Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

General General discussion about male muscle growth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to nvb2's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 10th, 2013, 02:05 PM

nvb2 is on a distinguished road
When is too young to start bodybuilding?

So, after watching a video on Youtube last night, I saw a related video which got my attention called "World's Strongest Kids." Intrigued, I clicked to view it and was left confused. It's a brief showing of two young Romainian brothers around the ages of four or five whose father started them weightlifting and "bodybuilding" at the age of 2. They apparently hold world records and can do some amazing stuff, but I have always heard it said that these types of things are dangerous to do before the body has properly developed as it can stunt some growth or cause other damage.

On the one hand, I think it could be awesome that one day they will have a great head start or foundation if they choose to pursue an athletic field. On the other hand, I worry for potential health issues for the kids.

I was curious what others thought. I'll post some information below on how to find the video--I don't feel quite right putting a direct link here (call me crazy).

Search Youtube for "world's strongest kids" and it should be the first (non-sponsored) result. Video posted by diagonaluk. Video id: nkrrKvgDWC8
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to I<3Muscles's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 10th, 2013, 03:23 PM

I<3Muscles is on a distinguished road
Getting kids to build muscle that early cannot be healthy. I'd say the earliest to begin bodybuilding is 13, and only for a good, healthy kid without any health issues and with a balanced diet free of drugs.

Preteen musclegods are a really cool fantasy, but... they should remain a fantasy. Not only is it probably very damaging, it's also pretty disgusting when you think about the implications of training kids to get ripped that early.
The Following User Says Thank You to I<3Muscles For This Useful Post:
nvb2 (May 10th, 2013)
  #3   Add to Aielyn's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 11th, 2013, 01:36 AM

Aielyn is on a distinguished road
Age isn't the concern. If a child wants to build their body, they should be allowed to... under strict supervision, of course. What becomes a problem is when the child is pushed into it (AKA "being started" on it), or allowed to do it with bad form, or otherwise put at risk by the activity.

The only health risk in bodybuilding for a child is the same health risk that applies to anybody else - risk of injury, etc.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aielyn For This Useful Post:
Big RR (May 13th, 2013), nvb2 (May 12th, 2013), The Magus (May 14th, 2013)
  #4   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 11th, 2013, 09:28 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aielyn View Post
Age isn't the concern. If a child wants to build their body, they should be allowed to... under strict supervision, of course. What becomes a problem is when the child is pushed into it (AKA "being started" on it), or allowed to do it with bad form, or otherwise put at risk by the activity.

The only health risk in bodybuilding for a child is the same health risk that applies to anybody else - risk of injury, etc.
True, about the risk of injury.

Also, since some people think the drugs and supplementing are a part of bodybuilding, that aspect would potentially be more harmful to children and others who have not yet gone through puberty, as the artificial elevation of hormone levels in their bodies would have negative consequences. These could include premature closure of the bone ends (actual word is something like epipheseal growth plates, but I'm using an easier word to express the same idea) leading to shorter adult heights than would otherwise be indicated, elevated blood pressure and cholesterol levels, possibly leading to coronary disease, and skin blemishes (zits) due to higher levels of oil production.

The exercise part is fine for pre-pubertal children.

Mdlftr
  #5   Add to Aielyn's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 12th, 2013, 02:46 AM

Aielyn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlftr View Post
Also, since some people think the drugs and supplementing are a part of bodybuilding, that aspect would potentially be more harmful to children and others who have not yet gone through puberty, as the artificial elevation of hormone levels in their bodies would have negative consequences.
Well, to me, those aren't even remotely part of bodybuilding. They're part of a culture developed in society in which the quickest and easiest path to your goal is the best one. I'm the kind of bodybuilder who doesn't even use Whey protein, because it has to be chemically extracted from the milk, rather than, for instance, egg white protein, which can be obtained in powdered form by simply evaporating off the water. I'm very "whole food only".

That might give more sense of the perspective from which I've said what I said in my last post.
  #6   Add to Curiosity's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 12th, 2013, 10:26 AM

Curiosity is on a distinguished road
I agree with I<3Muscles. I think right around the start of puberty is the earliest anyone should start bodybuilding. Beyond whatever assumptions people make about bodybuilding (hopefully no one in this world is actually dumb enough to let a pre-teen juice), if we're talking about actual bodybuilding and not just occasionally letting your son work out with you I think it's too regimented for kids. Obsessive dieting and intense scheduling to work certain body parts on certain days aren't things that kids should deal with.

Imagine you came across a 7 year-old who clearly had a lot of muscle but it was under a layer of fat, and the kid says, "Yeah, my dad has me bulking." What would your gut reaction to that be? Mine would be along the lines of "What the F@%#?! That's messed up."

I don't think anyone should start bodybuilding until they're hormonally, physiologically, and somewhat more mentally ready for something like that. Just let your kid be a kid.
The Following User Says Thank You to Curiosity For This Useful Post:
nvb2 (May 12th, 2013)
  #7   Add to cutlerfan's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 13th, 2013, 03:37 AM
Master of Muscle RP

cutlerfan has disabled reputation
I recall reading a research study several years ago that said kids under the age of 15 or 16 can benefit from light weight training. I hope I explain it properly. The study said their muscle fibers split and copy themselves when exposed to light workouts as a pre-teen. This doubling of muscle fibers means they will have much bigger muscles when they lift weights later. The study specified that light weights be used to stimulate the doubling of muscle fibers. This explains why kids who start to lift at a younger age get bigger later even when they don't seem to grow much for a few years. The report also said that the goal was to stimulate the muscle fibers before and during puberty; not to cause muscle tearing just muscle fiber doubling. The hard stress of full lifting was not beneficial since the energy of the pre-teen was mostly consumed by the natural maturation process and there would not be enough energy available to aid the growth of the body and repair the tearing. In other words..use light weights for more reps. I hope the article I read helps. It would be best to do some on-line research about pre-teen bodybuilding instruction and research.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cutlerfan For This Useful Post:
Big RR (May 13th, 2013), nvb2 (May 13th, 2013), tom256 (May 13th, 2013)
  #8   Add to tom256's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 13th, 2013, 06:38 AM

tom256 is on a distinguished road
Usually, the kids who start bodybuilding are, most of the time made to by their parents. Its the problem of pushy parents who force a lifestyle upon children, so in a sense, they end up with hardly a childhood at all. Same with these beauty pageant things or even some Olympic athletes. The bad news is this can't be changed, as some parents think they have a right to control the lives of their kids. The parents also get their kids to do it usually for their own personal glory, rather than 'wanting' the child to do their best.
Well this is my opinion anyway. I understand that some children might actually learn to love it quite early, then OK, but from what I read and watch it just frequently seems to be the parents.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tom256 For This Useful Post:
Big RR (May 13th, 2013), nvb2 (May 13th, 2013)
  #9   Add to Big RR's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 13th, 2013, 07:45 PM

Big RR is on a distinguished road
I've seen the video and agree with you! Although you would have to admit that both of the kids seem to really be interested and into it, showing off and implying that they would love to become even bigger and stronger! The male voice in the back ground working the video camera sounds like the one who has encouraged them and is pushing them ti get bigger and stronger.....the guy, hopefully their father, although sounding supportive while encouraging them sounds like he might get aroused by the little muscle freaks. Let's hope he's not perving over them yet! Also the Czech's, Germans and Russians have started their boys on roids at a very young age and have for a very long time however, this is way to young! Roided up teen Czech', Russian and Gernan boys have made me throbbing hard once or twice but damn is it hard seeing what huge muscle freaks they become as an adult!
The Following User Says Thank You to Big RR For This Useful Post:
nvb2 (May 13th, 2013)
  #10   Add to Ragetiger's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 13th, 2013, 08:49 PM

Ragetiger is on a distinguished road
There is no age limit on physical health and fitness. Think about those that are in gymnastics or are swimmers. Hell even grade school have Physical Education. It should be under supervision and to give them time to recover.

What's next, saying people over the age of 50 can't lift cause they might hurt themselves? People can't play sports if they aren't in school? It's people that say children shouldn't exercise that contributes to childhood obesity.

I do keep a few other shots in the scraps folder http://www.furaffinity.net/user/ragetiger/
The Following User Says Thank You to Ragetiger For This Useful Post:
nvb2 (May 13th, 2013)
  #11   Add to Mdlftr's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 14th, 2013, 05:44 AM

Mdlftr will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragetiger View Post
There is no age limit on physical health and fitness. Think about those that are in gymnastics or are swimmers. Hell even grade school have Physical Education. It should be under supervision and to give them time to recover.

What's next, saying people over the age of 50 can't lift cause they might hurt themselves? People can't play sports if they aren't in school? It's people that say children shouldn't exercise that contributes to childhood obesity.
Sadly, at various times, "people" have said ALL of the above! Ignorance never ends...It just goes underground for a while.
  #12   Add to Curiosity's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 14th, 2013, 02:45 PM

Curiosity is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragetiger View Post

I'd argue that for kids, there's a difference between "physical health and fitness" and bodybuilding. Encouraging your kids to be active and eat healthy is a separate thing from putting them through a two-hour regimen every morning.

And don't get all slippery slope. Comparing "kids should wait to start bodybuilding until their hormones start producing" to "only students are allowed to be athletes" is like comparing "people should recognize that the sky is blue and not cornflower" to "blue doesn't get to be a color any more." Neither one has any logical relation to the other.
  #13   Add to Ragetiger's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 14th, 2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiosity View Post
I'd argue that for kids, there's a difference between "physical health and fitness" and bodybuilding. Encouraging your kids to be active and eat healthy is a separate thing from putting them through a two-hour regimen every morning.

And don't get all slippery slope. Comparing "kids should wait to start bodybuilding until their hormones start producing" to "only students are allowed to be athletes" is like comparing "people should recognize that the sky is blue and not cornflower" to "blue doesn't get to be a color any more." Neither one has any logical relation to the other.
No matter how you want to slice it, body building is a form of being active. At some point one has to let the parents raise their children the way they want. If this is how he wants his kids to be active and healthy then that's how it's going to be. Just look at all the parents that put their children though gymnastics and that's far worse on the joints than body building will ever be.

I do keep a few other shots in the scraps folder http://www.furaffinity.net/user/ragetiger/
  #14   Add to Muscle-Shape's Reputation   Report Post  
Old May 29th, 2013, 08:26 PM

Muscle-Shape is on a distinguished road
i don't see why they would have to wait till puberty noone has proven that a 10 year old who chooses to do bodybuilding is at risk of anything worse happening to him than a guy whos 20
  #15   Add to LauraNelson's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 5th, 2013, 12:10 AM

LauraNelson is on a distinguished road
Younger than 20. Guys who are elder than 20 could start bodybuilding. So they can concentrate and workout more. Teenagers and kids need to concentrate on their studies, until they quit from school.
  #16   Add to Ragetiger's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 5th, 2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraNelson View Post
Younger than 20. Guys who are elder than 20 could start bodybuilding. So they can concentrate and workout more. Teenagers and kids need to concentrate on their studies, until they quit from school.
You can balance school and lifting. I could go as far as saying those over 20 have to focus on their careers. It's already been proven that homework does nothing more than bring school home with them.

http://www.alfiekohn.org/teaching/edweek/homework.htm it's an older article but it's still proven that more time studying does nothing more than create a second shift of schooling.

#17   Add to Ogun's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 5th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Flaming Dreamer

Ogun is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Ogun Send a message via Skype™ to Ogun
whatever you do, don't use steroids as a teen-if I remember correctly it can cause your bones to close up too early so you may not end up your fill possible height. I may well be wrong.

My Squiby!
php

My Brute! (non-Muxxu) http://perveron.mybrute.com
Muxxu info: RedCrab
  #18   Add to Berzerkerjoe's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 5th, 2013, 11:50 PM

Berzerkerjoe is on a distinguished road
I suppose anywhere under their teens. They need to start at their teens when testosterone starts to develop when they hit puberty. 13-14 might be cutting it close but probably when they become 15-16 they can officially start pursuing bodybuilding.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options