Welcome, Anonymous.
You last visited: Today at 04:56 AM

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Add to AT2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 19th, 2013, 07:50 PM

AT2000 is on a distinguished road
Regarding GBM's Story: "You Call that a Muscle?"

Please post comments not related directly to the Story here.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
  #2   Add to skumbum's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 19th, 2013, 09:12 PM

skumbum is on a distinguished road
Ugh, don't remove it.
  #3   Add to AT2000's Reputation   Report Post  
Old June 20th, 2013, 05:57 AM

AT2000 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skumbum View Post
Ugh, don't remove it.
I currently don?t intend to remove the story, but will hold off for a while on posting part two until I am more confident that posting the story doesn?t ruffle any feathers.

There seem to be (at least) a couple of points of view on the propriety of posting stories that have other stories as their inspiration or jumping-off points. I see it as a good thing - a kind of creative cross-pollination that leads to more stories being written and I have been on both sides of the issue as both original writer and one who writes altered versions.

I even had one of my stories posted here (unaltered) with no credit at all, and my brain never went to the place of feeling like I was being ripped off. In my opinion, anyone who puts anything on the internet and expects to remain in absolute control of that content is deluding themselves.

This is not to say that every common courtesy shouldn't be extended to the original writer by way of crediting them and their story as inspiration.

But if, on the other hand, others do see it as ripping off the original writer (even with full disclosure regarding how the new story relates to the original one) and something that shouldn?t happen without that writer?s permission, then that perspective is every bit as valid as mine and I?m not interested in arguing an issue that I don't think can be resolved, especially when I am not able to contact the original writer and can not guarantee which perspective he might subscribe to.

Therefore if anyone has a serious objection, I will err on the side of not offending and remove the story.

If it comes to that, then I might be able to edit out whatever fraction of the new story that overlaps with the original, change the title, and not mention the writer that inspired it upon reposting. This would be tedious and it would feel weird not to acknowledge GBM, but it might eliminate confusion and alleviate any misgivings.

It would however, require that I had an intact original version of GBM's story, so if anyone can provide me with one, I would appreciate it.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline
Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Switch Editor Mode
Options