the medication stops, the acne will return as the oil glands will return to their normal state or hyper active state.
Accutane also causes digestive disorders. I know people who developed Crohn's Disease and/or Ulcerative Colitis after they took it for a few years. Steer clear.
  #18   Add to brutus's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 15th, 2013, 10:36 AM

brutus is on a distinguished road
I have heard lots of horror stories from people that have taken prescriptions like Acutaine for acne. There are many cheap, natural things that can be done. Some have been mentioned earlier, like washing clothes & sheets w/vinegar, and using free & clear detergents, and daily pillow case changes.

Exfoliating with a loofa, and bathing in water with a LOT of salt (like 3-4 cups) is helpful too. Also natural & unscented soaps & shampoos are a must.
  #19   Add to Rarity's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 15th, 2013, 07:12 PM

Ew Accutane. It also has been linked to causing depression and hair loss. Tetracycline does almost the same thing as Accutane too, so you can't really win with oral medications to treat acne. He's doing better now with the blackheads. I told him to use the good old exfoliate -> glue -> squeeze trick and it got rid of many of his blackheads. There's still a few, but my guess is if he keeps doing that every few days they will eventually uproot.
  #20   Add to iluvbigmen's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 17th, 2013, 02:54 PM

iluvbigmen is on a distinguished road
I agree about Accutane side effects, but it does work the best as proven in studies, and if we're talking about roid acne, ... taking roids is probably for someone who can deal with side effects.

Its great to remove the blackheads so the skin can heal, but remember, if you don't cure the root cause, more will continue to crop up.
  #21   Add to racecar's Reputation   Report Post  
Old February 17th, 2013, 06:39 PM

racecar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to racecar
This thing sounds like it's total BS, but look up blue light therapy for acne. My friend, who's had moderate to severe acne for 15 years, got one about three weeks ago. She's done every treatment under the sun, and this has been the most effective by far. Also, NO SIDE EFFECTS. I'm amazed at how much it's helped in such a short amount of time.

Link: http://www.tanda.com/products/clear-plus.html

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options