The Evolution Forum

Go Back   The Evolution Forum > Bodybuilding > Training
Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Training Tips, Techniques, and Routines.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to bulkybud's Reputation   Report Post  
Old March 17th, 2013, 07:07 AM

bulkybud is on a distinguished road
Starting to Cut

Well, my pasta days may be over or at least very reduced starting next Wednesday. I said I would start trying to lose some bodyfat when it's spring and Spring starts Wednesday.

I like being big and strong (currently weighing about 270 lbs)- I'm lifting heavier than I ever have in my life, getting lots of ego-boosting comments about being big, lifting a lot of weight, and I'm starting to move into XXXL shirts, and have been enjoying just being bulky.

But there's a lot of fat hiding the muscles and a loss of 30-40 pounds should make a great improvement.

I'm not in any hurry about it- I'm planning doing it right with a slow, steady fat reduction over as much time as it takes.

So... what are people's experiences with cutting? Any tips on keeping as much muscle and strength as possible while losing the bodyfat?

Thanks,
bulkybud
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to silong's Reputation   Report Post  
Old April 30th, 2013, 12:44 PM

silong is on a distinguished road
You gotta keep protein high. Even higher than you were when you were bulking to minimise strength and muscle loss but its gonna happen.

There is a diet called Cyclical Ketogenic Diet - very similar to Atkins. Spend 6 days keeping carbs under 50g/day (less than 20 preferably) for 6 days then carbs madly on the 7th. This theoretically halts muscle loss and can even result in muscle gain during the cutting period. Personally I really struggled with this. Felt tired permanently which is meant to pass after a few days.

I prefer a healthy portion of good carbs while cutting. I've got a book by Michael Matthews which states when cutting eat 1.2g of protein/lb of body weight; 1g of carbs/lb of bodyweight; and 1g of healthy fats/5lbs of body weight a day. This really worked for me and it was less restrictive than CKD and I could maintain it for longer. Got really good results.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to silong For This Useful Post:
Jaekel (April 30th, 2013)

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options